Job's Faith

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Nov 3, 2012
Job is the richest man in the land of Uz, according to the Bible.
I'm curious, who taught him about God? Because he received 4 bad news in a row but he just said:

"The Lord gave, and now He has taken away.May his name be praised."

Instead of blaming and complaining to God, he praised God. But we, as Christian, our tendency is to questioned Him...

Who taught Job of his faith to God?

K

kenisyes

Three sources: 1. Rom. 1:20, God did, through creation. 2. Noah and sons taught the world a lot after the flood (Sumerian legends record, and the Talmud). 3. Job had friends who talked about God, and honed whatever knowledge had not faded away. The faded away part was why Job had to learn more form God Himself.

I

Indubitably

In addition to kenisyes answer, I am sure that Job's relationship with and love for God was absolute. I believe He realized where his wealth came from and highly reverenced God. He was a faithful, obedient man and sought God fervently. However he came by his knowledge concerning God, he obviously understood the covenant relationship. You do not walk for any reason, ever!

Nov 3, 2012
His faith in God is really incredible... and amazing too!

Feb 17, 2010
ANNJO now I am going to show you something..... Job was taught WRONG by whoever taught him... If Job was right and HE KNEW God as HE THOUGHT HE DID, why would he REPENT? I mean Job thought HE WAS PERFECT.... Job 1. But did Job know what he said right through the book of JOB? NO!!!! look what Job says here in Job 42...

Job 42:3 Who is he that hideth counsel without knowledge? therefore have I uttered that I understood not; things too wonderful for me, which I knew not.

Job says clearly here that he have uttered things he understood NOT! Thngs to wonderful for him, which HE KNEW NOT!

Job 42:4 Hear, I beseech thee, and I will speak: I will demand of thee, and declare thou unto me.
Job 42:5 I have heard of thee by the hearing of the ear: but now mine eye seeth thee.

Job heard of the Lord, by hearing of the ear... So Job was taught but still did not UNDERSTAND... But here in Job 42 HE HAS SEEN GOD!!!! Now he knows what to do... and this is what HE DID!!!!

Job 42:6
Wherefore I abhor myself, and repent in dust and ashes.
Job abhore... Job withdraw the WHOLE BOOK OF JOB AND EVERYTHING HE SAID AND BELIEVED.... And now, HE REPENT IN DUST AND ASHES... Really ashamed of what HE SAID, and BELIVED.... NOW JOB UNDERSTAND!

May 2, 2011
I'm curious, who taught him about God? Because he received 4 bad news in a row but he just said:

Instead of blaming and complaining to God, he praised God. But we, as Christian, our tendency is to questioned Him...

The rich man came to Jesus and asked him what he must do to enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Jesus told him the commandments, which the rich man said he kept since youth. Jesus then told him to sell his belongings, give to the poor and take up his cross and follow him .... When he heard this, he became very sad, because he was a man of great wealth. Jesus looked at him and said, "How hard it is for the rich to enter the Kingdom of God! Indeed, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."

Gospel of Matthew 19:16–30, the Gospel of Mark 10:17–31 and the Gospel of Luke 18:18–30

Riches can lead to trouble, causing in others jealousy, envy, covetousness, or some may sense in the rich person an element of pride. The One percenters vs the 99 percenters - the divide of the classes, the sources of a persons wealth, rich preachers serving rich congregants itching their ears in the midst of societal ignorance, fornication, hunger, poverty.

Sometimes we can think we are doing right or are righteous, even in charitable works that overflow, but the inequity created between persons can create divisions and divisions bring a sword. The second generation often becomes the victim of these riches as was the case with Job. Such righteousness is the filthy rag righteousness scripture speaks of. The ultimate standard of righteousness is Agape self denial and self control and love of others, which keeps us from creating divisions, however unwittingly or with absence of malice.

It may be that my sons have sinned and cursed God in their heart, Job said. (Job 1:5)

Were they sanctified and made righteous by Job's animal sacrifice? (Job 1:5)
-- seems not.

Proverbs 30:9, "Lest I be full, and deny thee, and say, Who is the LORD?"

Romans 10:1-3
Brethren, my heart's desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved. For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge.
For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.

