Jesus Fulfilled the Law. But What Does That Mean?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
When anyone obeys the Ten Commandments or just the one about loving God, that person will, by the new nature , obey the entire law as originally given, for it is a joy to obey God.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
My point was that it seems that you keep trying to highlight the importance of Jews. Many people take pride in their heritage... nothing wrong with that.

But Jesus has only one bride and that's the Church.

Gal. 3:28 (ESV)
There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

I wish that you could try to understand that.
Yes, we are all one. God bless you always.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
Aaron56 please consider the passages below;
1Jn 5:3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

Joh 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.
Joh 14:16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
Joh 14:17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

Obeying the commandments frees from sin not the reverse!;
Joh 8:31 Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, thenare ye my disciples indeed;
Joh 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.
Joh 8:33 They answered him, We be Abraham's seed, and were never in bondage to any man: how sayest thou, Ye shall be made free?
Joh 8:34 Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin.
Joh 8:35 And the servant abideth not in the house for ever: but the Son abideth ever.
Joh 8:36 If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.

As you know sin is defined as breaking the commandments, it is why they were given in the first place. Our Holy Father in Heaven wants his children to be Holy and sin no more. The penalty Jesus paid with his own blood, but does this mean we let go the goodness of the law?

1Pe 1:13 Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ;
1Pe 1:14 As obedient children, not fashioning yourselves according to the former lusts in your ignorance:
1Pe 1:15 But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation;
1Pe 1:16 Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.

I could go on and on but your mind seems to be made up about the commandments.

Blessings brother.
it’s a matter of who our mediator is is it Moses from Sinai or Jesus from the gospel ? Is it this word ?

“Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions,

till the seed should come to whom the promise was made;

and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.”
‭‭Galatians‬ ‭3:19‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Do we want this word or this word of the promised son who would give Gods judgement to man ?

“For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son: Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.”
‭‭John‬ ‭5:22, 24‬ ‭KJV‬‬

This word

“Do not think that I will accuse you to the Father: there is one that accuseth you, even Moses, in whom ye trust.
‭‭John‬ ‭5:45

“Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God. Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭3:19-21

Or This word

“Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed; and ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free. Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin. If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.”
‭‭John‬ ‭8:31-32, 34, 36‬ ‭KJV‬‬

This word

For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them. But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith. And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them.”
‭‭Galatians‬ ‭3:10-12‬ ‭KJV‬

Or this word

“And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.”
‭‭Mark‬ ‭16:15-16‬ ‭KJV‬‬

thisnword

“Seeing then that we have such hope, we use great plainness of speech: and not as Moses, which put a vail over his face, that the children of Israel could not stedfastly look to the end of that which is abolished: but their minds were blinded: for until this day remaineth the same vail untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which vail is done away in Christ. But even unto this day, when Moses is read, the vail is upon their heart.”
‭‭2 Corinthians‬ ‭3:12-15‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Or this word

“Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.”
‭‭John‬ ‭8:12‬ ‭KJV‬‬

It is a wicked person trying g to follow gods demands v letting Christ into our hearts through the New Testament word that is able to give us new life d set us free from the bondage of sin that is toed to trying to serve God according to what he told rebels against him they better not do or die

rather than coming to Christ the son and learning of the father that loves us and learning his ways gently and with his living patience and wisdom and care for us in Christ

these are gods commandments

“He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day. For I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak. And I know that his commandment is life everlasting: whatsoever I speak therefore, even as the Father said unto me, so I speak.”
‭‭John‬ ‭12:48-50‬ ‭KJV‬‬
If we have Jesus we no longer need Moses mediation or ten external commandments were supposed to have the lord in us and with us by the gospel

It’s a new beginning a new way better

“God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.”
‭‭John‬ ‭4:24‬ ‭KJV‬‬

awe dont need to be told what not to do if we learn what to do Jesus teaches us gods ways , not so much thou shalt not but “ repent and believe me and learn and you’ll be saved “

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
it’s a matter of who our mediator is is it Moses from Sinai or Jesus from the gospel ? Is it this word ?

“Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions,

till the seed should come to whom the promise was made;

and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.”
‭‭Galatians‬ ‭3:19‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Do we want this word or this word of the promised son who would give Gods judgement to man ?

