Is this a contradiction in the bible.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Aug 5, 2013
Genesis 22:14And Abraham called the name of that place Jehovahjireh: as it is said to this day, In the mount of the LORD it shall be seen.

Exodus 6:3And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by the name of God Almighty, but by my name Jehovah was I NOT known to them.

How can Abraham call the mount Jehovah in Genesis when Exodus is stating the name Jehovah wasn't given to Abraham, And we know Genesis is before exodus.

B

Bryancampbell

Good find my friend! We see the patriarch uses the name Jehovah but Exodus 6:3 it says they weren't revealed this name. Well if you read Genesis, all throughout we see the word LORD appear in context, that was actually replaced with the name of God, namely YWWH. It is also seen that Pharoah even knew "Yahweh" name when speaking of the God of Israel (v.5:2), but of course he didn't know. Because Moses was revealed the name of God and so was Israel at that time, and that he wrote the book of Genesis, he imported that Name into the names preferably given to God after it was revealed. To Abraham it was "El Shaddai" which means God Almighty.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2013
Good find my friend! We see the patriarch uses the name Jehovah but Exodus 6:3 it says they weren't revealed this name. Well if you read Genesis, all throughout we see the word LORD appear in context, that was actually replaced with the name of God, namely YWWH. It is also seen that Pharoah even knew "Yahweh" name when speaking of the God of Israel (v.5:2), but of course he didn't know. Because Moses was revealed the name of God and so was Israel at that time, and that he wrote the book of Genesis, he imported that Name into the names preferably given to God after it was revealed. To Abraham it was "El Shaddai" which means God Almighty.
The name YHWH wasn't given to Moses, and the only reason why they found that name in Egypt and in the land of canaan before it became Israel is because they were worshipping fallen angles like El Shaddai, Eloroy, Baal etc.....

B

Bryancampbell

The name YHWH wasn't given to Moses, and the only reason why they found that name in Egypt and in the land of canaan before it became Israel is because they were worshipping fallen angles like El Shaddai, Eloroy, Baal etc.....
When I mean given I mean revealed.

R

RachelBibleStudent

there are two possible explanations that commentators have offered...

the first and in my opinion the most likely explanation is that abraham was aware of the name 'yahweh' but did not understand its meaning and therefore could not really 'know' God by that name...it was not until the time of moses that the meaning of the name 'yahweh' was revealed so that God could truly be 'known' by that name...

another explanation that has been offered is that moses freely used the name 'yahweh' in genesis...even though it was anachronistic...for the benefit of his readers who -did- know the name yahweh... the weakness of this view is that moses would have introduced historical inaccuracy into the account by 'tampering' with facts...such as hypothetically changing 'el-jireh' to 'jehovah-jireh'...

B

Bryancampbell

there are two possible explanations that commentators have offered...

the first and in my opinion the most likely explanation is that abraham was aware of the name 'yahweh' but did not understand its meaning and therefore could not really 'know' God by that name...it was not until the time of moses that the meaning of the name 'yahweh' was revealed so that God could truly be 'known' by that name...

another explanation that has been offered is that moses freely used the name 'yahweh' in genesis...even though it was anachronistic...for the benefit of his readers who -did- know the name yahweh... the weakness of this view is that moses would have introduced historical inaccuracy into the account by 'tampering' with facts...such as hypothetically changing 'el-jireh' to 'jehovah-jireh'...
Yea I was reading it with the second view you described.

H

Houly

God's name, YHWH, was used by Eve (Genesis 4:1), Seth (Genesis 4:26), and Noah (Genesis 9:26).

Abraham knew God's name. In Genesis 15:7, God says "I am YHWH" when speaking to Abraham.

Another explanation for Exodus 6:3 (in addition to the ones already posted) is that it was a question, since there's no question mark in Hebrew. God could have been asserting that He was known as God Almighty, but He was also known by His name, YHWH.

presidente

May 29, 2013
Some translate the conversation to mean that Yahweh told Moses that He was not known by the name Yahweh to his forefathers.

Others translate it as a question asking was he not known by that name to the forefathers. I am inclined to go with the latter interpretation for the very reason you mention.

H

HEknowsme

I am curious, what references can you provide on the names of Fallen Angels?
I mean am aware of fallen angels per biblical scriptures but I am curious as to where you got that El Shaddai is a fallen angel?

