Jesus on the cross or off?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
H

Hal51

Hello my fellow brothers and sisters in christ, My Sis gave me a cross and it had Jesus on it, I have always shied away from the crucifix and I dont know why, But I will cling to a cross without Jesus on it. Please give me your feedback thank you.

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
Jesus is clearly no longer on the cross.
That was finished 2,000 years ago.

That being said, I have no desire to fuss with people over what kind of jewelry they wear.

While we're at it, I also don't care what kind of shoes you wear, or how you cut your hair, lol.

: )

Jun 14, 2013
I always felt a cross is to vacant, to hollow. It's just a lower-case t.

A crucifix, though represents something. It is symbolic and can only be interpreted one way. It has purpose and meaning and clearly represents an entire faith. Moreso than just a cross.

W

Water1944

Hi Hal, This is a interesting post to me. I myself, never saw a big difference in which one I wore. I know there is different faiths represented by them. When I see a cross or a crucifix, I see one thing Jesus, who is the beating heart of my faith. I wonder if the crucifix represents the faith you were raised in? It may be the crucifix is a more painful sight of what Jesus suffered for us. You may not be able to figure out why you are bothered by it, but what matters is that you believe in God, and have a relationship with Him. When I first started at my church, which is very large, 4000.+ members, I was not comfortable with the fact that there is no large cross at the front where we worship. Then I saw why I love the church, God is there, in the praying, singing, praising people. I was raised in a Lutheran church, with the large cross. That's all I knew. I know many faithful believers that don't wear a cross, and then there is some that wear many, and will tell you they don't believe. Jesus knows where your heart is. God's blessings on you my friend.

May 15, 2013
Hello my fellow brothers and sisters in christ, My Sis gave me a cross and it had Jesus on it, I have always shied away from the crucifix and I dont know why, But I will cling to a cross without Jesus on it. Please give me your feedback thank you.
Just use it as an reminder of some sort; whenever you feel you are being tempted, just look at it so that you will not fall into temptation.

H

Hal51

thank you my fellow Christians, I very much believe in the resurrection and a empty cross is what I prefer.

E

enoch1nine

Chunk it. Your real cross is on your shoulder, when you get your water bill, when you lose custody of your child, when someone steals your rims, and you don't seek revenge.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
The crucifix is a symbol of Christ being crucified. The roman catholic church likes to keep Christ on the cross. They by their traditions do not want His work to be finished. Every time they "celebrate" the mass they re-crucify Christ. I suppose if you must adorn yourself with such things an empty cross is best but I should use it to tell of the empty tomb for therein is our victory.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

T

TruthTalk

Hi Hal51, I'm an off the cross kind of person. I think the image of the cross of Jesus will be a reminder to all generations that Jesus paid the ultimate price for our redemption. To the Jewish leadership at that time the cross was the symbol of a curse but to Christians it is a symbol of our redemption. I would be respectful of your sisters gift of the crucifix and find an appropriate place to display like on a book shelf, or in a curio cabinet, just my take on the subject of Jesus on the cross or not.... God bless!

Hebrews 12:2
"who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame,"

Last edited:
P

Powemm

Jesus was and is and shall be forever ..
I'm appreciative seeing it wither way.. Because before I knew Jesus , he hung in silent agony waiting for me.. my intercessor until I recieved the free gift of god into my life . So many people are at this place still today ya know .. however because he died his seed has been freely planted in all of us .. Some still waiting in a seed state .. Some just sprouting , some are trees with no fruit and some are bearing a bountiful harves that Gid has cultivated richly because of the relationship that has flourished between an individual and god .. So I'm appreciative seeing it either way. Seeing Him on a cross simply reminds me of how far god has brought me , all he has done and still doing in my life as jesus is continually being cultivated , transforming me into His image .. I smile regardless if one is wearing him on the cross or off it .. Because until I'm perfected in his image .. Wich I'm not , I will be continually reliant upon His intercessoring for me until god calls Hos son in me , back home

Mar 10, 2013
From the depths of my strange mind comes an opinion different from all of yours that I have read. I don't wear a cross or even have one anywhere in my home. Not that I am against that I just never thought it was important.

when I think of Jesus however, I think of him ... separate from time. Jesus, always crucified, always walking with His disciples, always standing teaching the masses, always seated at the right hand of God always all of these things eternally always interceding. I expect you get my point.

john832

May 31, 2013
It is very likely Christ was not crucified on a cross. In every case in the New Testament, the word that is translated "cross" comes from...

G4716
σταυρός
stauros
stow-ros'
From the base of G2476; a stake or post (as set upright), that is, (specifically) a pole or cross (as an instrument of capital punishment); figuratively exposure to death, that is, self denial; by implication the atonement of Christ: - cross.

Which seem sto indicate it was more likely an upright pale. The important thing is not the instrument of death (what if it were by firing squad, lethal injection or Ole Sparky?), the important thing is what the Father and Christ did for us.

H

Hal51

I cant do it, I love my Sis very much but every time I look at the cross with Jesus on it, I get very sad.

damombomb

Feb 27, 2011
I cant do it, I love my Sis very much but every time I look at the cross with Jesus on it, I get very sad.
We should not just look at the cross, but look into it, meaning further at Jesus now

T

TruthTalk

We should not just look at the cross, but look into it, meaning further at Jesus now
Hi Damombomb,

I completely agree with you that our attention should be focused on Jesus the giver of eternal life. The point is Jesus suffered and took our place the cross - He died on something a poll, a stake, an X, a cross and by His stripes we are healed.

Question - What should Hal51 do with the crucifix that his dear sister gave him as a gift and that now makes him sad to look at? Hal is now in possession of a cross that has personal meaning to his sister. Should he put the cross in a drawer and out of sight or she he..... do what? I believe that is the unresolved conflict that our brother Hal is going through right now...

God bless!

"and He Himself bore our sins in His body on the cross, so that we might die to sin and live to righteousness; for by His wounds you were healed." 1Peter 2:24 NASB

H

Hal51

very good thank you for your feedback

I

ib4gzus

well said notuptome!