“For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son: Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.”
‭‭John‬ ‭5:22, 24‬ ‭KJV‬‬

This word

“Do not think that I will accuse you to the Father: there is one that accuseth you, even Moses, in whom ye trust.
‭‭John‬ ‭5:45

“Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God. Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭3:19-21

Or This word

“Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed; and ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free. Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin. If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.”
‭‭John‬ ‭8:31-32, 34, 36‬ ‭KJV‬‬

This word

For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them. But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith. And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them.”
‭‭Galatians‬ ‭3:10-12‬ ‭KJV‬

Or this word

“And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.”
‭‭Mark‬ ‭16:15-16‬ ‭KJV‬‬

thisnword

“Seeing then that we have such hope, we use great plainness of speech: and not as Moses, which put a vail over his face, that the children of Israel could not stedfastly look to the end of that which is abolished: but their minds were blinded: for until this day remaineth the same vail untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which vail is done away in Christ. But even unto this day, when Moses is read, the vail is upon their heart.”
‭‭2 Corinthians‬ ‭3:12-15‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Or this word

“Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.”
‭‭John‬ ‭8:12‬ ‭KJV‬‬

It is a wicked person trying g to follow gods demands v letting Christ into our hearts through the New Testament word that is able to give us new life d set us free from the bondage of sin that is toed to trying to serve God according to what he told rebels against him they better not do or die

rather than coming to Christ the son and learning of the father that loves us and learning his ways gently and with his living patience and wisdom and care for us in Christ

these are gods commandments

“He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day. For I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak. And I know that his commandment is life everlasting: whatsoever I speak therefore, even as the Father said unto me, so I speak.”
‭‭John‬ ‭12:48-50‬ ‭KJV‬‬
If we have Jesus we no longer need Moses mediation or ten external commandments were supposed to have the lord in us and with us by the gospel

It’s a new beginning a new way better

“God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.”
‭‭John‬ ‭4:24‬ ‭KJV‬‬

awe dont need to be told what not to do if we learn what to do Jesus teaches us gods ways , not so much thou shalt not but “ repent and believe me and learn and you’ll be saved “
It's a great point. Do we get up each day, get alone with God, enter into and enjoy His presence, and...

...start considering ways to keep His commandments...
or
...continue to abide in His presence, walk in the Spirit, and thereby do not fulfill the lusts of the flesh.

Focusing on God and walking in the light will please God and keep us from sin. Trying not to sin takes the focus off of God and places the focus on us and our efforts.

Inquisitor

Mar 17, 2022
I do not cherry pick but quote what comes to mind in the proper context, also I do not interpret scriptures that are crystal clear ( the words of Jesus the son of GOD the Almighty )Peace.
1Jn 5:3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

1 John 3:23-24
This is His commandment, that we believe in the name of His Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, just as He commanded us. The one who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. We know by this that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us.

Which two commandments is John referring to when he says this.
The one who keeps His commandments abides in Him
You tell me which commandments that John is referring to?

Romans 6:14
For sin shall not be master over you, for you are not under the Law but under grace.

You are under the law and there is no debate on this point. You cannot be under the law (ten commandments) and under grace at the same time. You are living the Christian life in a contradiction of what Paul stated so strongly in Romans.

Inquisitor

Mar 17, 2022
When anyone obeys the Ten Commandments or just the one about loving God, that person will, by the new nature , obey the entire law as originally given, for it is a joy to obey God.
You are under the law.

You believe you must obey the law to be a good Christian.

You believe in being under the law and under grace at the same time.

Paul would disagree with you.

For sin shall not be master over you, for you are not under the Law but under grace.

Paul said you are not under the law.

ThyKingdomComeSoon

Apr 1, 2023
You are under the law.

Inquisitor, my answer in post no 8 and other early posts of this thread. Also I have started a new thread on Psalm 119 with comments from the biblical illustrator, there is a lot to learn for all of us in these wonderful psalms, please have a look.

All of us have free will ,we can choose who to follow. For me I follow first and foremost the teachings of the son of GOD, our Savior Jesus. Do not forget that most of the prophecy in the old testament point to Jesus our Messiah. How can you go wrong by following Jesus words and teachings? You cannot, He is the only way, the light, life eternal.

this came to mind as I wrote this, i include full verses for context; from KJV ;

Joh 14:1 Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.
Joh 14:2 In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.
Joh 14:3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.
Joh 14:4 And whither I go ye know, and the way ye know.
Joh 14:5 Thomas saith unto him, Lord, we know not whither thou goest; and how can we know the way?
Joh 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
Joh 14:7 If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him.

Blessings brother in Christ.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
You are under the law.

