Jesus Christ only hath immortality

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
S

Sanashankar

There are some verses in the bible that talks about death.

The dead knows nothing, no memory
Ec 9:5 For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.

Ec 9:6 Also their love, and their hatred, and their envy, is now perished; neither have they any more a portion for ever in any [thing] that is done under the sun.

Ps 146:4 His breath goeth forth, he returneth to his earth; in that very day his thoughts perish.

No remembrance of God

Ps 6:5 For in death [there is] no remembrance of thee: in the grave who shall give thee thanks?

Ps 115:17 The dead praise not the LORD, neither any that go down into silence.

no love, no wisdom, no work

Ec 9:10 Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do [it] with thy might; for [there is] no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest.

When breath is taken soul dies

Gn 35:18 And it came to pass, as her soul was in departing, (for she died)

Ezk 18:4 Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth, it shall die.

Gn 2:7 And the LORD God formed man [of] the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul

Jb 12:10 In whose hand [is] the soul of every living thing, and the breath of all mankind.

Ezk 18:20 The soul that sinneth, it shall die

Rev 16:3 and every living soul died in the sea

Nobody will raise until the appointed time
Jb 14:12 So man lieth down, and riseth not: till the heavens [be] no more, they shall not awake, nor be raised out of their sleep.

Jb 14:14 If a man die, shall he live [again]? all the days of my appointed time will I wait, till my change come.

Jb 14:15 Thou shalt call, and I will answer thee: thou wilt have a desire to the work of thine hands.

1C 15:52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

Jn 6:39 And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.

Re 20:5 But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished...

Christ only hath ascended into heaven
Jn 3:13 And, no one, hath ascended into heaven, save he that, out of heaven, descended,—The Son of Man.

1Ti 6:16 Who only hath immortality, dwelling in the light which no man can approach unto; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom [be] honor and power everlasting. Amen.

Ac 2:34 For David is not ascended into the heavens:

Col 1:18 And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all [things] he might have the preeminence.

Please share if know any other verses.

M

Mammachickadee

What about living raptured Christians or the occasional person in the OT that God took up?

S

Sanashankar

Enoch and Elijah was translated to some other place and later died.

The Hebrew word used in Genesis 5:24 for "he was not" is "LAQAH" which is the same used in this verse

Jb 7:21 And why dost thou not pardon my transgression, and take away mine iniquity? for now shall I sleep in the dust; and thou shalt seek me in the morning, but I [shall] not [be].

Jer 31:15 .. Rahel weeping for her children refused to be comforted for her children, because they [were] not.

Paul tells us:

Hb 11:5 By faith Enoch was translated that he should not see death; and was not found, because God had translated him: for before his translation he had this testimony, that he pleased God.

but at the same time he says about all those who had faith

Hb 11:13 These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off,

I do not know it clearly, but i guess Enoch was translated from the sinners, later he wud have died. He wud not have seen eath because of the cruel sinners around him. This is my guess.im not sure.

For elijah's matter,

2Ch 21:12 . And there came a writing to him from Elijah the prophet, saying, Thus saith the LORD God of David thy father,Because thou hast not walked in the ways of Jehoshaphat thy father, nor in the ways of Asa king of Judah,

This happened 12-20 years after his death. The letter shows he was acquainted with contemporary events, therefore must have been living somewhere else.

God wud have translated them the same way he did with Philip from Gaza to Azotus

Ac 8:39 And when they were come up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught away Philip, that the eunuch saw him no more: and he went on his way rejoicing.
Ac 8:40 But Philip was found at Azotus: and passing through he preached in all the cities, till he came to Caesarea.

I don't know anything abt living raptured Christians.

O

OwenHeidenreich

and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?"

john 11:26

E

Exoaria

I can't believe anyone even bothers to make these threads.
What's worse is that people actually come on here to debate them and actually start a theological debate about it.

John 3:16

/thread

S

Sanashankar

and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?"

john 11:26
Yes but i also believe

Jn 6:54 Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.

Not the very day man dies, but the last day.

1Cor 15:52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

Paul says
Ro 6:11 Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.

reckon= estimate, imagine

Aug 5, 2013
Jesus Christ "only"? Are you unfamiliar with Hebrews 7:1-3?

7 For this Melchisedec, king of Salem, priest of the most high God, who met Abraham returning from the slaughter of the kings, and blessed him;2 To whom also Abraham gave a tenth part of all; first being by interpretation King of righteousness, and after that also King of Salem, which is, King of peace;
3 Without father, without mother, without descent, having neither beginning of days, nor end of life; but made like unto the Son of God; abideth a priest continually.

I think "having neither beginning of days, nor end of life" is a good description of immortality.

