is the apocrypha a sound book

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Y

Yudahkid12

I have been reading this book for years now and most Christian that I have talked to never heard of it or believe that you can not validate it however there many scriptures in this book that that tie into the canon such as the rest of Ester Bel and the dragon first and second esderis wisdom of Solomon even the wisdom of sirach or the book of sirach let's examine some of the similarities or the precepts of the Apocrypha and a cannon to see if it is a valid book let's start here

15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
(2Tim 3:15-17 KJV)

16 Seek ye out of the book of the LORD, and read: no one of these shall fail, none shall want her mate: for my mouth it hath commanded, and his spirit it hath gathered them.
(Is 34:16 KJV)

5 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and
lean not unto thine own understanding.
(Prv 3:5 KJV)

19 We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts: 20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. 21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.
(2Pet 1:19-21 KJV)

if you look in the apocrypha you will see a book that is called the rest of Ester let see if it dose match The book of Ester ends like this 1 AND the king Ahasuerus laid a tribute upon the land, and upon the isles of the sea. 2 And all the acts of his power and of his might, and the declaration of the greatness of Mordecai, whereunto the king advanced him, are they not written in the book of the chronicles of the kings of Media and Persia? 3 For Mordecai the Jew was next unto king Ahasuerus, and great among the Jews, and accepted of the multitude of his brethren, seeking the wealth of his people, and speaking peace to all his seed.
(Esth 10:1-3 KJV)
Now the rest of Ester in the apocrypha picks up were Ester in the canon left off 1 Then Mardocheus said, God hath done these things. 2 For I remember a dream which I saw concerning these matters, and nothing thereof hath failed. 3 A little fountain became a river, and there was light, and the sun, and much water: this river is Esther, whom the king married, and made queen: 4 And the two dragons are I and Aman. 5 And the nations were those that were assembled to destroy the name of the Jews: 6 And my nation is this Israel, which cried to God, and were saved: for the Lord hath saved his people, and the Lord hath delivered us from all those evils, and God hath wrought signs and great wonders, which have not been done among the Gentiles.
(Est 1:1-6 KJV Apocrypha)
The same thing is the case with Era in the canon and Esdras in the apocrypha so why was these book removed and by Rome no less let take a look at the apocrypha to see if we can't find a few things that can tell us This the wisdom of Solomon from the apocrypha
1 Again, one preparing himself to sail, and about to pass through the raging waves, calleth upon a piece of wood more rotten than the vessel that carrie 6 that him. 2 For verily desire of gain devised that, and the workman built it by his skill. 3 But thy providence, O Father, governeth it: for thou hast made a way in the sea, and a safe path in the waves; 4 Shewing that thou canst save from all danger: yea, though a man went to sea without art. 5 Nevertheless thou wouldest not that the works of thy wisdom should be idle, and therefore do men commit their lives to a small piece of wood, and passing the rough sea in a weak vessel are saved. 6 For in the old time also, when the proud giants perished, the hope of the world governed by thy hand escaped in a weak vessel, and left to all ages a seed of generation. 7 For blessed is the wood whereby righteousness cometh. 8 But that which is made with hands is cursed, as well it, as he that made it: he, because he made it; and it, because, being corruptible, it was called god. 9 For the ungodly and his ungodliness are both alike hateful unto God. 10 For that which is made shall be punished together with him that made it. 11 Therefore even upon the idols of the Gentiles shall there be a visitation: because in the creature of God they are become an abomination, and stumblingblocks to the souls of men, and a snare to the feet of the unwise. 12 For the devising of idols was the beginning of spiritual fornication, and the invention of them the corruption of life. 13 For neither were they from the beginning, neither shall they be for ever. 14 For by the vain glory of men they entered into the world, and therefore shall they come shortly to an end.

15 For a father afflicted with untimely mourning, when he hath made an image of his child soon taken away, now honoured him as a god, which was then a dead man, and delivered to those that were under him ceremonies and sacrifices. This verse seem simular to Rodrigo Borgia The 6th Pope of Roma and his son Cesare Borgia

16 Thus in process of time an ungodly custom grown strong was kept as a law, and graven images were worshipped by the commandments of kings.

17 Whom men could not honour in presence, because they dwelt far off, they took the counterfeit of his visage from far, and made an express image of a king whom they honoured, to the end that by this their forwardness they might flatter him that was absent, as if he were present.