You must have missed my saying it is a joy to obey God. Think about what this encompasses, then you will not say such a thing. God bless you, He is in charge of each of us, and gives each of us His will in His manner, not in the manner of any other. This is what many call a "personal relationship." I am sharing here not demanding.

Inquisitor

Mar 17, 2022
What is that new nature?

GaryA

Truth, Honesty, Love, Courage
Aug 10, 2019
mywebsite.us
Christ received the right to represent the Father in every way.
Show me scripture that indicates this to the degree that you are stating it.

And this is recorded:

Jesus is speaking! “Nevertheless I tell you the truth. It is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I depart, I will send Him to you.”
I believe you are misunderstanding the "sense" of the words you underlined.

Jesus does not 'command' the Father - nor does He 'command' the Holy Spirit.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
What is that new nature?
2Co 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

We are to live by every word that proceeds from the Mouth of God........... We learn from Jesus Yeshua from the 'in the beginning' of Genesis to the final 'Amen" of Revelation. Hear the Word of the Lord.

TMS

Mar 21, 2015
Australia
God does not change
The laws that have been nailed ro the cross are not the moral laws of love.

Jesus fulfilled the law and the prophesies about Him, He fulfilled the cerimonial laws that were shadows and a school master for Israel. But that does not mean the moral law is made void.

Stealing is still wrong
Murder is still wrong
Thaking God's name in vain is still wrong
Adultery is still wrong
Forgetting the sabbath is still wrong
Making graven images or bowing down to them is still wrong.

Aug 5, 2023
I would agree it is a joy to obey God. However, if we focus on the letter of the Ten Commandments and consider it joy when we obey that letter we will soon become miserable, for if we understand what that letter actually demands we will soon see our faliures concerning it

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
I would agree it is a joy to obey God. However, if we focus on the letter of the Ten Commandments and consider it joy when we obey that letter we will soon become miserable, for if we understand what that letter actually demands we will soon see our faliures concerning it
We, on our own, will always fail, however those commandments inscribed on stone are not inscribed on our hearts. We do not ignore what is on our hearts. Again, it is a joy and privilege to obey our Maker, It is Jesus Yeshua Who did all perfectly for me, yet I do my best to imitate my Savior, and I believe with my heart that you do also.

Aug 5, 2023
We, on our own, will always fail, however those commandments inscribed on stone are not inscribed on our hearts. We do not ignore what is on our hearts. Again, it is a joy and privilege to obey our Maker, It is Jesus Yeshua Who did all perfectly for me, yet I do my best to imitate my Savior, and I believe with my heart that you do also.
Commandments that were engraved in stone are not in our hearts?
You show that you are a letter from Christ, the result of our ministry, written not with ink but with the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets of human hearts.2Cor 3:3

When I was young, I went to a church and read my bible during the sermon(the sermons were long) And sometimes I would read the ten commandments. And I wondered why the tenth one was there. It seemed so trivial to me, I figured God just added it to make the number up to ten. But in those days, as I read of those commands I only related not coveting to not desiring material goods like your neighbours car or nice house. Although I believed you should not desire other peoples things, it hardly seemed that important compared to the other commands engraved in stone. However, once I reached puberty, I instinctively in my heart and mind knew impure thoughts were sin, I had knowledge of that being sin in my heart and mind. And yet, at that time, I still only believed the tenth commandment referred to material things such as houses and cars. How did I have knowledge of sin in my heart and mind, but not through reading what is written in ink?
''By the law is the knowledge of sin' Rom3:20
The greater conviction of sin always come from within, not by reading law written in ink

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
2Co 3:3 Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart.

Inquisitor

Mar 17, 2022
God does not change
The laws that have been nailed ro the cross are not the moral laws of love.

Jesus fulfilled the law and the prophesies about Him, He fulfilled the cerimonial laws that were shadows and a school master for Israel. But that does not mean the moral law is made void.

Stealing is still wrong
Murder is still wrong
Thaking God's name in vain is still wrong
Adultery is still wrong
Forgetting the sabbath is still wrong
Making graven images or bowing down to them is still wrong.
Exodus 31:18
When He had finished speaking with him on Mount Sinai, He gave Moses the two tablets of the testimony, tablets of stone, written by the finger of God.

2 Corinthians 3:3
Revealing yourselves, that you are a letter of Christ, delivered by us, written not with ink but with the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets of human hearts.

This looks very much like the fulfillment of the law by Jesus Christ.

