I've found a contradiction (I believe) and I'm kind of upset?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
B

BlackTigress777

I've been thinking all my life (so far) that I'd be able to marry whoever I'd fall in love with (as long as they're a male human being of course..and don't worship satan..) This includes "unbelievers". I came to this conclusion solely because of 1 Corinthians 7 (KJV):

"But to the rest speak I, not the Lord: If any brother hath a wife that believeth not, and she be pleased to dwell with him, let him not put her away.

And the woman which hath an husband that believeth not, and if he be pleased to dwell with her, let her not leave him.

For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy.

But if the unbelieving depart, let him depart. A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases: but God hath called us to peace."

Then (thanks to a thread on here), I came to discover that 2 Corinthians 6 (KJV) tells a completely different passage:

"Now for a recompence in the same, (I speak as unto my children,) be ye also enlarged.

Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?

And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you.

And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty."

If it's Not okay to bound with unbelievers, then why did he mention the situation of being Married to one? How come that isn't a reason for divorce if you're Not supposed to even bound together with unbelievers? If anything, it almost seems as if he's saying that if an Unbeliever likes you ("and she/he be pleased to dwell with him, let him not put her away."), it's okay to stay married to them. This is stated in a sense that the unbeliever is actually married to you already, however, in My opinion, you can't necessarily say that someone just didn't know that their husband/wife is an unbeliever, that's basically common sense to realize that (in my opinion that is).

I'm just lost, it almost seems as if he changed his mind or so about unbelievers. Should I just read the last few things Paul says and just go off that logical basis? It just seems like he changes his mind in between Corinthians and other scriptures. That's my personal opinion.

I'm just curious to know exactly what he means by all of this. For one thing, I'll never have to worry about liking an unbeliever ever again because this is confusing the daylights out of me.

Oct 6, 2012
No contradiction.
The person in 1 Corinthians 7 was in reference to somebody who became a believer once married, and the other partner isn't one.
The second example is to an unmarried believer, warning them not to become married to an unbeliever.

A

Ariel82

he talks about being married to unbelievers because the person who he is addressing was married to that person before coming to Jesus and learning the Gospel truth. In that case he says it is good to remain married but if the unbeliever leaves than the person can be remarried.

However, if you are NOT married it is better to marry a believer than one who does not believe in God because it will cause less problems and you can have someone to pray with and praise God with and do things unto God instead of just trying to please your husband, your husband will be seeking to please God as well and not just himself. Also if he truly follows God he will cherish you and treat you well so that his prayers will not be hindered and he will treat you as Jesus treated the church, be willing to die and sacrifice all for your well-being out of love.

if you read the verses in context they make a lot more sense because you can see WHO is being addressed and that helps to answer WHY the words were spoken differently.

B

BlackTigress777

Thanks to all of you for the information. :)

This just confused me..I'm here thinking..couldn't they just left that part Out of the Bible so it won't (Possibly) confuse others - like myself?

But then again, in a way, it makes me know that the Bible and all of the evidence within it is indeed true (it seems realistic that that's included in the Bible even though it's not necessarily a lesson..and confused the mess outta me.)

So, as a Christian, I can't be with an unbeliever at all. So, if I had a friend who's an unbeliever, you'd just have to end that friendship?

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
I have several friends who married before they became believers and it is not easy for them. Some have to fight to go to church, to take their kids and teach them the Bible. Others have kind husbands, and the wives are worried daily about their eternal destiny.

If you are a believer, I do not believe there is ever any excuse for marrying a non-believer. If the person gets saved, I would be sure to evaluate whether they were doing it to please you, or just because you were an effective "missionary."

I would only date Christians, and then it would never be an issue.

And Ariel is so right - the context of those verses is the deal breaker! No contradiction, just read the whole passage, not just the verses you like!

But a good question to ask and I hope you heed the Biblical text and are not tempted to be yoked to an unbeliever!

B

BlackTigress777

So is it bad to even be friends with them too?

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
I think it depends on how friendly. We should always have decorum with the opposite sex, to avoid the "appearance of evil."

And let's face it, the heart is fickle. It is very easy to "fall" in love with someone who is what our idea of the perfect mate should be.

But being friends to witness, a good thing if you can do it. I'm sorry if that sounds hard. My husband led ME to the Lord, and he made friends with me for that very purpose. When I got saved, we realized we wanted to spend our lives together, and 32 years later we are still in love and serving God.

