IS SUICIDE A SIN?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

peacebestill

Oct 25, 2014
I posted on a website page on Facebook and people were talking about Robin Williams tragedy to prevent future suicides. Many people commented and they were addressing their issues on depression and mental disorders. I commented and this is what I said:

Suicide is NOT THE ANSWER.. I do not hope to offend anyone by saying this but it's TRUE, taking your life is a SIN, and it is not pleasing to GOD. whether you believe in God or don't. You will not get satisfaction by suicide. JESUS IS THE ONLY WAY! He loves you! Many of us suffer from depression, I have for many years.. but I gave it to Jesus! I repented. and so MUST YOU. He will give you LOVE and what ever you need! He created you for a REASON.. you are not a mistake and you are NOT ALONE. Please ask Jesus into your heart, and please REPENT.. AND BOOM. Jesus will appear so real to you unlike anyone else. HE HAS been with YOU all along!! Wanting YOU TO COME TO HIM! PLEASE PEOPLE, I AM A WITNESS OF HIS GLORIOUS AND MERCIFUL LOVE. HE LOVES YOU. I LOVE YOU! Keep Jesus with you, times are ONLY Gonna get harder for us, we need a savior! He is JESUS! Amen.

Now if I am WRONG I DO APOLOGIZE, I do not want to mislead anyone, but this is what I felt to be true..

Someone responded to what I said and this is what they had to say:

You are so wrong in so many ways. I'm not condoning suicide mind you. It leaves a terrible amount of pain in its wake I know first hand. But you can't tell me someone who suffers from a mental illness who commits suicide is going to hell. I read the same bible you do and quite frankly you are wrong. I strongly believe Jesus and God would show compassion to individuals who take their life due to a mental illness. Spewing your hate in the name of God is just wrong on so many levels.

I began to respond back by saying; If you do read the bible it says gives your worries and cares to God for he cares for you - 1 Peter 5:7 Give it to Jesus and he will set you free! Jesus does have mercy on the brokenhearted, but you should not take your life. but then I stopped because I DO NOT WANT TO BE WRONG OR TO MISLEAD ANYONE.

What do you guys think?

Jul 22, 2014
We Are Not Righteous:

Isaiah 64:6

"But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away."

Romans 3:9-12
"What then? are we better than they? No, in no wise: for we have before proved both Jews and Gentiles, that they are all under sin; As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one: There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God. They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one."

Romans 3:23
"For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;"

Repentance & Acceptance of Jesus Christ:

Repentance is a part of believing in Jesus Christ. For Jesus Christ preached people to repent. For He said,

"Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand."
(Matthew 4:17)​
"I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish."
(Luke 13:5)

For Jesus taught about repentance in the Parable of the Tax Collector (Publican) and the Pharisee:

"Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican. The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican. I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess. And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner. I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted."
(Luke 18:10-14)

Matthew 4:17
– “From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.”

This was His message from the beginning of His ministry.

Mark 1:14-15 – “Now after that John was put in prison, Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of the kingdom of God, [15] And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.”

Jesus taught that repentance is not only to forgive us of our sins but it is also to sin no more, too.

John 8:10-11
When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, 'Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee?' She said, 'No man, Lord.' And Jesus said unto her, 'Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.'

Matthew 27:3 KJV says that Judas “repented”, when he returned the 30 pieces of silver for betraying Jesus. He said: “I have sinned in that I have betrayed innocent blood.”

However, was that "true repentance"?
What did Judas do next?
Well, he went out and hanged himself!

Why?
He was sorry … but it was not a "Godly Sorrow."
He was "sorry" he did wrong …
"sorry" he got caught …
"sorry" it turned out the way it did.
But … "Repentance" is when you bring your sins to Jesus. Judas never did that.

Therefore, Judas is not forgiven and we can conclude that suicide is one of those types of sins that you can't repent of (if you stay dead).

For the Bible says, "My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:" (1 John 2:1). "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." (1 John 1:9).

"If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth: But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin. If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us." (1 John 1:6-8).

