Is this an ungodly thing to say?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
T

troopoftheLord

I was chatting on a mom site. Subject was homeless people. I mentioned that, over the years, all the homeless people I've spoken to have all said they prefer living on the streets because they don't want to be bound to a job or responsibilities. Our (huge) homeless shelter is pretty much empty because people don't want to follow the rules of looking for a job and listening to the Bible being read, which leads me to believe most of the homeless community would rather live in tents in the woods than get a job or listen to a prayer and have a safe, warm place to sleep at night.

I get that I'm only seeing a small majority, in my own area, and can't speak for the whole country. I get there ARE folks out there that don't want to be homeless (met a homeless family last year that desperately wanted to get back on their feet). Is it an ungodly thing to say that, from my experience, the majority of homeless don't want help but hand-outs? I never said these people were scum or not worth helping or saving or that we should hate them. Just repeated what they've told me and my husband (and our pastor, too, has shared similar stories).

Am I being unloving and ungodly by repeating these words of the homeless (as several of the women accused) or is the truth just offending these liberal women?

If it's me and I'm being too harsh or assuming, I need to apologize to them.
I was homeless myself throughout the 90's. There's also to consider those that are at homeless shelters, and those at motels with expensive rent. There's often a stereotype about homeless people that they're drinkers or using drugs and why don't they get a job and get off the street.

Some young people in a car yelled at me to put the sign down and get a job. Every case is different and unique how they became homeless. and ended up on the street. I've been outside, in shelters, and stayed in a motel options.
There are plenty of plenty of people at the shelter that were drinkers. 3 of them Harold, Bob and Steve they did this drinking at the park a mile away. But three guys have a lot of talent. Harold knows construction work, Bob was a lawyer, and Steve was just smart in knowing a lot of encyclopedia facts. All 3 of these guys were smart when I sat down and listened to them. Unfortunately their drinking is holding them back to get their lives back together.

There our those that are like us in the shelter that suddenly got evicted. It's similar to the shelters I've been at to a community center.
Most people are wearing everyday clothes all not ripped up. Some were pushing baskets because we couldn't afford a car to keep our things. My homeless life was one of the best time of my life. Because I knew more people back then than I do today.
People that live in homes take for granted what they have. When I had to sleep outside there are no roofs or walls around you.
Then when I came back to the camp one day it looked like some kids took my clothes , hung them in a tree, and put shaving cream all over them.

California Bay area is expensive to begin with. I was looking for work. A lot of immigrants had moved to the area. Even this one guy offered me a job and couldn't give it to me. He said you need an address for payments. I got tired of picking up cans and bottles. It's hard work if you ever knew. That's why I started holding a sign for awhile. You do get some real work from people. I was temporarily off the street somewhere for 1 1/2 yrs and then ended up in another shelter. It wasn't until the late 90's that I was on HUD and finally living independently. In order to understand how they became homeless you need to talk to them how they became homeless.

Some people have helped me back then and told me about God. I didn't know who he was. I have this testimony however. Even when you don't believe God is still there. God brought me from place to place even though I didn't understand.

Nov 26, 2021
India
I believe a Christian Country should work to end/minimize Extreme Poverty/Homelessness. Let's see what God said in Deut 14 and 15.

"Tithes
22 Be sure to set aside a tenth of all that your fields produce each year. 23 Eat the tithe of your grain, new wine and olive oil, and the firstborn of your herds and flocks in the presence of the Lord your God at the place he will choose as a dwelling for his Name, so that you may learn to revere the Lord your God always. 24 But if that place is too distant and you have been blessed by the Lord your God and cannot carry your tithe (because the place where the Lord will choose to put his Name is so far away), 25 then exchange your tithe for silver, and take the silver with you and go to the place the Lord your God will choose. 26 Use the silver to buy whatever you like: cattle, sheep, wine or other fermented drink, or anything you wish. Then you and your household shall eat there in the presence of the Lord your God and rejoice. 27 And do not neglect the Levites living in your towns, for they have no allotment or inheritance of their own.

28 At the end of every three years, bring all the tithes of that year’s produce and store it in your towns, 29 so that the Levites (who have no allotment or inheritance of their own) and the foreigners, the fatherless and the widows who live in your towns may come and eat and be satisfied, and so that the Lord your God may bless you in all the work of your hands.

