Israelites Came to Ancient Japan ?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Mar 21, 2011
None of the relates to me. My family heritage in Northern European. I would be what is called a Gentile.

The only salvation for me is belief in Jesus Christ.

Adopting the cultural baggage of some foreign country like Israel or Japan will not give me salvation.

The Old Covenant has been replaced with the new.

Stop will all the Pro-Jewish nonesense. Most of that is cultural stuff that's developed over 2000 years after Jesus.

oldhermit

Jul 28, 2012
Alabama
That is true but, it is believed that the Asians we hear even long before that. I would have to try to dig up some of my old research. (Please don't make me do that). We also know that other civililizations were here even before many of the American indian tribes began to splinter into different tribal nations. Who were these people? Where did they come from? We do not know? All that remains of their passing are their archaeological sites. Americans have such a narrow world view at times and for some odd reason makes us want to disconnect the North American continant from the rest of the ancient world history. This is due in part to the European notion that this was a "New World". The truth is that it was only new to them. It was not new to the Eastern explorers. No matter how far we have been able to go there seems to have already been someone here. Where did they come from? The certainly did not just spring up out of the soil.

The point I was simply trying to make in all of this is that the Word of God must always trump our understanding of history. History does not explain scripture. Scripture explains history. Notice the account in Acts 2:5-9 of where these Jews are said to have returned from and some of the nations that are mentioned.

"Now there were Jews living in Jerusalem, devout men from every nation under
heaven
....We each hear them in our own language to which we were born?"

The Jews were

Parthians
Medes
Elamites,
Residents of Mesopotamia
Judea
Cappadocia,
Pontus
Asia
Phrygia
Pamphylia,
Egypt
The districts of Libya around Cyrene
Visitors from Rome
Jews and proselytes
Cretans
and Arabs

Now, Just these nations alone represent a mighty big chunk of the world. The fact that this is not intended to be an exaustive list of the nations represented is clear from the all inclusive phrase every nation under heaven.

The fact that we are unable to link these words to our limited understandind of world history does not nulify the validity of this claim. Since this claim originated in the mind of God and was relayed by the Holy Spirit to Luke only leads us to question NOT the text, but our understanding of history.

Sep 4, 2012
Now, Just these nations alone represent a mighty big chunk of the world. The fact that this is not intended to be an exaustive list of the nations represented is clear from the all inclusive phrase every nation under heaven.
If you do a word study, you will find that the Greek word translated all does not necessarily mean every.

oldhermit

Jul 28, 2012
Alabama
If you do a word study, you will find that the Greek word translated all does not necessarily mean every.
From Strong's παντὸς - all, the whole, every kind of. Including all the forms of declension; apparently a primary word; all, any,
every, the whole -- all (manner of, means), alway(-s), any (one), X daily, +
ever, every (one, way), as many as, + no(-thing), X thoroughly, whatsoever,
whole, whosoever.

I think the implication of the grammer is quit clear - it is the nations that are under heaven. When this is connected to the παντὸς it paints a pretty exaustive picture. How many nations are under heaven - ALL.

Sep 4, 2012
From Strong's παντὸς - all, the whole, every kind of. Including all the forms of declension; apparently a primary word; all, any,
every, the whole -- all (manner of, means), alway(-s), any (one), X daily, +
ever, every (one, way), as many as, + no(-thing), X thoroughly, whatsoever,
whole, whosoever.

I think the implication of the grammer is quit clear - it is the nations that are under heaven. When this is connected to the παντὸς it paints a pretty exaustive picture. How many nations are under heaven - ALL.
By word study I meant examine every occurrence of that word in the bible, which would include the Septuagint for the OT. If you you do so, you will find that what I said is exactly correct.

oldhermit

Jul 28, 2012
Alabama
By word study I meant examine every occurrence of that word in the bible, which would include the Septuagint for the OT. If you you do so, you will find that what I said is exactly correct.
Yes, I am very aware of how to conduct a word study and and exegesis. In the seven different Gk. MSS I examined, the word παντες or ἅπαντες appears in every one of them. In the 26 different Enflish translations I read, every one of them translated it either every, all, or each. In the four different Lexicons I examined all agree on the deffinition of παντες. I am not sure why you are challenging such a simple exegetical exorcise. Is there some reason you do not want it to say every?

Sep 4, 2012
Yes, I am very aware of how to conduct a word study and and exegesis. In the seven different Gk. MSS I examined, the word παντες or ἅπαντες appears in every one of them. In the 26 different Enflish translations I read, every one of them translated it either every, all, or each. In the four different Lexicons I examined all agree on the deffinition of παντες. I am not sure why you are challenging such a simple exegetical exorcise. Is there some reason you do not want it to say every?
sigh...

this is just a brief sampling. Are you seriously going to say that all refers to every person in Israel in these verses?

And Joshua said, Why hast thou troubled us? the LORD shall trouble thee this day. And all Israel stoned him with stones, and burned them with fire, after they had stoned them with stones. Joshua 7:25

And when the ark of the covenant of the LORD came into the camp, all Israel shouted with a great shout, so that the earth rang again. 1 Samuel 4:5

And Samuel said, Gather all Israel to Mizpeh, and I will pray for you unto the LORD. 1 Samuel 7:5

And Samuel said unto all Israel, Behold, I have hearkened unto your voice in all that ye said unto me, and have made a king over you. 1 Samuel 12:1

oldhermit

Jul 28, 2012
Alabama
I see what you are getting at now. But this does not explain why you would challenge the enclusive expression of our text. He does not simply use the word παντὸς and leave it by its self but accompanies it with a qualifier - under heaven. This would be equivilent to saying "all who were in Caesers house hold." The qualifier shows the extent of the all.

Nautilus

Jun 29, 2012
and i'm done ignorance reigns supreme again