Jesus' baptism

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Feb 7, 2017
[FONT=&quot]Why did Jesus have to be baptized if he had not sinned?[/FONT]

oldhermit

Jul 28, 2012
Alabama
Why did Jesus have to be baptized if he had not sinned?
By oldhermit

A. The next day he saw Jesus coming to him and said, “
Behold, the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world! This is He on behalf of whom I said, after me comes a Man who has a higher in rank than I, for He existed before me.”
This is not rank of office, this is rank of being. Jesus is the Creator, John is the creature.
B. “I did not recognize Him.” In other words Jesus had not yet been revealed to him or to anyone else as the Lamb of God. From the vantage point of human experience, there was nothing in the physics or the physiology of Jesus by which John could have recognized him as the Lamb of God. This had to be revealed by the testimony of heaven itself.
C. “But so that He might be manifested to Israel, I came baptizing in water.” This establishes the context for the purpose of the baptism of Jesus. John's baptism was for repentance unto the remission of sin. Since Jesus has no sin and nothing of which to repent, why did he submit to John's baptism? The reason is two-fold.

1. As an act of obedience – “
To fulfill all righteousness.” Notice in Matthew 3:15, Jesus did not say it behooves ME to fulfill all righteousness but, “It behooves US to fulfill all righteousness.” The 'us' is all men. Baptism as an act of obedience to the will of God then is an act of righteousness. Jesus did it because God had sent John to teach and baptize the people of Israel. Jesus is a son of Israel and is thus bound to the divine precepts imposed upon the people. He is fulfilling the Law of God.
2. “That He might be manifested to Israel.” This was done in the three-fold theophonic manifestation.

D. “
John testified saying, 'I have seen the Spirit descending as a dove out of heaven, and He remained upon Him. I did not recognize Him, but He who sent me to baptize in water said to me, He upon whom you see the Spirit descending and remaining upon Him, this is the One who baptizes in the Holy Spirit. I myself have seen, and have testified that this is the Son of God.'”
The divine triad is represented by Jesus who came down from heaven now standing in the flesh as part of the material world. We see the Holy Spirit himself coming down out of heaven assuming a bodily for like that of a dove thus linking the two worlds (This is the only time the Holy Spirit has ever been described as assuming any type of physical form); And the voice of the Father from heaven declaring Jesus as the Son of God. This is indeed a unique event that has no parallel. In this event we find the ONLY time all three members of the triadic unity are present in a single manifestation. It never seems to have occurred before and has not occurred since.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Here is a perfect example of why water baptism does not cleanse from sin. Jesus had no sin. Jesus was water baptized as a figure of obedience and to fulfill the expectations of the law, really the ritualized form of worship in Judaism.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

B

BeyondET

To fulfill all righteousness, in a lesser known thing outside the box per say, the human brain isn't fully developed until around 30, Yea way out there lol...

E

eternally-gratefull

Look at Moses and Arron

Moses washed (baptized Arron) (in the river) in front of the people. to SHOW, or be made manifest, or that he was to be the high priest.

Arrons washing did not make him clean, He was not forgiven his sin because he was baptized, and many high priests who followed him were also baptized. but will be in hell because they did not believe in Gods provision.