18 Also the singular diligence of the artificer did help to set forward the ignorant to more superstition. 19 For he, peradventure willing to please one in authority, forced all his skill to make the resemblance of the best fashion. This sounds like DaVinci who was known for painting the famous picture of the of The Borgia family

20 And so the multitude, allured by the grace of the work, took him now for a god, which a little before was but honoured. This is that the image of Christ that has been spread throughout the whole world

21 And this was an occasion to deceive the world: for men, serving either calamity or tyranny, did ascribe unto stones and stocks the incommunicable name. 22 Moreover this was not enough for them, that they erred in the knowledge of God; but whereas they lived in the great war of ignorance, those so great plagues called they peace. 23 For whilst they slew their children in sacrifices, or used secret ceremonies, or made revellings of strange rites; 24 They kept neither lives nor marriages any longer undefiled: but either one slew another traiterously, or grieved him by adultery. 25 So that there reigned in all men without exception blood, manslaughter, theft, and dissimulation, corruption, unfaithfulness, tumults, perjury, 26 Disquieting of good men, forgetfulness of good turns, defiling of souls, changing of kind, disorder in marriages, adultery, and shameless uncleanness. 27 For the worshipping of idols not to be named is the beginning, the cause, and the end, of all evil. 28 For either they are mad when they be merry, or prophesy lies, or live unjustly, or else lightly forswear themselves. 29 For insomuch as their trust is in idols, which have no life; though they swear falsely, yet they look not to be hurt. 30 Howbeit for both causes shall they be justly punished: both because they thought not well of God, giving heed unto idols, and also unjustly swore in deceit, despising holiness. 31 For it is not the power of them by whom they swear: but it is the just vengeance of sinners, that punisheth always the offence of the ungodly.
(Wis 14:1-31 KJV Apocrypha)
and it just so happens that the Council of Nicea took the Book out of the canon by the Roman council however the bible says

1 BELOVED, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.
(1John 4:1 KJV)
And it says prove all things please let me know what you think and forgive any typos I am work on a phone at work so was not able make correction and some of the auto correct was messing up :)

Hizikyah

Aug 25, 2013
Maccabees is a solid historical book just like Kings or Chronicles.

(I think there is a reason it was removed...)

1 Maccabees 1:43-50, "All the Gentiles accepted the command of the king. Many even from Israel gladly adopted his religion; they sacrificed to idols and profaned the sabbath. And the king sent letters by messengers to Jerusalem and the cities of Judah; he directed them to follow customs strange to the land, to forbid burnt offerings and sacrifices and drink offerings in the sanctuary, to profane sabbaths and feasts, to defile the sanctuary and the priests, to build altars and sacred precincts and shrines for idol sacrifice swine and unclean animals, and to leave their sons uncircumcised. They were to make themselves abominable by everything unclean and profane, so that they should forget the law and change all the ordinances.And whoever does not obey the command of the king shall die.”

1 Maccabees 1:62-63, "But many in Israel stood firm and were resolved in their hearts not to eat unclean food. They chose to die rather than to be defiled by food or to profane the holy covenant; and they did die. 64 And very great wrath came upon Israel."

Y

Yudahkid12

Thanks brother this is very similar to the book of Daniels and some of the other captivity the israelites were in

Hizikyah

Aug 25, 2013
Thanks brother this is very similar to the book of Daniels and some of the other captivity the israelites were in
I was thinking the same thing as I posted it! :)

Also, in the endtimes, both seem to be a foreshadow of the endtimes.

N

nathan3

I'll just say some of them, are good as a side study. The apocrypha of the "old testament", should have been left in. It was in the original KJV 1611, but was later removed. 1st and 2ed Esdras definably should have remained. The account of Susana etc. The reason I think it was later taken away, is because textual critics, found a copy only in Greek, but they didn't have a copy in Hebrew , so they figured it was not every part of the rest of the writings.

Later in they were found in Hebrew in the Dead sea scrolls. So now there are confirmation, they have been around, and in Hebrew also. I think It's worth a read, at least 2nd and 1st Esdras ( Ezra ).

I personally have not read much of it, but some of 2nd Esdras.

I also like the book of Enoch - ( "1" ) ( not part of the apocrypha of the old testament ) .
There were later forgeries and fake versions made . So you want to stay with original known as Enoch "one".

Because a fragment was found in with the Dead Sea scrolls also ; it matches the Ethiopian copy.

That's all I got to say about it really.

One of the better translations done for the" Apocrypha of the Old testament " , was done by Edgar J. Goodspeed.
There are no free digital files of it online, I checked already .

I have found the copy online that was in the original KJV 1611. Though, its difficult to read....

Omitting the Apocrypha OT , wont leave you wanting for understanding of God's overall plans as their written in the scriptures we have complied . Because after reading it for a good amount of time, with some understanding at least, I can see its complete. So you don't have to worry about, missing something important, because you did not read the Apocrypha of the Old testament . But, still its a good read.

Side note, stay away from ""Extra apocryphal writings of the new testament "; such as ones , close to all, but not all, have been found not to aline with the Bible by textual critics . They are regarded as spurious .
For example : the gospel of Judas, or extra writings about the Adam and Eve in Eden , young Jesus , etc.

Last edited:
Y

Yudahkid12

Thank you that another two books that I've found shade some light on the first fiver book or the torah is the book of jasher (the book of the up right) and the book jubilees