So my thought is to pray, and ask God about what to do about specifics. But just try not to get caught up in falling in love first, but instead, leading them to the Lord, if that is what you are asking. (I know of another couple that the wife led the husband to the Lord, and then got married and also lived happily ever after - but they were in their late twenties, if that makes a difference!)

A

Ariel82

T

So, as a Christian, I can't be with an unbeliever at all. So, if I had a friend who's an unbeliever, you'd just have to end that friendship?
no you don't have to end friendships. its about marriage and having sex.

the whole two flesh becomes one thing. God doesn't want us to join with unbelievers in that manner if we have a choice.

you should never start "dating" someone with the idea you can "change" them.

Oct 6, 2012
Where did you get that from? You can be friends with non-believers, just not yoked with them.
Just don't let the world shape you, you help to shape the world.
Don't worry about what friends to give up when you become a Christian, the "friends" will give you up. Hold on to the ones that don't.

G

GreenNnice

No, we are to be in this world (with unbelievers) but not of this world. Yes, this is Scripture.

And, you ask another question .

, as a Christian, I can't be with an unbeliever at all. So, if I had a friend who's an unbeliever, you'd just have to end that friendship?
The answer is 'yes,' you should not be with an unbeliever, that is what Scripture says. The Lord leads though, YOU "...follow Me." But, the Spirit in His leading will not do things as pilgrumbrit said, 'contrarian' to His Word . It MAY seem contrarian but it is NOT. Pray to Him, ask Him, the Lord will lead you to the answer of this good OP question you ask, milady, the schwarztigress :)

--------
pilgrumbrit:
Where did you get that from? You can be friends with non-believers, just not yoked with them.
Just don't let the world shape you, you help to shape the world.
Don't worry about what friends to give up when you become a Christian, the "friends" will give you up. Hold on to the ones that don't.
"like" :)

J

jinx

No contradiction.
The person in 1 Corinthians 7 was in reference to somebody who became a believer once married, and the other partner isn't one.
The second example is to an unmarried believer, warning them not to become married to an unbeliever.
This is what I was going to say but you beat me by 40 minutes. LOL

Mar 15, 2013
I've been thinking all my life (so far) that I'd be able to marry whoever I'd fall in love with (as long as they're a male human being of course..and don't worship satan..) This includes "unbelievers". I came to this conclusion solely because of 1 Corinthians 7 (KJV):

"But to the rest speak I, not the Lord: If any brother hath a wife that believeth not, and she be pleased to dwell with him, let him not put her away.

And the woman which hath an husband that believeth not, and if he be pleased to dwell with her, let her not leave him.

For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy.

But if the unbelieving depart, let him depart. A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases: but God hath called us to peace."

Then (thanks to a thread on here), I came to discover that 2 Corinthians 6 (KJV) tells a completely different passage:

"Now for a recompence in the same, (I speak as unto my children,) be ye also enlarged.

Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?

And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you.

And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty."

If it's Not okay to bound with unbelievers, then why did he mention the situation of being Married to one? How come that isn't a reason for divorce if you're Not supposed to even bound together with unbelievers? If anything, it almost seems as if he's saying that if an Unbeliever likes you ("and she/he be pleased to dwell with him, let him not put her away."), it's okay to stay married to them. This is stated in a sense that the unbeliever is actually married to you already, however, in My opinion, you can't necessarily say that someone just didn't know that their husband/wife is an unbeliever, that's basically common sense to realize that (in my opinion that is).

I'm just lost, it almost seems as if he changed his mind or so about unbelievers. Should I just read the last few things Paul says and just go off that logical basis? It just seems like he changes his mind in between Corinthians and other scriptures. That's my personal opinion.

I'm just curious to know exactly what he means by all of this. For one thing, I'll never have to worry about liking an unbeliever ever again because this is confusing the daylights out of me.
Relax. It is similar to this one: 1 Corinthians 7:20 "Let every man abide in the same calling wherein he was called."

If you were called but your mate did not become a believer, then remain in that state in which you were called, faithful to that mate.

But if you were not already married to an unbeliever when called, why would you want to deliberately enter an uneven yolk?

