Is obeying the commands the same as obeying the voice of or walking in the Spirit?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

know1

Aug 27, 2012
Is obeying the law and commandments the same as obeying the voice of the Spirit or walking in the Spirit?
I personally think, not. But what do you think?

Nov 26, 2011
Rom 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
Rom 8:2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
Rom 8:3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:
Rom 8:4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

Walking after the Spirit is simply yielding to the light of God by faith. Thus the righteous walk by a faith that works by love and they manifest the works of righteousness in their lives from a pure heart yielding to God.

It has nothing to do with following a set of rules for that can only reform the outer man. We die with Christ putting off the old man which served the lusts of the flesh that we may be raised with Christ by the power of God to newness of life. This is how we are set free from sin and are made slaves to righteousness.

The law is not voided but is established in the heart by faith, a faith that works by love, because it is love that fulfills the law.

Modern false teachers separate actual conduct from salvation because they view the death of Christ in a forensic sense, a mere legal transaction taking place. What they have omitted is the fact that the Christian actually participates in the death of Christ where the old man is crucified once and for all. This is how we escape the corruption that is in the world through lust that we me go onto partake of the divine nature which is love from a pure and undefiled heart.

Beware of any teacher who implies that one can walk in rebellion and be in a justified state at the same time. God counts us righteous by faith, but only by a faith that works by love which produces the fruit of righteousness in one's life. Thus one cannot be walking in the lusts of the flesh and be justified at the same time.

know1

Aug 27, 2012
Rom 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
Rom 8:2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
Rom 8:3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:
Rom 8:4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

Walking after the Spirit is simply yielding to the light of God by faith. Thus the righteous walk by a faith that works by love and they manifest the works of righteousness in their lives from a pure heart yielding to God.

It has nothing to do with following a set of rules for that can only reform the outer man. We die with Christ putting off the old man which served the lusts of the flesh that we may be raised with Christ by the power of God to newness of life. This is how we are set free from sin and are made slaves to righteousness.

The law is not voided but is established in the heart by faith, a faith that works by love, because it is love that fulfills the law.

Modern false teachers separate actual conduct from salvation because they view the death of Christ in a forensic sense, a mere legal transaction taking place. What they have omitted is the fact that the Christian actually participates in the death of Christ where the old man is crucified once and for all. This is how we escape the corruption that is in the world through lust that we me go onto partake of the divine nature which is love from a pure and undefiled heart.

Beware of any teacher who implies that one can walk in rebellion and be in a justified state at the same time. God counts us righteous by faith, but only by a faith that works by love which produces the fruit of righteousness in one's life. Thus one cannot be walking in the lusts of the flesh and be justified at the same time.
I agree with you sir, and that was very well put. Even though you have already answered my question, what I was referring to are commandments that Jesus gave, such as loving God with all your heart, mind, soul, and strength, loving your neighbor/brother as yourself, keeping His word, walk by faith, walk in love, ...etc.
I see many people talking about obeying the truth or commands of Jesus and less of walking in the Spirit, and that there can be a distinction between the two if it is not done so in the Spirit. You have the religious people that have made a practice of this and appear righteous and holy before men but are inwardly like the ravening wolves that Jesus spoke of.
I also see, walking in the Spirit, as being far more than just obeying the basic commands mentioned above. I believe we are to be lead by the Spirit of God through each day. That we should seek to hear His voice in our daily walk and so on.

I

Indubitably

My way of saying this is a little in reverse. You cannot walk in the Spirit without being obedient to Jesus' commands such as found in Matthew. I believe obedience leads us to walk in the Spirit, and as we grow in obedience, the Holy Spirit empowers us to walk uprightly and show forth the Fruit of the Spirit. (love, joy, peace, forbearance (patience), kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control.)

Last edited:

know1

Aug 27, 2012
My way of saying this is a little in reverse. You cannot walk in the Spirit without being obedient to Jesus' commands such as found in Matthew. I believe obedience leads us to walk in the Spirit, and as we grow in obedience, the Holy Spirit empowers us to walk uprightly and show forth the Fruit of the Spirit. (love, joy, peace, forbearance (patience), kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control.)