Last edited:

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
I posted on a website page on Facebook and people were talking about Robin Williams tragedy to prevent future suicides. Many people commented and they were addressing their issues on depression and mental disorders. I commented and this is what I said:

Suicide is NOT THE ANSWER.. I do not hope to offend anyone by saying this but it's TRUE, taking your life is a SIN, and it is not pleasing to GOD. whether you believe in God or don't. You will not get satisfaction by suicide. JESUS IS THE ONLY WAY! He loves you! Many of us suffer from depression, I have for many years.. but I gave it to Jesus! I repented. and so MUST YOU. He will give you LOVE and what ever you need! He created you for a REASON.. you are not a mistake and you are NOT ALONE. Please ask Jesus into your heart, and please REPENT.. AND BOOM. Jesus will appear so real to you unlike anyone else. HE HAS been with YOU all along!! Wanting YOU TO COME TO HIM! PLEASE PEOPLE, I AM A WITNESS OF HIS GLORIOUS AND MERCIFUL LOVE. HE LOVES YOU. I LOVE YOU! Keep Jesus with you, times are ONLY Gonna get harder for us, we need a savior! He is JESUS! Amen.

Now if I am WRONG I DO APOLOGIZE, I do not want to mislead anyone, but this is what I felt to be true..

You are so wrong in so many ways. I'm not condoning suicide mind you. It leaves a terrible amount of pain in its wake I know first hand. But you can't tell me someone who suffers from a mental illness who commits suicide is going to hell. I read the same bible you do and quite frankly you are wrong. I strongly believe Jesus and God would show compassion to individuals who take their life due to a mental illness. Spewing your hate in the name of God is just wrong on so many levels.

I began to respond back by saying; If you do read the bible it says gives your worries and cares to God for he cares for you - 1 Peter 5:7 Give it to Jesus and he will set you free! Jesus does have mercy on the brokenhearted, but you should not take your life. but then I stopped because I DO NOT WANT TO BE WRONG OR TO MISLEAD ANYONE.

What do you guys think?

I believe suicide IS a sin. The bible says "you shall not kill," this includes killing yourself. However, I don't think God would send a person to hell for it, especially if that person was mentally ill and not in their right mind. This is jmo, however. The only one who could accurately answer this question is God.

Jul 22, 2014
" If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us." (1 John 1:8).
There are many self professing Christians today who believe that all their future sin was paid for at the cross ---- Which means they are saying they have no sin. But 1 John 1:8 refutes that type of thinking. If we say we have no sin (whereby we do not have to confess of it ---- 1 John 1:9), we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. For can a husband cheat on his wife and then have any hope in being forgiven if he does not tell her he is sorry? It is the same with God. We have to actually be broken hearted and sorry for our sin before God and strive not to sin before Him. Otherwise one is not proving they are God's children, but they are proving they are children of another darker kingdom. An evil kingdom that is of this world. In other words, if I tell someone they are saved if they commit suicide, then that is exactly what they are going to do (If they have no reason to live here). But what are they living for? What are they sorrowful over? Themselves and their own life? What about Jesus Christ? Why are they not wanting to live for Him? Well, it is because they don't want Jesus Christ in their life. That is what they are saying when they take their own life and do things their way. Jesus (God) is the giver and taker of life. Not them. So they have placed themselves into a postion We Are Not Righteous:

"But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away."

"What then? are we better than they? No, in no wise: for we have before proved both Jews and Gentiles, that they are all under sin; As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one: There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God. They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one."

Repentance is a part of believing in Jesus Christ. For Jesus Christ preached people to repent. For He said,

For Jesus taught about repentance in the Parable of the Tax Collector (Publican) and the Pharisee:

"Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican. The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican. I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess. And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner. I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted."

– “From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.”

Mark 1:14-15 – “Now after that John was put in prison, Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of the kingdom of God, [15] And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.”

Jesus taught that repentance is not only to forgive us of our sins but it is also to sin no more, too.

When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, 'Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee?' She said, 'No man, Lord.' And Jesus said unto her, 'Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.'

Matthew 27:3 KJV says that Judas “repented”, when he returned the 30 pieces of silver for betraying Jesus. He said: “I have sinned in that I have betrayed innocent blood.”

What did Judas do next?

Why?
"sorry" he got caught …

For the Bible says, "My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:" (1 John 2:1). "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." (1 John 1:9).