SparkleEyes

Mar 23, 2013
I was once married to an unbeliever and it didn't work out very well. It saddens God when we are married to the wrong person - married to someone WE chose and HE didn't. I think I'd rather be single for the rest of my life than married to one again. :cool:

G

GreenNnice

*contradiction > pilgrumbrit used that word, which is similar to contrarian. God will have us live out a life that He knew before we were born (Psalm 139) and there will be no words from Him for our life that will not be speaking 'life' into our life. How does He speak life? Through His Spirit living in you, revealing ALL things to you, and, he uses many people to show us His way and who He is and who others are not, and, He does not make any distinction when He says that there are two commandments that all the other commandments 'hinge' on:

1) Love the Lord God with all your body, mind, soul, heart.
2) Love others as you love yourself.

The 2nd commandment is also a great commandment in Scripture that Jesus tells us to do all by itself, "Love one another." We are not to distinguish between Christians, Muslims, Buddhists, atheists, etc. ALL . There is NO distinction, these groups are ALL your friends to love, with His Love, and, He will show you just how it is to be IF you ask Him, believe in Him, through faith. The Spirit will lead you GREATLY if you let Him :)

In ways, even, you may see so NOT possible, with people that you think are NOT to be associated with, like me, who has had a BEST FRIEND for 39 years now and he and his wife and two boys do not attend church and never have and do not show signs of serving God (not that they show signs of being anything but 'good people,' they are GREAT friends for me as I was led to Him way long ago :) ) but, yeah, I do things with them, see them, a lot, and, they KNOW my ways of treating God, always have known, my friend's mom and dad went to church when he was 7 years old, but stopped going. So, God keeps me thinking there is hope of change, of coming to want to be spending more time with Him. I will not judge either, the Lord knows my best friend and family's heart. Only He. (1 Sam. 16:7) .So, I am quite vocal around them about the Lord, at times, anyway, as the opportunity arises ("Deny Him and He will deny you," Scripture says) and, that will always be the way it will be, as long as the Lord tells me that is the way it will be, my BEST FRIENDS are non-Christian NOW and have been for years and years now . The Lord leads . :)

May 12, 2013
Can you guys help me out with this one?

Who visited Jesus' tomb? Which account is correct?

Mark 16 - Three women visit Jesus’ tomb: Mary Magdalene, a second Mary, & Salome, and they arrive after sunrise, and see that the stone was rolled away, then they see an angel (only one) sitting in the tomb.

Matthew 28 - Two women visit Jesus’ tomb: Mary Magdalene & another Mary, and they arrive at about dawn, they feel an earthquake, then see an angel (only one) coming down from heaven and rolling away the stone in front of the tomb.

Luke 24 - At least five women visit Jesus’ tomb: Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James, Joanna, & “other women”, and they arrive at early in the morning, and they see the stone had already been rolled away & see two angels/men suddenly appearing beside them.

John 20 - One woman visits Jesus’ tomb: Mary Magdalene and it is morning when she arrives. When she sees that the stone was rolled away, she immediately runs to find Peter. Peter didn't see anyone, so he left. Mary hangs around crying, then two angels appear inside the tomb, then Jesus appears to her.

Thanks!

J

jimmydiggs

Can you guys help me out with this one?

Who visited Jesus' tomb? Which account is correct?

Mark 16 - Three women visit Jesus’ tomb: Mary Magdalene, a second Mary, & Salome, and they arrive after sunrise, and see that the stone was rolled away, then they see an angel (only one) sitting in the tomb.

Matthew 28 - Two women visit Jesus’ tomb: Mary Magdalene & another Mary, and they arrive at about dawn, they feel an earthquake, then see an angel (only one) coming down from heaven and rolling away the stone in front of the tomb.

Luke 24 - At least five women visit Jesus’ tomb: Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James, Joanna, & “other women”, and they arrive at early in the morning, and they see the stone had already been rolled away & see two angels/men suddenly appearing beside them.

John 20 - One woman visits Jesus’ tomb: Mary Magdalene and it is morning when she arrives. When she sees that the stone was rolled away, she immediately runs to find Peter. Peter didn't see anyone, so he left. Mary hangs around crying, then two angels appear inside the tomb, then Jesus appears to her.

Thanks!

May 15, 2013
God doesn't believe in divorcing; but if the other party in which they are not part of the family want to leave, then let them. But if you are with them and they are luring you away from the faith, you must stay until God separates you from them; because God doesn't want you to make judgement on no one. Leave everything in God's hands.