Is travelling an indulgent waste of time/money?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
M

Mooky

Hi all,
I have travelled in my early 20's but have often wondered if it isn't a very self indulgent thing to do given that a)multitudes are starving b)time could be spent getting better aquainted with scriptures and praying c)its a distraction from a service oriented life and many other reasons, potentially.
It's just that the travel bug bites from time to time, and I'm not thinking of luxurious cruises with 5 star meals - more like budget accomodation on a working holiday/student visa.But still.Can I justify it in the light of Christs imminent return , for example or can I see it as a way to accumulate new life experiences which could enrich my christian life?

Dec 19, 2009
Hi all,
I have travelled in my early 20's but have often wondered if it isn't a very self indulgent thing to do given that a)multitudes are starving b)time could be spent getting better aquainted with scriptures and praying c)its a distraction from a service oriented life and many other reasons, potentially.
It's just that the travel bug bites from time to time, and I'm not thinking of luxurious cruises with 5 star meals - more like budget accomodation on a working holiday/student visa.But still.Can I justify it in the light of Christs imminent return , for example or can I see it as a way to accumulate new life experiences which could enrich my christian life?
We all need to have some fun.

K

kenisyes

You need to see new places and new cultures if you are to understand your own options. One of the greatest problems in the church today, is that people stay with their own subcultures and traditions. So many have God in a box and don't even realize it.

U

unclefester

Hi all,
Travel and reading are the two best tools for education that matters. We are instructed to occupy until He comes. And none of us know when that will be. Enjoy your life's leisure. Just always remember to invite Jesus Christ our Lord along as your travelling companion :)

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Before I became a Christian I spent a month in a small Guatemala village.. It ended up being a blessing in understanding living in a Biblical culture of farming, no running water but rather wells, no electricity but rather oil lamps, wood pits instead of stoves and shanty's and horses and sheep rather than autos. Lastly, the biggest difference after having been raised in a big city was the communal-ness of the people rather than the isolationism of modern day life.

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012
I've been around the world and to remote places few ever go. It's a life enriching experience that will definitely help you in your Christian walk. Make that part of your travel; I've been to Israel twice (baptised in the Jordan and skiid the Sea of Galilee) and worked on a mission in the slums of Bogata. The things I've learned in my travels I could never have learned anyway else. And it never stopped me from being giving and volunteering at home, or being ready for His return. If you have the opportunity go for it.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Hi all,
Had I not traveled extensively in my youth, I would never have known first hand that people are the very same everywhere, although I suspected such from childhood. It is good to travel, especially while young if one is to learn about the family that is man in depth.

Now I have witnessed personally how some people will travel from their own countries and come back as blind or worse than when they first set foot out of their own countries. These folks will never truly learn anything of loving fellow man in Jesus until they realize they do not have an up on anyone else just because they were born in one country or another, except perhaps when poverty is considered. As for tyranny, it exists in all countries, and the worst form is that form which is invisible.

Travel and learn from people. I believe if given the opportunity, it is the best thing to do.

J

jo_ptrp

to enjoy God's creations and learn and appreciate other cultures...

P

psychomom

If you have the grace to go...
and especially if you have a mandate from the Lord...
go. :)

You never know what He'll accomplish. ♥
My buddy Suze prays every year she'll be allowed to go to Thailand to minister to other believers.
(missionaries and their families)
I love it that she doesn't assume from year to year that the Lord wants her to go...
she asks!

I think the same can apply to travel for pleasure.
Just ask. :)
Whether the Lord does something for another through you,
or does something just for you (or in you), it's His work, and that makes it good.

Happy travels,
ellie

ps--you know what? I wouldn't be a bit surprised to find that from time to time,
God just wants to give you a luxury cruise with 5 star accommodation. ;)
He's a pretty generous guy who loves you very much. ♥