Is personal prophecy scriptural?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

presidente

May 29, 2013
I personally would get up & leave if someone tried to give me a personal prophecy. Although once, a long time ago at a Christian banquet, a very humble man did give my husband & I separate personal prophecies. They were very accurate! So it's not that it can't happen! It's just in this day of attractional churches & Christian superstars, of bad doctrine and confusion deceiving even the elect, I don't think God is going to use it much.
What a terrible thing to say! The Bible says 'Despise not prophesyings. Prove all things.' Is your attitude, in that first sentence, in line with the scriptures?

Most of the personal prophecies, words, etc. I've gotten are not from well-known preachers from a pulpit. I don't know if anyone well-known has prophesied over me. They might have been well-known somewhere else.

I've gotten so much more out of the regular discipline of prayer and daily Bible testing than I would out of some arrogant charismatic show!
Prophecy is a spiritual gift. Associating it with arrogance might be counter productive. If your daily Bible readings go through the Bible, then surely you have gotten to the parts that would warn against being dismissive of personal prophecies.

presidente

May 29, 2013
I walked away from personal prophecy when I saw arrogant & proud people dispensing it like bright lights at a concert. I saw them gaining the spot light, for being able to occasionally hit on the right combination of words.
Would you walk away from Bible teaching or intercessory prayer if you saw arrogant people to further their own agenda.

That is not what my husband and I had! It was a humble man. We were both humbled by his words. I had dreams of grandeur, but what this man says cut that all away. My husband felt like he had been struck down. He was humbled.

When personal prophecy is given by a humble, unknown person, and it humbles the recipients, it is probably true! All else is posturing, and takes away God's glory!
I wonder if some of the Biblical prophets could have a bit of ego at times. God uses us people, and we have our issues. Someone could give genuine prophecies, but struggle with pride. It doesn't necessarily mean God can't use them in the gift of prophecy, just like other gifts.

If you want to be stripped down & humbled by God, ask for a personal prophecy. I know God will answer that prayer!
You mean to give it or receive it?

I find our recent posts to be off-balance, doctrinally. I don't see how a fair-minded person could walk away from I Corinthians 14 without realizing that Paul is positive toward the operation of the Bible of prophecy. 'Personal prophecies' are a subcategory of that-- prophecies directed at an individual. If it is grace from the Holy Spirit at work, we need to embrace it. We should have an attitude of thankfulness toward God for all spiritual gifts.