One might argue that this passage is about Jesus, but that's ignoring several things here. While it's true that the chapter goes on to argue that Melchisedec is a "type" or analogy of Jesus, even these verses alone make it clear that he's someone entirely different -- he met Abraham personally, he was a "king of Salem", and he was "without father, without mother". And yet, allegedly never had a beginning nor an end... immortal, in other words.

L

Laodicea

John 11:11-14 KJV
(11) These things said he: and after that he saith unto them, Our friend Lazarus sleepeth; but I go, that I may awake him out of sleep.
(12) Then said his disciples, Lord, if he sleep, he shall do well.
(13) Howbeit Jesus spake of his death: but they thought that he had spoken of taking of rest in sleep.
(14) Then said Jesus unto them plainly, Lazarus is dead.

D

danschance

John 11:11-14 KJV
(11) These things said he: and after that he saith unto them, Our friend Lazarus sleepeth; but I go, that I may awake him out of sleep.
(12) Then said his disciples, Lord, if he sleep, he shall do well.
(13) Howbeit Jesus spake of his death: but they thought that he had spoken of taking of rest in sleep.
(14) Then said Jesus unto them plainly, Lazarus is dead.

I saw your name and figured you would be posting scriptures about the commandments, but I was wrong. Why don't you post scriptures about other topics like forgiveness and mercy? Maybe you could post why Jesus died on the cross or any christian topic other than keep the commandments, Sabbath and soul-sleep?

S

Sanashankar

Jesus Christ "only"? Are you unfamiliar with Hebrews 7:1-3?

I think "having neither beginning of days, nor end of life" is a good description of immortality.

One might argue that this passage is about Jesus, but that's ignoring several things here. While it's true that the chapter goes on to argue that Melchisedec is a "type" or analogy of Jesus, even these verses alone make it clear that he's someone entirely different -- he met Abraham personally, he was a "king of Salem", and he was "without father, without mother". And yet, allegedly never had a beginning nor an end... immortal, in other words.
Its not me who is telling Jesus Christ only hath immortalilty, its the scripture:D .

1Ti 6:16 Who only hath immortality, dwelling in the light which no man can approach unto; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom [be] honor and power everlasting. Amen.

!timothy was written by Apostle Paul. I just shared what Paul has wriiten. Now we can't say Paul is wrong. It will creat more cousions, so the better way to explain it would be what?

I have an answer, but it will lead to arguments in the thread. So if u like to read that, i can forward the link thru pm. You ask God whether it is true.

P

pug32

1 Cor. 15:1-4 Moreover, brethren I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, whuch also ye have recaived and wherein ye stand; 2. by which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what i preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. 3. For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how Christ died for our sins according to scriptures; 4. And that he was buried, and that he has been raised (eg(e)gertai 3 pers, sing, perf, ind, pass) on the third day according to scriptures.

1 Cor. 15:12-17 Now if Christ be preached that he rose from the dead, how say some among you that there is no resurrection of the dead. 13. But if there is no resurrection of the dead, then is Christ not risen. 14. And If Christ be not risen, then is our preaching vain, and your faith is also vain. 15. Yea, and we are found false witness of God because we have testified of God that he raised up Christ: whom he raised not up, if so be that the dead rise not. 16. For if the dead rise not, then is not Christ raised: 17. and if Christ be not raised, your faith is vain; ye are yet in your sins. 20. but now Christ has been raised (eg(e)gertai 3 pers, sing, perf, ind, pass) from dead, fristfruit of the [ones} having fallen sleep.

Perfect tense is the tense of complete action. Its basal significance is the progress of an act or state to a point of culmination and existence of its finished results.

1 Cor. 15:53-54 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality. 54. So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, death is swallowed up in victory

S

Sanashankar

I saw your name and figured you would be posting scriptures about the commandments, but I was wrong. Why don't you post scriptures about other topics like forgiveness and mercy? Maybe you could post why Jesus died on the cross or any christian topic other than keep the commandments, Sabbath and soul-sleep?
I see everybody in the forum has already started threads about why Jesus died on the cross, forgiveness and mercy and all that. Me starting a new thread abt the same thing will be like duplicating things. This is also knowledge brother. By doing this i am actually loving the plans of God. we call it bible study. bible study not only includes repentance, salvation, mercy, forgiveness. they are taught everywhere. Knowing abt God, his son is also truth which will set us free.

We are to come out of Babylon, and its doctrines and teachings. Where do u think the concept of immortal soul come from?
TaylorIMMaaEgyptSoulsM.jpg
[SIZE=-1]Ancient Egyptian belief in the immortality of the soul: the soul of Ani depicted[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]as the Ba bird visiting his mummified body. (After illustration to spell 89 of the[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Egyptian Book of the Dead; Kathy Stevenson)[/SIZE]

Jul 26, 2013
Matthew 22:29-33

[SUP]29 [/SUP]Jesus answered and said unto them, Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God.
[SUP]30 [/SUP]For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven.
[SUP]31 [/SUP]But as touching the resurrection of the dead, have ye not read that which was spoken unto you by God, saying,
[SUP]32 [/SUP]I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob? God is not the God of the dead, but of the living.
[SUP]33 [/SUP]And when the multitude heard this, they were astonished at his doctrine.