R

RachelBibleStudent

I am curious, what references can you provide on the names of Fallen Angels?
I mean am aware of fallen angels per biblical scriptures but I am curious as to where you got that El Shaddai is a fallen angel?
to make a long story short...he made it up...he has been trying to spread all kinds of false doctrine here lately...

H

HEknowsme

Yes, I agree with you. There will always be those who look to cause discord ..

Shilo

Aug 31, 2011
The way I learned about this is From Adam and eve and God's people after that knew God's Name YHVH. When you study Abraham and the names He called God it gives you a deeper understanding of Gods charactor. YHVH is God's name the other names are just used to describe. Abraham knew the Name but did not know this part of God revealing of himself.
it was to the Children of Israel who were in bondage that received the full understanding of the name. YHVH the most high God is the one who can deliver from any bondage.

Yeshua who was releasing many from bondages said I have declared your name to them.

Yeshua means YHVH saves

May 15, 2013
Genesis 22:14And Abraham called the name of that place Jehovahjireh: as it is said to this day, In the mount of the LORD it shall be seen.

Exodus 6:3And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by the name of God Almighty, but by my name Jehovah was I NOT known to them.

How can Abraham call the mount Jehovah in Genesis when Exodus is stating the name Jehovah wasn't given to Abraham, And we know Genesis is before exodus.
[h=3]Genesis 22:14[/h]New International Version (NIV)

14 So Abraham called that place The Lord Will Provide. And to this day it is said, “On the mountain of the Lord it will be provided.”

[h=3]Exodus 6:3[/h]New International Version (NIV)

3 I appeared to Abraham, to Isaac and to Jacob as God Almighty, but by my name the Lord I did not make myself fully known to them.

Did YOU Know?
The letter "J" is only 500 years old?
The Letter 'J' How old is it?!?

Jehovah [E] [H]
(I am; the eternal living one ). The Scripture appellation of the supreme Being, usually interpreted as signifying self-derived and permanent existence.
Jehovah - Smith's Bible Dictionary Online

Jehovah-jireh
(Jehovah will see or provide ), the name given by Abraham to the place on which he had been commanded to offer Isaac, to commemorate the interposition of the angel of Jehovah, who appeared to prevent the sacrifice, ( Genesis 22:14 ) and provided another victim.

lord (lôrd)

n.1. A man of high rank in a feudal society or in one that retains feudal forms and institutions, especially:a. A king.
b. A territorial magnate.
c. The proprietor of a manor.

2. Lords The House of Lords.
3. Abbr. Ld. Chiefly British The general masculine title of nobility and other rank:a. Used as a form of address for a marquis, an earl, or a viscount.
b. Used as the usual style for a baron.
c. Used as a courtesy title for a younger son of a duke or marquis.
d. Used as a title for certain high officials and dignitaries: Lord Chamberlain; the Lord Mayor of London.
e. Used as a title for a bishop.

4. Lorda. God.
b. Christianity Jesus.

5.a. A man of renowned power or authority.
b. A man who has mastery in a given field or activity.
c. Archaic The male head of a household.
d. Archaic A husband.

S

Sanashankar

Moses is the author of thePentateuch is actually Moses. The 5 books from Genesis to Deuteronomy. So Moses would have given that name. Remember God telling Moses

Ex 6:3 And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by [the name of] God Almighty, but by my name JEHOVAH was I not known to them.

Jehovahjireh which means “YHWH will see or provide”.So might be the name of the place would have been something like "God Almighty will see or provide" (i do not know how to translate that into Hebrew). So when God told his name is Jehovah, while writting he wud have wriiten "Jehovahjireh" instead.

History tells that Jews used to keep account of everything they do, and their names. I think Moses would have had some accounts to see a few things that abraham and his sons did. There is something called canonization of the old testament.

For example we see Moses' death in Deuteronomy 34:5-6. Some asks how can Moses himself write about his death....the answer is it was written by Ezra the priest. He did the final canonization.By the time israelite came back to there land, there were a lot of works which were not authentic. So he removed what was not necessary and edited the real ones and made it public. (i think it is wriiten in Chronicles)

You can go thru this for more info HOW WE GOT THE BIBLE . . . . . . . . . . Mobile Conference 2007