Job Woes

• Thread starter Sarahluvs2praisetheLord
  • Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
S

Sarahluvs2praisetheLord

Last month I began asking the Lord to make me stop doing a so called job I really hated. It began getting harder and harder for me to do the job and after a fellow Christian told me that the job was disgusting along with some other choice words, I abruptly stopped. The Lord blessed me with a week and a half long assignment through a temp agency and I thought I had been blessed with a permanent job through a healthcare agency I applied at to become a caregiver to the elderly. I was elated when the owner announced to the entire training class on day one that he was a big follower of Jesus.

I rushed to get my TB tests and physical completed the following week after training and even went as far as taking a cab and bus to the clinic to complete the paperwork when our car broke down. A week passed before our car was repaired and my temp agency called me with an assignment. I figured I could get my driver's license renewed once I earned money from the temp assignment. Because I had the first three steps completed, the agency knew I was serious about starting work as soon as possible. I even kept them updated about the progress on my driver's license (with money being so tight, there was only so much I could do). The paperwork from the agency also stated that they would be paying half of the fee for a background check while the other half would be deducted from our paycheck so I wouldn't have to worry about that.

The healthcare agency phoned me Thursday evening saying they had a new client I would be looking after from 9am - 2pm Mon through Fri but that I could start Fri. Then the person from the healthcare agency called back about an hour or two later saying that she didn't get back to the client as soon as he wanted her to so he was having a friend come over to look after his father on Fri but I could go out on Mon and that I could have someone drop me off since I didn't have my license yet. In the meantime, we continued to have car issues but I never mentioned that to the healthcare agency because I needed to work and the new problem was just with the battery but still a pain in the neck. We don't have a lot of money but my husband was able to get another car that I could use to get from point A to point B and what's better about this one is that the A/C works (something one cannot and should not be without in a climate where the temp. is over 100 every day throughout summer). So, I arrived right on time at the home of the client that Mon morning but the so called, supervisor was late because she got lost. The mother in-law of the 90 year old client stated right in front of us that her father in law had a shower on Sat but probably wouldn't feel comfortable having me assist him until sometime down the road. Her father in law also stated that he preferred to continue having his son assist him with the shower so his daughter in law stated that he would get his next shower on Tue. Next, I asked if he would like to begin his exercises (while the supervisor and daughter in law were there) and he said no and that he wanted to rest. She also stated that he had already had his medication and wouldn't be needing any more throughout the day.

Sometime after she left the house, I asked the old man a second time if he'd like to exercise and he again said "No, I wanna rest." I made him snacks and lunch, helped him to his nebulizer and back to the living room so he could watch television in his favorite chair. I had planned on getting him to exercise again but he fell asleep and shortly after he woke up, his son returned. He asked if his father had his shower and I repeated what his wife had said. He asked about his father's medication and again I told him what his wife had said. He walked over and took a bottle of asprin off the counter and gave one to his father saying it was for his pain. When asked about his exercise, I explained that I had asked him twice but he wanted to rest. I was also feeling worried about causing further injury to the old man since he had a big bruise on the back of his neck and complained a lot about his tailbone aching. All I could do was keep a heating pad on the area which he said felt better and we worked on having him stand up and down as far as exercise went.

When I returned home about 6pm, the healthcare agency sent me a text saying that he had been removed from my schedule and for me to call in. When I called in, the same supervisor that had introduced me to the client that day asked me about his shower and exercise and I again had to repeat myself even though she had witnessed for herself what the daughter in law had said. Then she phoned me 4 or 5 more times throughout the rest of the week like she couldn't make her mind up about much of anything. When she phoned the second time I asked her if she remembered what the daughter in law had said about his shower and when I asked him about doing his exercises. She admitted that she remembered and I said that I felt that the son was trying to act as though I deliberately neglected to do what was expected of me. To which the supervisor said "Don't worry about what other people think. Some people are just----" she never finished the sentence but it led me to believe she was aware that some people are racist and will nit pick when they don't want a person of a different race in their home. In one case she asked me if they had gone over how to use the belt in the training class and if I would come in later in the week so they could go over it with me again. Then she called TWICE back to back on Thu. The first time was to set up a time for me to come in for the training which was set for Fri and then for me to return my badge when I came in.

