Is it right for pay to be cut to work from home?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
The problem is someone is getting more for the same work. The work is identical.
You remind me of this one guy who was always nosy about what everybody else made, because he wanted to make certain he was getting just as much as everybody else.

Occasionally when the boys were sitting around the break room, one of them would make up a story about a bonus he got, just to start this guy complaining about being cheated because he didn't get the imaginary bonus. :LOL:

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Here it has been said, "we work just hard enough we don't get fired, they pay us just enough that we don't quit".
:unsure::giggle::coffee:
Yeah, I work with some of those. The rest of us try to ignore and work around them as best we can. :cautious:

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
Those were the ones who complained, "How come you always get the good jobs?"

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Those were the ones who complained, "How come you always get the good jobs?"
Actually they're the ones who gloat about not being on the work schedule when the corporate guy is expected.

I could explain to them WHY they are not on the schedule, but that would be like teaching a pig to sing - it would do no good and it would annoy the pig.

No worries though. I never have to put up with them long. They always wash out for some reason or other. I mostly just work around them and wait for them to not show up one day.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
Actually that was the response I heard at various places, to which I have responded, 'the cream rises to the top"!

T

TheIndianGirl

Many jobs where you are able to work remotely could be potentially outsourced to other countries or even cheaper parts of the U.S. Keep that in mind. That could be driving down wages.

Mar 9, 2022
The work is NOT identical. If you work from home you don't have to go to an office. You don't even have to get dressed and go outside.

But even if the work was identical, which rate is right? What sets the monetary value of the work the employee is doing? How do you know the stay-at-home rate is not the more equitable one?
In my line of work the work is computers. I can do the same work as someone can do from an office as I can work remotely.

The work is identical. I can hold meetings on webcam. Although I hate meetings.

I think it is morally wrong to pay someone less for the same output or product unit of work. I won't be that person.

Mar 9, 2022
I would rather the option to work from home. I just don't want a pay cut to do so.

I think the market rate is what the job was advertised for - it has no bearing on the existence of the work from home rate. If the work is exactly same it should be identical.

Mar 9, 2022
Many jobs where you are able to work remotely could be potentially outsourced to other countries or even cheaper parts of the U.S. Keep that in mind. That could be driving down wages.
You're correct that offshoring places a downward pressure on salaries for work that can be done from any geographic region.

I would hope I can be different enough to warrant the higher salary.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
I would rather the option to work from home. I just don't want a pay cut to do so.

I think the market rate is what the job was advertised for - it has no bearing on the existence of the work from home rate. If the work is exactly same it should be identical.
So the question you asked in this thread is not really a question. You have already decided and you are just looking for people who will agree with you, so you can justify your foul mood about it.

Your options are still the same. You can go to the office for one rate or stay home for a lesser rate. How much you grumble and complain about it does not affect anything.

In fact, even if you were fully justified in complaining about it, even if the company was morally wrong in this matter, it still wouldn't make any difference. You would still have exactly the same options.

You might as well choose whether you want to go to the office or stay home, and do the job and be happy. It sure beats the alternatives of doing your job and complaining or quitting your job in a huff.