The concept is that a portion of our 10% should go directly to alleviating poverty, "that the Lord your God may bless you in all the work of your hands". If we desire that blessing, then we should do this imho, both as individuals and as communities/churches. And Deuteronomy 15 expands on this and is even clearer; there will be people needing help to escape poverty, and it is the job of Christians and the Church especially to ensure they do not feel the sting of Poverty.

Deut 15:"The Year for Canceling Debts

1At the end of every seven years you must cancel debts. 2This is how it is to be done: Every creditor shall cancel any loan they have made to a fellow Israelite. They shall not require payment from anyone among their own people, because the Lord’s time for canceling debts has been proclaimed. 3You may require payment from a foreigner, but you must cancel any debt your fellow Israelite owes you. 4However, there need be no poor people among you, for in the land the Lord your God is giving you to possess as your inheritance, he will richly bless you, 5if only you fully obey the Lord your God and are careful to follow all these commands I am giving you today. 6For the Lord your God will bless you as he has promised, and you will lend to many nations but will borrow from none. You will rule over many nations but none will rule over you.

7If anyone is poor among your fellow Israelites in any of the towns of the land the Lord your God is giving you, do not be hardhearted or tightfisted toward them. 8Rather, be openhanded and freely lend them whatever they need. 9Be careful not to harbor this wicked thought: “The seventh year, the year for canceling debts, is near,” so that you do not show ill will toward the needy among your fellow Israelites and give them nothing. They may then appeal to the Lord against you, and you will be found guilty of sin. 10Give generously to them and do so without a grudging heart; then because of this the Lord your God will bless you in all your work and in everything you put your hand to. 11There will always be poor people in the land. Therefore I command you to be openhanded toward your fellow Israelites who are poor and needy in your land."

Moses_Young

Sep 15, 2019
I was chatting on a mom site. Subject was homeless people. I mentioned that, over the years, all the homeless people I've spoken to have all said they prefer living on the streets because they don't want to be bound to a job or responsibilities. Our (huge) homeless shelter is pretty much empty because people don't want to follow the rules of looking for a job and listening to the Bible being read, which leads me to believe most of the homeless community would rather live in tents in the woods than get a job or listen to a prayer and have a safe, warm place to sleep at night.

I get that I'm only seeing a small majority, in my own area, and can't speak for the whole country. I get there ARE folks out there that don't want to be homeless (met a homeless family last year that desperately wanted to get back on their feet). Is it an ungodly thing to say that, from my experience, the majority of homeless don't want help but hand-outs? I never said these people were scum or not worth helping or saving or that we should hate them. Just repeated what they've told me and my husband (and our pastor, too, has shared similar stories).

Am I being unloving and ungodly by repeating these words of the homeless (as several of the women accused) or is the truth just offending these liberal women?

If it's me and I'm being too harsh or assuming, I need to apologize to them.
I think that there are more than two categories here. Just because the majority of homeless (in your experience) would rather be homeless than have a job, doesn't necessarily mean they want hand-outs. Perhaps society should be changed, so people don't have to pay taxes for the "privilege" of living in their own house, so they don't have to be job-slaves in order to be comfortable? Taxation is theft - these people (like most others) probably don't want to be robbed.

I don't think the truth you expressed was unloving, but I think you might not have a complete understanding of the perspective of some homeless people. If governments stopped stealing from the productive folks and using these stolen funds to war against them, I think lots more people would be willing to work, and there would be lots fewer homeless people.

Beckie

Feb 15, 2022
I think that there are more than two categories here. Just because the majority of homeless (in your experience) would rather be homeless than have a job, doesn't necessarily mean they want hand-outs. Perhaps society should be changed, so people don't have to pay taxes for the "privilege" of living in their own house, so they don't have to be job-slaves in order to be comfortable? Taxation is theft - these people (like most others) probably don't want to be robbed.

I don't think the truth you expressed was unloving, but I think you might not have a complete understanding of the perspective of some homeless people. If governments stopped stealing from the productive folks and using these stolen funds to war against them, I think lots more people would be willing to work, and there would be lots fewer homeless people.
In part I agree. While asking which government servers do want to give up?
I would start with public schooling ,BLM, but it is nice to have the national parks perserved.. we could have tollroads. Wonder if having uniform traffic controls across the land is a good thing

Taxation is way to heavy the people end up with others spending money that is not theirs to spend.