James 4:7-10

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
P

paulareynhart

hi to all,,, live, love, obey.
i have a question,
i've had a few different interpretations on this passage and i'd like to here everybody's view point.

personally, i'm leaning toward the issue that even though we know we've been forgiven and that our Father has chosen not to remember our sins perhaps we should?
maybe it does us some real good to rethink our awful behaviours and painfull inprints?
we all sin, STILL,,,,,,,,,,,
we are never going to be a finished product here and so i belive that repentance doesn't mean we're unable to let go of our pasts, only that perhaps we're reminding ourselves of our present behaviour? what do you think?

W

webchatter

I think you have a good point, but is it US REMINDING OURSELVES? sOME SAY REMEMBRANCE OF past sins, even though we are sorry for them is the "conviction of the Holy Spirit". Yes I think it serves us well & helps us keep check of our sinful nature so we can try to be more like Jesus wants us to be. We strive on because of that conviction.

P

paulareynhart

Smileys...:.... thank-you for your reference. Live,love,obey.....

musiclover123

Sep 6, 2009
I think it's obvious James is writing to people who are still caught up in sin, because he tells them in verse 8 to cleanse their hands and purify their hearts.
First, put off the action, then put away the thoughts of it, the thing in your heart that makes you desire to do it.

I've heard the phrase "God break our hearts for our sin", and that's what I think of in verse 9 when James tells them to be afflicted and mourn. I think he is telling them to be sorry for their sin before they can turn away from it.

W

webchatter

James is one of my favorite books of the Bible, top 2. I think the interpretation of James 4:7-10 is best explained by the previous verse6, & the verse after 10,11. The entire book of James is devoted to how we should behave toward each other, to God, & to ourselves. The people of these times did't actually have much time for laughter.Verse 5 speaks of us not being " friend of the world", aldulterers etc. in 4. I agree that these were probably the sins of those people. Their laughter would be considered "proud". they are described as "fighters, lusters,warmongers,adulterers & adultresses, "ye sinners"(8). It is not unlikely that some people who commit murder sit around & laugh about it later, it's a fact. I think this is who these verses are speaking about & to. As in all Scripture it benefits us & has information & consolation for us as well as hope.
James 4:6=..."God resistith the proud".. In verse 9-..."let your laughter be turned to mourning"... This indicates to me that these were big time sinners laughing about it & not caring about those they hurt, that would make them proud. God wants us to have joy & laughter & treat each other well, care about each other. The whole book of James is fantastic.

I

intercessorginger

I do think it is good for us to be grateful and remember just how much of wonderful heavenly father has rescued us from. Remember where we were when we started and never forget that.
But I never think about any sins because God has forgotten them! I don't want to refresh his memory ...or mine!

starfield

Jun 13, 2009
hi to all,,, live, love, obey.
i have a question,
i've had a few different interpretations on this passage and i'd like to here everybody's view point.

personally, i'm leaning toward the issue that even though we know we've been forgiven and that our Father has chosen not to remember our sins perhaps we should?
maybe it does us some real good to rethink our awful behaviours and painfull inprints?
we all sin, STILL,,,,,,,,,,,
we are never going to be a finished product here and so i belive that repentance doesn't mean we're unable to let go of our pasts, only that perhaps we're reminding ourselves of our present behaviour? what do you think?
James 4:7-10 is speaking to those who have not repented of their sins.

We need to remind ourselves that we are new creatures and so we ought to walk in newness of life. We need to remember that the Lord has forgiven and removed our sins even as far as the east is from the west.
Isaiah 43:18- Remember ye not the former things, neither consider the things of old.
Satan tries to hinder our relationship with God, he is the adversary whose ambition is to kill, steal, and destroy. His goal is to have us lament over our past and doubt our forgiveness and salvation, but Isaiah 43:25 says "I, even I, am he that blotteth out thy transgressions for mine own sake, and will not remember thy sins", so we should exercise faith, live a victorious life, and be fully assured of our salvation.