You can be obedient to the commandments of Christ most of the time without the Spirit of Christ. It is easy for a person to appear to walk in the laws and commands of God before the eyes of men and sound like he is a good Christian and still not be one.
I have seen so called Christians cut others down without remorse in the name of Christ or their church doctrine. Part of walking in the Spirit is being open to the truth of God's Word. Most fail this because they love what they believe more than truly wanting to know the truth and seeking God for it. Most don't even seek God before responding to a post or thread. If they were raised in a Muslim home they believe in and will fight for Islam, if raised as a baptist they believe and will fight for the baptist faith, if one goes to a JW church, they believe and will fight for the JW's faith and so on. This is not being lead by, nor is it walking in, the Spirit of God. The fruit of the Spirit, by the way, is a result of being lead by the Spirit, not the reverse order. If it were not by the Spirit, then the fruit is not of the Spirit.
What I am getting at is that there are many people that call themselves Christians, act like a Christian, sound like a Christian but are like the Pharisees, having the form of godliness but denying the power there of. Or like that of Job who saw himself as righteous based upon his own good works or his own righteousness and not of the true righteousness which was in God only. For us of today, our righteousness is not our own, nor is it of us but it is only of and in Christ Jesus. You can display the fruit before man many times and still not have the Spirit of God, for the ugly in you will show forth sometime.

Mat 7:20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.
Mat 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
Mat 7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
Mat 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

It appears that many are going to be surprised and even shocked that they are not going to go to heaven even as the Pharisees thought themselves to be righteous and did not enter, neither will many who believe in their own righteousness that is based upon their own obedience to the commands of Christ or good works go to heaven. Notice the good works that they did that they relied upon for their righteousness before Christ. And Jesus called all that they did, iniquity because they were never His children. Also notice that Jesus called their works, 'their fruit', not the fruit of the Holy Ghost. It is possible to act Christ like before many and not actually be one.
If anyone cares to know, most of what I respond to I have already sought God on and even then, if I see anything that would raise question or doubt as to what I believe to be the truth, it goes back on trial, I seek God further on it with a pure heart, without bias to any interpretation, wanting only to know the truth. And because I do this, I believe God is able to reveal the truth to me. I believe this is one of the ways we are lead by, or walk in, the Spirit. How can you receive truth from the Spirit of Truth if you reject it, for truth will remain a lie to you if you never see it as truth.
If you haven't done so yet, seek God with an honest and pure heart first, it has to be given to you by God, and He won't give to a hard hearted person, then you will see the truth. Notice that the Pharisees could not receive the truth because of the condition of their hearts which had to do with the type of tree that was planted in them [that being in their hearts] from the devil. That being said, you can't be lead by the Spirit of God if you are not of God.

A

AgeofKnowledge

It looks to me like you are trying to separate that which goes together.

Is obeying the law and commandments the same as obeying the voice of the Spirit or walking in the Spirit?

know1

Aug 27, 2012
It looks to me like you are trying to separate that which goes together.
Not at all, sir. On the contrary, without the Spirit of God, there is no obedience. For it is He that causes us both to will and to do of His good pleasure,and in Him we live and move and have our being, and without Him we can do nothing. Without the Spirit of Christ in us, there is no obedience that produces good fruit or the fruit of the Spirit. Thanks for your post, God Bless.

A

AgeofKnowledge

No need to call me sir friend. I was enlisted... not an officer ;). I agree with you; however, there certainly are a lot of Christians that profess to be following God but are living very sinful lives contrary to God's will/law as expressed in scripture lost in drugs, partying, fornication/adultry, etc...

I do find though, in time, more than a few of these do eventually repent. I suppose we should all be very grateful for God's grace that covers us until we finally embark on the road of sanctification and continues to cover us through what can be a difficult process... that life-long process by which we make progress toward perfection (though not yet perfected).

Not at all, sir. On the contrary, without the Spirit of God, there is no obedience. For it is He that causes us both to will and to do of His good pleasure,and in Him we live and move and have our being, and without Him we can do nothing. Without the Spirit of Christ in us, there is no obedience that produces good fruit or the fruit of the Spirit. Thanks for your post, God Bless.

T

thebalddisciple

I believe that obedience is more important than sacrifice. Why cant be a follower of Jesus if we don't obey Him. Serve God in spirit and in truth my friend :)

H

haz

Gal 5:18
But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.

