Is this enough to be believing in Jesus?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Almost Heaven West Virginia
I don't know why believing he is real wouldn't be enough as long as you don't deny anything about him.

John 3:16
King James Version

16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

If I'm not mistaken it just says you have to believe in him.

Here's a couple brief explanations LL.
I hope these help.

Gospel illustration

Do you know for sure?

The short of faith is that knowing merely that Jesus exists is not what He was getting at when the word "believe" was used in the gospel of John which was written,

"20:30 And many other signs truly did Jesus in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book: 31But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name."

The book of John is written to those who are not saved, so that they can believe and be saved.
You made a very good point about believing what the Bible says about Him.
The Mormons believe He existed as do many religions. He must be understood for what the Bible describes first. Then there's the mixture of faith in works with grace through faith issue.
Some religions believe that Jesus was merely a man, yet deny that He is also God, yea the Son of God the Father. The difference between false religion and the Biblical description is that false religions add to Christ an additional faith in man's own good works. Depending on the religion, that might include everything from a form of morality to obedience to water baptism in a particular denominational church. When you quoted John 3:16, that's what Jesus told a teacher of the largest Jewish denomination at the time. That man was a ruler of the Jews, yet he was teaching that the law was what saves, rather than the Savior Who stood before him.
When someone realizes that they cannot so much as pay for any of their sins, and makes Jesus the Object of their faith/ belief/ trust, they are given the free gift of everlasting life.
Hold fast to God's promise as you quote so well at the start of your thread.
☕🙂👍📖

bluto

Aug 4, 2016
Sorry about that, I took a chance and guessed wrong. Take a page out of the thief on the cross next to Jesus. He admitted his guilt to Jesus Christ, i.e repented and Jesus told Him that he would be in Paradise with Jesus this day. Jesus knows the condition of your heart and praying to Him is simple talking to Him. Tell Him your sorry for your sins and you want to follow Him. He will forgive you and you take Him at His word.

1 John 5:11-13, "And the witness is this, that God has given us eternal life, and this life is in the Son. vs12, He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life." Vs13, These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, IN ORDER THAT YOU MAY KNOW THAT YOU HAVE ETERNAL LIFE."

IN GOD THE SON,
bluto

Walter

Jul 20, 2022
Washington
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Is believing Jesus is real enough to be believing in him as it would be taken from John 3:16? I ask because I think I might be a little slow in the uptake, like I read things in the Bible that have to do with Jesus but I have trouble retaining those things. Is it enough to just believe he is real?
Hello, LeeLoving again, I also won't ever forget what Jesus said in Matthew 11:25-30

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Is believing Jesus is real enough to be believing in him as it would be taken from John 3:16? I ask because I think I might be a little slow in the uptake, like I read things in the Bible that have to do with Jesus but I have trouble retaining those things. Is it enough to just believe he is real?
What @Nehemiah6 said.

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
I don't know why believing he is real wouldn't be enough as long as you don't deny anything about him.

John 3:16
King James Version

16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

If I'm not mistaken it just says you have to believe in him.
The reason is that it means something to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ. It doesn't mean merely believe that He exists. It means that God became a man, lived a perfectly sinless life, died on the cross and with His blood satisfied the wrath of God, that in doing so He took our sins upon Himself and imputed to us His righteousness, and has done everything necessary for us to have peace with God. This is what you must believe.

DJT_47

Oct 20, 2022
Do you believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the living God? Yes or no.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Is there anything else she should do Nehemiah6? Does she have to be water baptized to be saved according to you?
Now you have descended into silliness, rather than thanking me for the clarifications. Never have I told anyone that baptism saves anyone. But merely to believe that Jesus is "real" does nothing for anyone. The demons believe that more strongly than anyone else. So just a silly comment from you. But I'll tell you what she could do. She could ask Bluto what happened to Pluto.

May 24, 2023
Well you must believe that Jesus is God come in the flesh ultimately; born to the Virgin Mary, lived and ministered as recorded in the four canonical Gospels of the Holy Bible, crucified for sins to be forgiven, resurrected as the promise of God of the resurrection, and ascended into Heaven to prepare his armies and Kingdom, and also that this Jesus will indeed return for the Last Days to save the righteous and slay the damned, resurrect all men that ever lived and judge them, and finally reign in his eternal perfect Kingdom forever and ever, amen.

However, it is a hard and evil time era, full of doutbs and lies and skepticism and confusions of knowledges. It is understandable that one doesn't necessarily start off truly believing or even comprehending the fullness of the statement of faith in regards to Jesus. So it is enough for at least the present time while you can investigate more and learn more about Jesus, about God the Father, about the Bible, etc. for you to know that yes, Jesus is a real person, he is not just a character in book, he's not just made up by the Christians, or any of the popular conspiraciy theories and lies, he is solidly a historical person that most certainly lived in the time era described in the Gospels. Consider it a good place to start and the wisdom in this that Jesus said; that no one can lightly speak evil of Jesus if they are for God. And also the wisdom of this saying of the apostles; build precept upon precept, line upon line, here a little, and there a little. Praise Jesus.