Is man born with a sin nature?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jan 7, 2015
I’ve heard some discuss recently if man is born with a sin nature, and I would like to take the time to comment on this issue according to scripture. I absolutely believe man is born with a nature to sin. This nature was introduced into the world through Adams sin, and the spirit of it also dwells in the firstborn nature of man.

We are told in
Romans 5:12 “Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:”

This is what I believe Paul was showing here in the law of
sin and death in
Romans 8:2 “For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death. Also Paul also said in Romans 5:19 “For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.”

There are 2 seeds, just as there are 2 natures. The first is
earthy and of the flesh and is also carnally minded which is of the spirit of this world, and found in the first Adam. The second is of the Holy Spirit, and is of God, sent forth in the seed of Promise, even in our Lord Jesus from heaven.

Here is an example of the first nature in
Ephesians 2:3 “Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.”

Now some believe there is an age of accountability for children, but I believe the scriptures also prove this idea false. In
Psalm 51:5 “Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me.” And also here in Psalm 58:3 “The wicked are estranged from the womb: they go astray as soon as they be born, speaking lies.” Also the Lord said in Genesis 8:21… for the imagination of man's heart is evil from his youth; ….”

So that is some sound scriptural proof to confirm, but think about this; if man did not have a
sin nature from first being born of the flesh and also carnally minded, then why would man have to be “born again” and made a “new man” in Christ by the Holy Spirit?

The
old man of sin must die, and the body of sin must also be destroyed. And when this happens in Christ, we then are also raised up a new man in Him and given a new nature and mind by the Spirit of God.

Our hearts must be changed, and the
spirit of our minds must be renewed in Jesus Christ
Ephesians 4:23 “And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;

Jesus4ever

May 18, 2015
I agree we all born with a sin nature and he only way to holiness is by Jesus!

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
hmm... what is the difference between being born with a sinful nature and being born with a nature to sin? Obviously we were not created in the beginning with a sinful nature as we had yet to be inflicted with sin however because of free will we did have the nature TO sin because eve gave in first then Adam. But after that I wonder if we actually were born with a sinful nature due to the fact our blood was corrupted from the first man and women.

Jan 7, 2015
hmm... what is the difference between being born with a sinful nature and being born with a nature to sin? Obviously we were not created in the beginning with a sinful nature as we had yet to be inflicted with sin however because of free will we did have the nature TO sin because eve gave in first then Adam. But after that I wonder if we actually were born with a sinful nature due to the fact our blood was corrupted from the first man and women.
It's not that our blood is corrupted like sin by way of genes or blood cells, but are hearts and minds were by the spirit of this world.

1 Corinthians 2:12
Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.

Ephesians 2:2
Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:

Ephesians 6:12
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Feb 24, 2015
Over the years I have not liked the definition of original sin, or a sinful nature because it did not make sense to me.
I came across a fundamental problem in peoples development, the need to love ones parents and the betrayal and denial in growing up that often distorts peoples lives permanently.

The theme is once people shut down this love, they shut down their sensitivity to everyone and even God.

It then struck me maybe when it says we are made in Gods image, it is we are given love as our driving force. But there is a fundamental problem, this love withers and dies if not in communion with God, and leads to sin and death, selfishness and self justification of bitterness and hatred.

Jesus is a statement of love to man, a statement that we can be accepted and healed, that the love we have can find a real echo in the Lord, that our deepest needs can finally be met.

So original sin was betraying the love we had for the Father by wanting knowledge that led to death above a relationship with him. Everyday you see people repeat this failure, when pain causes them to withdraw and lash out in revenge.

Empty husks of people who have hidden their true needs at the end of life, because of a futile desire to build a life on power and domination, rather than love and understanding has broken them.

Now I am open to other interpretations, but this has spoken to me and my life and explains many of the emotional life experiences I have had, and the meaning of the power of the gospel, not miracles or signs, but meeting the needs in our hearts and making us whole, at the deepest level.

Now many christians who have likewise been met by the Lord have confirmed their experience in the Lord goes along with this idea. Some have called this a false gospel, but I wonder what they are actually meaning, because it is just a deeper understanding of what Jesus means to us, and why love is the core issue of the Kingdom, the eternal issue of God.