Here we see that obedience to the law/commandments is not the same as walking in the Spirit.

Rom 10:3
For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.

Here we see that obedience/works of the law/commandments is in fact trying to establish your own righteousness and refusing to submit to the righteousness of God.

Clearly if obedience to the law/commandments is seen as what determines if someone is righteous and saved, then this is not walking in the Spirit. It is walking in the flesh and rebellion against God.

Jesus warned to beware the leaven/doctrine (of works of the law) of the Pharisees (Matt 16:5-13).
Gal 5:9 also warns us that a little leaven (doctrine of works of the law) leavens the whole lump. Jesus gave this warning for our own good. To reject Jesus' warning against embracing the leaven/doctrine of works of the law will only result in falling from grace.

Gal 5:4
Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.

Nov 26, 2011
1Jn 2:3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
1Jn 2:4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
1Jn 2:5 But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.
1Jn 2:6 He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.
1Jn 2:7 Brethren, I write no new commandment unto you, but an old commandment which ye had from the beginning. The old commandment is the word which ye have heard from the beginning.
1Jn 2:8 Again, a new commandment I write unto you, which thing is true in him and in you: because the darkness is past, and the true light now shineth.
1Jn 2:9 He that saith he is in the light, and hateth his brother, is in darkness even until now.
1Jn 2:10 He that loveth his brother abideth in the light, and there is none occasion of stumbling in him.

1Jn 3:7 Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.
1Jn 3:8 He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.
1Jn 3:9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.
1Jn 3:10 In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.
1Jn 3:11 For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another.
1Jn 3:12 Not as Cain, who was of that wicked one, and slew his brother. And wherefore slew he him? Because his own works were evil, and his brother's righteous.
1Jn 3:13 Marvel not, my brethren, if the world hate you.
1Jn 3:14 We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren. He that loveth not his brother abideth in death.

Jul 12, 2012
I believe Ex 32:32 is walking in the Spirit.

"Yet now, if thou wilt, forgive their sin--; and if not, blot me, I pray thee, out of thy book which thou hast written."

And also 1 Kings 19:10-14
YHWH causes Elijah to reflect on his outstanding dedication, based on what Elijah knows of Him so far.
Miracles, signs from heaven, angelic encounters, many things.
Elijah replies confidently to the effect that his intent is one with YHWH's will.
YHWH gives Elijah spiritual kingship
YHWH puts on greater fireworks, and finally a still small voice.
Elijah knows the question has already been asked again.
Elijah covers his face, even his righteous spiritual intent, as to ask YHWH to look past the proof, even the source (because both came from YHWH) and to look at whatever part of himself was left, whatever core of his being he could perceive in himself.
YHWH asks the question again, and Elijah's answer is the same.

In other words, God, whatever part of me there is that isn't under your control or sustaining, whatever it is that is unique about me, THAT's the part that wants you.
And the followup is to the effect of "THAT's what I wanted you to understand about yourself. Get ready to wrap it up and come home. Epic hero style."

H

haz

1Jn 2:3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
1Jn 2:4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
1Jn 2:5 But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.
1Jn 2:6 He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.
1Jn 2:7 Brethren, I write no new commandment unto you, but an old commandment which ye had from the beginning. The old commandment is the word which ye have heard from the beginning.
1Jn 2:8 Again, a new commandment I write unto you, which thing is true in him and in you: because the darkness is past, and the true light now shineth.
1Jn 2:9 He that saith he is in the light, and hateth his brother, is in darkness even until now.
1Jn 2:10 He that loveth his brother abideth in the light, and there is none occasion of stumbling in him.

1Jn 3:7 Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.
1Jn 3:8 He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.
1Jn 3:9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.
1Jn 3:10 In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.
1Jn 3:11 For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another.
1Jn 3:12 Not as Cain, who was of that wicked one, and slew his brother. And wherefore slew he him? Because his own works were evil, and his brother's righteous.
1Jn 3:13 Marvel not, my brethren, if the world hate you.
1Jn 3:14 We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren. He that loveth not his brother abideth in death.
What are his commandments?
1John 3:23
Believe on Jesus
love one another.