The two tablets of stone were the shadow laws waiting to be fulfilled.

The love of Christ poured into our hearts is defintely the fulfillemnt.

Romans 5:5
And hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out within our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us.

KALYNA18

Oct 25, 2016
In Matthew 5:17, Jesus says, “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.”
What does this mean? What is the relationship between Jesus’ teaching and the Old Testament? Three ideas require definition here.
The phrase “the Law or the Prophets” is a common way of referring to the Old Testament, Israel’s Bible in Jesus’ day. The “Law” comprised the first five books of the OT, and the “Prophets” captured the rest (see also Luke 24:27).
The word “abolish” means “invalidate.” Jesus did not come to “do away with” or “repeal” the OT.1 Jesus respected the authority of the Law and the Prophets.

The word “fulfill” is the hinge on which the meaning of this verse turns. While it’s tempting to read this as a reference to Jesus’ obedience to the law, the verb translated “fulfill” did not mean “obey.” Rather, the word “fulfill” meant to bring to a designed goal, to fill up and complete, to bring to full expression. Jesus was declaring that he fulfilled the prophecies and even the patterns of Scripture; he showed forth their true meaning.
This interpretation is consistent with how Matthew uses the word “fulfill” in the opening chapters of his Gospel. Jesus’ virgin birth “fulfills” the prophecy of Isaiah 7:14 (Matt 1:22–23) and also “fulfills” the pattern of the expectation of a divine ruler who will bring about God’s salvation (Isa 7–12). The slaughter of the innocents under Herod “fulfills” the pattern established in Jeremiah 31:15 when the mothers of Israel wept at Judah’s exile (Matt 2:17–18).
Matthew writes that Jesus’ deliverance from Herod “fulfills” Hosea 11:1, “Out of Egypt I called my son” (2:15). In Hosea’s original context, that sentence is just a historical statement referring to the Exodus. How then does Jesus fulfill it? Because Jesus fulfills the historical pattern of God rescuing his “Son” from danger (see Exod 4:22). The same could be said of the wordplay in Matthew 2:23: Jesus’ humble origins in Nazareth fulfill the OT theme of the Messiah’s humble origins (e.g., Isa 11:1).
Therefore, Jesus fulfills the specific prophecies of the Old Testament, and he also fulfills the storyline of the whole OT. That is why he represents Israel when he is baptized and then, like Israel, goes into the wilderness—though, unlike Israel, not because of disobedience. No, Christ perfectly obeys in our place. Like Moses going up Mount Sinai, Jesus “goes up on the mount” to deliver his famous Sermon on the Mount. Jesus is a new Moses. He has come to show how he “fulfills” the OT story in and by himself.
Jesus therefore has the authority to interpret the Old Testament and its laws, which is just what he goes on to do in Matthew 5:21–48. He hasn’t come to invalidate the Mosaic law, but to show where it was always pointing.
Jesus fulfills—fills out—the entire OT.

Article from Richard Winston link; https://www.logos.com/grow/jesus-fulfilled-the-law-but-what-does-that-mean/

Blessings
So beautifully explained, and written. I just posted something like this without reading your post, in my thread.

montana123

Oct 9, 2021
Mat 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
Mat 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Zec 14:9 And the LORD shall be king over all the earth: in that day shall there be one LORD, and his name one.
Zec 14:16 And it shall come to pass, that every one that is left of all the nations which came against Jerusalem shall even go up from year to year to worship the King, the LORD of hosts, and to keep the feast of tabernacles.

Isa 11:6 The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them.
Isa 11:7 And the cow and the bear shall feed; their young ones shall lie down together: and the lion shall eat straw like the ox.
Isa 11:8 And the sucking child shall play on the hole of the asp, and the weaned child shall put his hand on the cockatrice' den.
Isa 11:9 They shall not hurt nor destroy in all my holy mountain: for the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the LORD, as the waters cover the sea.

Jesus fulfilled the law by being a sinless man by obeying God's commandments perfectly.

He also the fulfilled the roles of Israel as perfect King, High Priest, Saint, Mediator, Prophet, and He is the temple, and sacrifice, and anything else He had to fulfill.

But Jesus did not fulfill the role of perfect King on earth, and it must be done on earth.

That is what the millennial reign is about Jesus fulfilling the role of perfect King on earth, and then heaven and earth shall pass away.

And there will be a new heaven and earth where sin has never been, and sin will never be, and the former earth shall not be remembered, nor come to mind.