It wasn't at all surprising that she wasn't even in the office when I arrived. Her supervisor was there and said they've decided not to go forward with my employment! They even attempted to have me wait a full week before issuing my paycheck when by law, they have to issue a paycheck on the same day of termination. The lame excuse of firing me was non compliance of the paperwork such as the background/fingerprint that they're supposed to pay half of and the fact that I didn't have money to renew my driver's license. They were trying to act as though I wasn't even trying to get the rest of the requirements done when they knew my situation in spite of the fact that I had done everything else that was required. For a company that's owned by someone that's a big follower of Jesus, you'd think they'd make certain to have Christian values when it comes to their staff.

It was obvious with the last minute calls to go to the client on day one that they were unorganized. They're very much aware of the fact that they're the ones that pay for background checks/fingerprinting while the other half comes out of the paycheck of the employee but she chose to use that as a lame excuse and twist things around to get rid of me. Even if they were to reconsider, that's certainly NOT the type of company I want to work for. I'm certain that God has something much better for me but I'm asking for prayers because the enemy is really out to get me.

A former customer has been trying to contact me for a session even though I've told him that I quit because I don't want to be left behind when Jesus returns. He dared to respond by sending me an absolutely disgusting text message yesterday to which I responded by sending him 3 links from Youtube letting him know that it's sinful and why he should stop. Instead of taking heed, he sent another disgusting text offering to pay me $30 to send him something of mine. I could use the money but I flatly refuse to respond to his request. It also dawned on me yesterday that Judas betrayed Jesus for 30 pieces of silver. That's an eerie coincidence. And in no uncertain circumstances am I willing to betray my Lord.

I'm praying for a decent job and/or for my husband to get saved and have a successful business so that I won't even have to work unless I want to. I don't mind working but I also want to be available to our children. We're in dire straights right now and it has always given me a good feeling whenever I could go to the store and buy whatever we needed or wanted. Those days have long been over and even if Jesus were to return in a few days or weeks, I just need an income that will allow us to survive.

B

BarlyGurl

1 thes. 5:18 In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.

Jenizona

Aug 8, 2015
Hello! Okay, well first of all.. job situations can be.... unpleasant. A pretty much universal truth. But a couple of things you posted sounded odd... can you clarify what you meant, since I got confused?

A former customer has been trying to contact me for a session even though I've told him that I quit because I don't want to be left behind when Jesus returns. He dared to respond by sending me an absolutely disgusting text message yesterday to which I responded by sending him 3 links from Youtube letting him know that it's sinful and why he should stop. Instead of taking heed, he sent another disgusting text offering to pay me $30 to send him something of mine. I could use the money but I flatly refuse to respond to his request. It also dawned on me yesterday that Judas betrayed Jesus for 30 pieces of silver. That's an eerie coincidence. And in no uncertain circumstances am I willing to betray my Lord.
You quit your job because you don't want to be left behind when Jesus returns? That makes no sense....

Also, he offered you $30 for you to send him something of yours? This sounds as if something of a sexual nature was implied...

Anyway, some clarification might help, thanks! :cool:

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
The Post Office has been hiring.

A

atwhatcost

Got enough to eat?
I remember having such a tough time finding a job that I thought the Five Food Groups were bread, mustard, pressed-ham, popcorn and margarine, but God didn't let me starve. He promised he wouldn't.

Got a place to live?
I remember when I was first married. I had just come off a lousy job (got minimum wage for 30 hours, but had to work 50 hours.) Brand-new hubby tells me his job is good, so I should relax and try out the housewife thing. (That's where I learned I'm so not a housewife. I HATE housework!!! lol) Exactly two years and two days after we were married, hubby was taking a 100-pound piece of heater out of a too-short basement with his stoned co-worker and hubby broke his back. (He knew he could walk -- albeit he looked like a walking letter L -- before the X-rays came back that said his back was broken.)