How do we do righteousness?
Our faith is counted for righteousness, Rom 4:5. This is how we do righteousness.

As for those who believe that obedience/works of the law determines righteousness, then consider what obedience is required in James 2:10. It says to offend in one point makes you guilty of all the law.

So for those who preach that righteousness is determined by obedience to the law I ask has your obedience to the law been perfect since the day you received Christ?

Jon4TheCross

Oct 19, 2012
If a person is an elder walking after the spirit and not after the flesh, that person will confess the followng: (the elders are really easy to find if you look for people who confess the understanding of the truth about who they are)

Elders will say that they are not male or female, they are from Heaven, they are a baby (most elders are less than an hour old, some are a little over an hour), they have the same Father as all, and they do not have a family that is theirs and not yours. They will confess that they are not Jew or Greek, and they will support the first works and first love of the church, including all things common, complete equality, no respect of persons, unity, casting lots, etc.

Walking after the spirit is also seen in the following example:
2Co 6:3 Giving no offence in any thing, that the ministry be not blamed:
2Co 6:4 But in all things approving ourselves as the ministers of God, in much patience, in afflictions, in necessities, in distresses,
2Co 6:5 In stripes, in imprisonments, in tumults, in labours, in watchings, in fastings;
2Co 6:6 By pureness, by knowledge, by longsuffering, by kindness, by the Holy Ghost, by love unfeigned,
2Co 6:7 By the word of truth, by the power of God, by the armour of righteousness on the right hand and on the left,
2Co 6:8 By honour and dishonour, by evil report and good report: as deceivers, and yet true;
2Co 6:9 As unknown, and yet well known; as dying, and, behold, we live; as chastened, and not killed;
2Co 6:10 As sorrowful, yet alway rejoicing; as poor, yet making many rich; as having nothing, and yet possessing all things.
2Co 6:11 O ye Corinthians, our mouth is open unto you, our heart is enlarged.
2Co 6:12 Ye are not straitened in us, but ye are straitened in your own bowels.
2Co 6:13 Now for a recompence in the same, (I speak as unto my children,) be ye also enlarged.
2Co 6:14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?
2Co 6:15 And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?
2Co 6:16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
2Co 6:17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,
2Co 6:18 And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.

know1

Aug 27, 2012
No need to call me sir friend. I was enlisted... not an officer ;).
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend you ma'am.:D
Seriously though, it's just my way. I address all males as, sir, and sometimes like you did with me as, friend, to show respect. I even say that to my son at times. And I address the females according to their age and/or status. The younger females I address as, miss, and the older and/or married as, ma'am. But for you, it is friend.

know1

Aug 27, 2012
Gal 5:18
But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.

Here we see that obedience to the law/commandments is not the same as walking in the Spirit.

Rom 10:3
For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.

Here we see that obedience/works of the law/commandments is in fact trying to establish your own righteousness and refusing to submit to the righteousness of God.

Clearly if obedience to the law/commandments is seen as what determines if someone is righteous and saved, then this is not walking in the Spirit. It is walking in the flesh and rebellion against God.

Jesus warned to beware the leaven/doctrine (of works of the law) of the Pharisees (Matt 16:5-13).
Gal 5:9 also warns us that a little leaven (doctrine of works of the law) leavens the whole lump. Jesus gave this warning for our own good. To reject Jesus' warning against embracing the leaven/doctrine of works of the law will only result in falling from grace.

Gal 5:4
Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.
Very well put and nicely done sir, I couldn't have said it better.

know1

Aug 27, 2012
My understanding of the meaning of the word, seed, is that of the 'offspring' of the parent, whether that be human, plant, or spirit. Notice that both Jesus and the devil have a seed in, what the bible calls, their children. I said it before and I'll say it again. We eventually become and therefore are the spirit that is in us. If we have the seed or Spirit of Christ in us, we will eventually become or be like Him. God says that our righteousness is not our own and yet we are the righteousness of God in Christ Jesus because his seed/Spirit abides in us. These people become Christ like because of the manifestation of the Spirit of Christ in them. That's why I say that, as the spirit is in you, so are you. You are righteous because the Spirit of righteousness [that of Christ] is in you.
And as it is with the children of God, so it is also with the children of the devil.