Is lashing out at others in political news comments sections a sin? (Poll)

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Is lashing out at others in political news comments sections a sin?

• YES its a sin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NO its not a sin

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • I don't really know

• Is this a trick question?

• Stop wasting my time with these polls

• Zero makes the best polls :)

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Other (explain)

• Total voters
Aug 2, 2009
Is lashing out at others in political news comments sections a sin? (wait for the Poll)

Is there any scripture that says something like, "Thou shall not talk back to those who insult your views and opinion"?

Pick ALL that apply! (Multiple choice)

Last edited:

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
I think there's something in the Bible about not wasting time in a vain dispute. Vain as in pointless, not vain as in prideful.

Though pride probably comes into play in a big way. "I'm right, you're wrong, but I can't get you to admit it so I'm just going to yell at you until either you give up and admit it or go away and let me have this comment section for myself and those who agree with me."

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Second opinion: Does it have to be a sin to be something we should avoid? Technically smashing my finger with a hammer isn't a SIN, but it's probably not a good idea, even if I lost a bet or somebody dared me to do it. Blasting people in the comments section of a news article, political or otherwise, is about as damaging and pointless as the hammer applied to the finger.

Actually, if we take into account all the high blood pressure that is caused and the resultant toll on health, the political news article's comment section is probably worse for people.

Aug 2, 2009
I think there's something in the Bible about not wasting time in a vain dispute. Vain as in pointless, not vain as in prideful.

Though pride probably comes into play in a big way. "I'm right, you're wrong, but I can't get you to admit it so I'm just going to yell at you until either you give up and admit it or go away and let me have this comment section for myself and those who agree with me."
I think you mean the scripture about avoiding arguments about the law and geneologies.. But I don't actually mean arguing, I mean like when someone says, "You ___s are dumber than rocks".... and you answer, "You can hate us all you want while we keep winning and you keep losing elections.."

G

Galatea

It depends on what you mean as lashing out at others. If it descends into name calling and personal insults, it might be a sin. I surely don't think debate is a sin, nor disagreeing with others' opinions. I know there is the idea that it makes no difference as peoples' opinions are set and people rarely change their minds. But perhaps debate can help one know better why one has certain opinions. Maybe it is not about trying to convince someone else, but working out your thoughts for yourself.

I never believe thinking is sinful.

Desertsrose

Oct 24, 2016
Hi Zero,

It's only a sin if we lash out at one another in the Christian single's forum! :) hahahah!!!

Ephesians 4:21 Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, so that it will give grace to those who hear.

Romans 14:19 So then we pursue the things which make for peace and the building up of one another.

Colossians 4:6 Let your speech always be with grace, as though seasoned with salt, so that you will know how you should respond to each person.

D

Dragone_47

What Desertrose said and this verse:

Romans 12:18 If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.

So, I believe you can debate peaceably...but when it becomes 'lashing' or non-peaceful, then Romans 12:18's line has been crossed.

Aug 2, 2009
I guess by "lashing out" I mean posting a smart comeback to their insults.. :rolleyes: (not an insulting comeback, just a smart one..)

G

Galatea

I guess by "lashing out" I mean posting a smart comeback to their insults.. :rolleyes: (not an insulting comeback, just a smart one..)
It's alright to be witty and clever- just not mean and hateful. I think it is a mistake to think Christians have to be completely devoid of humor. C.S. Lewis was a Christian, and a witty man. Jonathan Swift was a Christian, and scathingly sarcastic. I don't think becoming a Christian submerges our personalities. If a person is witty before salvation, it is alright to be witty after salvation. The problem comes in personal attacks, I think.

Tommy379

Notorious Member
Jan 12, 2016
What's the point in having a news forum if I can't lash out and write some crap?

cinder

Mar 26, 2014
Well I seem to remember something in James 3 about the tongue can't be tamed and didn't Jesus say something about anyone who says to his brother Raca or you fool will be in danger of judgement during the sermon on the mount? It's definitely behavior that reflects poorly on Christ, so why would we feel the need to engage in it? There's no good return on the time invested arguing with people who have no interest in listening to another opinion.