Me without a job. Him with no chance of ever going back to what he was good at. We lost the apartment -- on purpose. We lost it, because we had no more money to pay rent when we landed the job as group home parents. The house and food (lousy food too -- he roasted a 5 pound pork roast until it was only a one pound pork roast and the meat was still rare in the middle of all that fat, so we mostly used our own money to buy real food lol) came with the job. (We started the job at the beginning of April, weren't going to get paid until May 15th, ran out of all money but one dime, when Dad's birthday card got to me with a check that held us over until the 15th. Just in case you misunderstood what I meant by "no money," or don't get this is all God working in or lives even when it looks bad. :)) God promised shelter.

Got clothes? We were like you used to be. We were able to buy whatever we wanted whenever we wanted. And now, we're not that anymore anyway. BUT, back when we were like that we bought quality clothes. Right now I'm wearing 12 year old Cabela Shortalls that are just beginning to wear at the seams, and an old shirt so old, I'm pretty sure it's older than you are. (I bought it for a job I had in 1983, so I'm really not kidding, although it is funny. lol) God promised us clothes.

Got a/c in your home? Woo hoo! That's not something God promised. That's something he gave you just because you're his very special kid married to one of his other very special kids. Got a computing device, cable, cell phones, two cars, (crappy car that works is still a car lol), gizmos, doohickeys, whatchamacallits, and thingamabobs you don't absolutely need but enjoy and hold dearly? Cool! More gifts from our Dad.

Got a good family? Way cool! Big time gift from God.

Got God? Bingo! Doesn't get any better than that.

Remember that group home parenting job I mention? Yeah. Really, really crappy job. We fell in love with two of the boys (teens in the foster care system), so I can't say that was a bad thing, but the other four + two (had six boys most of the time, but some came and went) were such problem kids we were living on 2 hours of sleep most days. (If a cop comes to your door at 3-5 AM to drop off one of your kids, you have to answer it. If another kid is making a lot of sounds in the kitchen eating everything in sight -- to the point of eating pasta right out of the box ewwww -- you kind of have to stop him. So really 2 hours of sleep per night. But, guess what? We kept that job for seven months -- one month longer than it took hubby to get out of that back brace, so we had it just long enough to make it through another crisis. And then I can give you more terrors-from-the-pits-of-job-hunting tales after that, because that was one of my better jobs I've ever had.

Honestly? I truly remember being like you. Always worried about money and making it because I was always having trouble find any job, then getting an "any job," and then hacking that until I worked my way up to "decent job," and, on a rare occasion a "great job." (Great job! Why I remember when I got this shirt. lol)

Guess what? None of it matters. Sure, when you're in the thick of it, it sure feels like it matters, but God promised food, shelter, and clothes, so you get the basics. The rest are gifts from Dad.

I babysat when I was a teenager. I mean really babysat. Mom died, so I was my younger brother's Mom for two hours after school until Dad came home. I've cleaned house, offices, and nursing homes. I've even cleaned the third floor of a frat house withOUT a/c in August. (Smells like stale beer, mold, and urine. lol) My Five Food Groups days were straight out of college, so I had the degree but still couldn't get "a real job." I was cleaning peoples' houses. If I don't count all those jobs, but simply start with my first "real job" out of college, I've had 21 of them. Bookkeeping, telemarketing, cleaning again, copywriter for an advertising agency, teacher for a drug rehab, runaway shelter counselor, office manager, Assistant Maintenance Manager for a property management group, Maintenance Manager, all sorts of jobs. I even owned my own business for 18 moths. The bookkeeping job was my longest job. Nine years. (My last job was the one I owned. I became disabled when I was 44.)

Guess what? It still didn't matter. I worked, I got paid, I didn't work, I didn't get paid, I can't work, I'm on disability, and yet throughout all of this God has taken care of us.