"If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth: But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin. If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us." (1 John 1:6-8). they are like God --- Trying to do things their own way and not God's way. God wants us to live out our lives as He designs. When you take your life, one is spitting at God's plan for their life. They are being selfish and caught up in their ownselves to a point of despair.

Last edited:
May 15, 2013

What do you guys think?

Everyone that dies from being murder, heart failure and everything else that is out there, even suicide; will still have to show an account of their deeds while they were here on the earth. And if that person hasn't reach the goals that they are required to reach, then they'll be treated as an undeveloped fetus. We all must go through suffering, that is the only way to reach maturity. Suffering isn't bad as it seem to be; when a person comes from out of it, they'll see the purpose of it. Nobody doesn't like to suffer, but when they come from out of it and look back at all the things that they had went through, they will say, " That wasn't nothing" and laugh about it and see how dramatic they were, but then they'll be able to show others that are suffering that there is a way out of all bad situations and it is called salvation and which people that has committed suicide will never see it. I know that there is people out there that believe that there bad situation isn't no way out of, and that is what the dark forces wants them to believe, so that a person will give up hope. God has set time limits for everything.

Ecclesiastes 3:4 a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance,

Ecclesiastes 7:14 When times are good, be happy; but when times are bad, consider this: God has made the one as well as the other. Therefore, no one can discover anything about their future.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2014
There are many self professing Christians today who believe that all their future sin was paid for at the cross ---- Which means they are saying they have no sin. But 1 John 1:8 refutes that type of thinking. If we say we have no sin (whereby we do not have to confess of it ---- 1 John 1:9), we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. For can a husband cheat on his wife and then have any hope in being forgiven if he does not tell her he is sorry? It is the same with God. We have to actually be broken hearted and sorry for our sin before God and strive not to sin before Him. Otherwise one is not proving they are God's children, but they are proving they are children of another darker kingdom. An evil kingdom that is of this world. In other words, if I tell someone they are saved if they commit suicide, then that is exactly what they are going to do (If they have no reason to live here). But what are they living for? What are they sorrowful over? Themselves and their own life? What about Jesus Christ? Why are they not wanting to live for Him? Well, it is because they don't want Jesus Christ in their life. That is what they are saying when they take their own life and do things their way. Jesus (God) is the giver and taker of life. Not them. So they have placed themselves into a postion We Are Not Righteous:

What did Judas do next?

Why?
"sorry" he got caught …

"If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth: But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin. If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us." (1 John 1:6-8). they are like God --- Trying to do things their own way and not God's way. God wants us to live out our lives as He designs. When you take your life, one is spitting at God's plan for their life. They are being selfish and caught up in their ownselves to a point of despair.

Don't know how this post got repeated and mixed in with my second post. Not sure if I hit the paste button by accident or if someone hacked my edit here. I will repeat my second post of how it was supposed to originally look below.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2014
There are many self professing Christians today who believe that all their future sin was paid for at the cross ---- Which means they are saying they have no sin. But 1 John 1:8 refutes that type of thinking. If we say we have no sin (whereby we do not have to confess of it ---- 1 John 1:9), we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. For can a husband cheat on his wife and then have any hope in being forgiven if he does not tell her he is sorry? It is the same with God. We have to actually be broken hearted and sorry for our sin before God and strive not to sin before Him. Otherwise one is not proving they are God's children, but they are proving they are children of another darker kingdom. An evil kingdom that is of this world. In other words, if I tell someone they are saved if they commit suicide, then that is exactly what they are going to do (If they have no reason to live here). But what are they living for? What are they sorrowful over? Themselves and their own life? What about Jesus Christ? Why are they not wanting to live for Him? Well, it is because they don't want Jesus Christ in their life. That is what they are saying when they take their own life and do things their way. Jesus (God) is the giver and taker of life. Not them. So they have placed themselves into a postion whereby they are like God (whereby they are selfishly focused on their own life instead of focusing in on God).

peacebestill

Oct 25, 2014
Thank you ALL for your point on this.. it is a very touchy subject. However, when this person mention me judging about the hell part; is totally absurd because I didn't say anything about hell. I have done HORRIBLE things in my life, how can I condemn any one? All I was saying is REPENT because that's true. we MUST repent and turn to Jesus. He is the way, the truth and the life. John: 14:6