Abraham, Isaac and Jacob were among the living. Jesus however was not part of this group. He was the first to be resurrected from the dead.

Dec 21, 2012
Greece? As Socrates explains in Plato's Phaedo:

"Then, Cebes, beyond question, the soul is immortal and imperishable, and our souls will truly exist in another world!"

Online Library of Liberty - PHAEDO. - Dialogues, vol. 2 - Meno, Euthyphro, Apology, Crito, Phaedo, Gorgias, Appendix I - Lesser, Hippias, Alcibiades I, Menexenus, Appendix II - Alcibiades II, Eryxias

Egypt?

Rev 11:8 And their dead bodies shall lie in the street of the great city, which spiritually is called Sodom and Egypt, where also our Lord was crucified.

Knowing abt God, his son is also truth which will set us free.

We are to come out of Babylon, and its doctrines and teachings. Where do u think the concept of immortal soul come from?
[SIZE=-1]Ancient Egyptian belief in the immortality of the soul: the soul of Ani depicted[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]as the Ba bird visiting his mummified body. (After illustration to spell 89 of the[/SIZE]

T

Tintin

I see everybody in the forum has already started threads about why Jesus died on the cross, forgiveness and mercy and all that. Me starting a new thread abt the same thing will be like duplicating things. This is also knowledge brother. By doing this i am actually loving the plans of God. we call it bible study. bible study not only includes repentance, salvation, mercy, forgiveness. they are taught everywhere. Knowing abt God, his son is also truth which will set us free.

View attachment 55109
Maybe, just maybe, Egyptian mythology offers such beliefs because they are a corruption and/or misunderstanding of God's original Truth. Remember God is the Creator, the Enemy is the corrupter, destroyer, manipulator. He and his kind can't create anything.

L

Least

Maybe, just maybe, Egyptian mythology offers such beliefs because they are a corruption and/or misunderstanding of God's original Truth. Remember God is the Creator, the Enemy is the corrupter, destroyer, manipulator. He and his kind can't create anything.
Isaiah 40:21 Have ye not known? have ye not heard? hath it not been told you from the beginning? have ye not understood from the foundations of the earth?
Isaiah 40:22 It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in:

God's truth has been going forth since the beginning.

The enemy has tried to corrupt the truth since sin entered into the world.

Romans 1:20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
Romans 1:21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
Romans 1:22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,
Romans 1:23 And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.

God's word is clear that we should not mingle other belief systems with the truth that HE has given us.

Psalms 106:35 But were mingled among the heathen, and learned their works.
Psalms 106:36 And they served their idols: which were a snare unto them.
Psalms 106:37 Yea, they sacrificed their sons and their daughters unto devils,
Psalms 106:38 And shed innocent blood, even the blood of their sons and of their daughters, whom they sacrificed unto the idols of Canaan: and the land was polluted with blood.
Psalms 106:39 Thus were they defiled with their own works, and went a whoring with their own inventions.

T

Tintin

I'm not saying that. I'm saying the pagan mythologies are corruptions of God's Truth and that's why some seem close to the Truth and others are incredibly different. Also, the KJV has had it's time in the sun. How about we try a more recent translation?

L

Least

I'm not saying that. I'm saying the pagan mythologies are corruptions of God's Truth and that's why some seem close to the Truth and others are incredibly different. Also, the KJV has had it's time in the sun. How about we try a more recent translation?
I'm not here to debate. Just wondering if you read my post before you responded? I was saying the same thing.
I will stick with the KJV, not sure why that would offend you...

I just wanted to point out that throughout the bible, even when God brought the people into Israel, HE told them to NOT learn the ways of the people around them.

They were corrupt as were their false Gods, and if they learned and followed their ways, that the land would "spew them out," as it did those who were there before them.

Kind of the same thing happening today with some of the things that are being mixed in with the truth. Such as Chrislam. and from what I've seen, many Christians are looking into other belief systems that are false, and trying to mix it with the truth of God's word.

What does light have to do with darkness?

T

Tintin

Sorry, I misunderstood you. The verses you underlined suggested you took the opposing view. As for Chrislam, I've never heard of it.

L

Least

Sorry, I misunderstood you. The verses you underlined suggested you took the opposing view. As for Chrislam, I've never heard of it.
No need to apologize, it happens brother.

I'm glad you're on your toes! :)