I know. You're the age where you think the job is the thing. Not really. Rarely is. It's merely what you got to do when there is no food in the cabinets. Even then, there is food somewhere. (I didn't bother putting the popcorn away, and everything else was in the frig. lol) This isn't about a job. You'll find one when God plans you to find one. You may or may not like it, but you need it. This is God giving you his basic lesson plan -- trust God.

You'll get that soon. I may have just helped you ace this particular quiz by giving away the only answer on his test. (Trust God. <----only answer.)

And then? You know what happens next? He gives you the same lesson for something else. My first lesson as an adult was "Trust God to provide what we need and get me/us a job." My second lesson was "Trust God to provide what we need when one of us becomes disabled." That second one? Including hubby's broken back was given to us three times.

Many lessons from God. Always the same lesson. "Trust God."

Now, I have an easy and fun homework assignment for you after this lesson. Go outside and look around. Take the time to see all that God gave you right in front of you -- from that cool tree to a cool rock to a cool car. (Might be crappy, but it runs so it's a cool car. lol) And while you're looking at all that look for a sparrow. There's one around you. They're everywhere. When you find it, remember what God said about the sparrow. (Not one falls without him knowing it. How many have you ever known that fell?) God knows that bird intimately. He really cares about it.

Do you think he cares less for his own daughter?

Trust God!

(Not saying it's easy, but it's the only lesson in town.)

S

Sarahluvs2praisetheLord

Hello! Okay, well first of all.. job situations can be.... unpleasant. A pretty much universal truth. But a couple of things you posted sounded odd... can you clarify what you meant, since I got confused?

You quit your job because you don't want to be left behind when Jesus returns? That makes no sense....

Also, he offered you $30 for you to send him something of yours? This sounds as if something of a sexual nature was implied...

Anyway, some clarification might help, thanks! :cool:
Sorry about that. What I should have said is that a former customer from the other job I hated-the one I quit- is the one that made the disgusting offer.

Mailmandan, thanks for the info. I hope I can get a job at the post office. I've just been trying to get jobs that allow me to sit because my back hasn't been the same since my car accident on top of having scoliosis to the point where I have to use handicap spaces since I can't stand or walk far at all.

Lynn, thanks so much for sharing. You and I have quite a bit in common. There have been a number of times when it looked like we were gonna have to give up our house and dogs but the Lord always allowed us to keep everything but the cars.:)
Thankfully, we now have 2 heaps but at least they're running and one of them has A/C. He doesn't like the idea of my becoming a caregiver because not every elerly person will be as nice as his mother, some will be as unpleasant as my own mother and even worse is some will be racist (which I have reason to believe the last client and his family were) and it's a known fact that racists often nit pick and go as far as lying whenever they don't like someone just for having a different skin color. It's ridiculous that such behavior is still found in this day and age. Prayfully I can make money selling outfits our kids have outgrown and/or prayfully hubby will get to know the Lord and possibly become successful at launching his own business or something.

A

atwhatcost

Sorry about that. What I should have said is that a former customer from the other job I hated-the one I quit- is the one that made the disgusting offer.

Mailmandan, thanks for the info. I hope I can get a job at the post office. I've just been trying to get jobs that allow me to sit because my back hasn't been the same since my car accident on top of having scoliosis to the point where I have to use handicap spaces since I can't stand or walk far at all.

Lynn, thanks so much for sharing. You and I have quite a bit in common. There have been a number of times when it looked like we were gonna have to give up our house and dogs but the Lord always allowed us to keep everything but the cars.:)
Thankfully, we now have 2 heaps but at least they're running and one of them has A/C. He doesn't like the idea of my becoming a caregiver because not every elerly person will be as nice as his mother, some will be as unpleasant as my own mother and even worse is some will be racist (which I have reason to believe the last client and his family were) and it's a known fact that racists often nit pick and go as far as lying whenever they don't like someone just for having a different skin color. It's ridiculous that such behavior is still found in this day and age. Prayfully I can make money selling outfits our kids have outgrown and/or prayfully hubby will get to know the Lord and possibly become successful at launching his own business or something.

I used to hand in a Christian disability chat. One-third of the people there were nurses and caregivers. It's rough on the back.