Feb 17, 2010
A good Bible student once asked me.... If God says a camel can more easely go through the eye of needle, than a rich man enter into the Kingdom.... Would God make His children rich? ..... A very good point is it not.

This weekend I fished with a man that was very rich, but gave it away, because he knew it was his downfall. And now? He is still never in need for anything, God still provide.... One said... I would never want so much that I need to stop praying! What awesome people God have me meet!

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
ANNJO now I am going to show you something..... Job was taught WRONG by whoever taught him... If Job was right and HE KNEW God as HE THOUGHT HE DID, why would he REPENT? I mean Job thought HE WAS PERFECT.... Job 1. But did Job know what he said right through the book of JOB? NO!!!! look what Job says here in Job 42...

Job 42:3 Who is he that hideth counsel without knowledge? therefore have I uttered that I understood not; things too wonderful for me, which I knew not.

Job says clearly here that he have uttered things he understood NOT! Thngs to wonderful for him, which HE KNEW NOT!

Job 42:4 Hear, I beseech thee, and I will speak: I will demand of thee, and declare thou unto me.
Job 42:5 I have heard of thee by the hearing of the ear: but now mine eye seeth thee.

Job heard of the Lord, by hearing of the ear... So Job was taught but still did not UNDERSTAND... But here in Job 42 HE HAS SEEN GOD!!!! Now he knows what to do... and this is what HE DID!!!!

Job 42:6
Wherefore I abhor myself, and repent in dust and ashes.
Job abhore... Job withdraw the WHOLE BOOK OF JOB AND EVERYTHING HE SAID AND BELIEVED.... And now, HE REPENT IN DUST AND ASHES... Really ashamed of what HE SAID, and BELIVED.... NOW JOB UNDERSTAND!
wow! slap god in the face why don't you? job knew he was far from perfect otherwise why would we rely on god so much? and as for what he was taught about god being wrong clearly he was taught right because he trusted god when i doubt most of us wouldn't,, he praised god when things went bad not curse his name. what i want to know is who taught you such things? these assumptions are very wrong

Feb 17, 2010
Blain. I want to ask you this..... Does God have council with Satan? Does God today sit with Satan around a Cofee table and discuss what Satan might do to Blain today? Satan would say... Hey God let me take Blain's father today, and kill all his pets. Then God would say... Yes why not? Let us see what he does if you do that.... BLA BLA BLA!!!! And they sip the heavenly coffee, oh there are other holy angels with them, but they only drink coffee they do not join in the conversation....

Does God have ANY conversations with SATAN IN HEAVEN? I thought God threw SAtan and His angels OUT OF HEAVEN, how come they can come and go into heaven as they please? No my friend, Look what God says about HIS communion with darkness..... 2 Corinthians 6:14... for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? And the answer to both is.... NONE!

NOw I ask you again, if GOD SAYS HE HAS NO COMMUNION with darkness, was the KING OF DARKNESS in God's LIGHT as Job says he was. Who lies Job or GOD? I say Job does, that is why he ABHORE (that means withdraw ALL HE SAID).
I did not say Job did not understand and talked about things HE DID NOT KNOW... JOB HIMSELF SAID SO. Did you even read Job42 before you tell me I slapped God in the face? I slapped no one, Job slapped HIMSELF! Read Job 42 my friend and then you explain what happens there.

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
Blain. I want to ask you this..... Does God have council with Satan? Does God today sit with Satan around a Cofee table and discuss what Satan might do to Blain today? Satan would say... Hey God let me take Blain's father today, and kill all his pets. Then God would say... Yes why not? Let us see what he does if you do that.... BLA BLA BLA!!!! And they sip the heavenly coffee, oh there are other holy angels with them, but they only drink coffee they do not join in the conversation....

Does God have ANY conversations with SATAN IN HEAVEN? I thought God threw SAtan and His angels OUT OF HEAVEN, how come they can come and go into heaven as they please? No my friend, Look what God says about HIS communion with darkness..... 2 Corinthians 6:14... for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? And the answer to both is.... NONE!

NOw I ask you again, if GOD SAYS HE HAS NO COMMUNION with darkness, was the KING OF DARKNESS in God's LIGHT as Job says he was. Who lies Job or GOD? I say Job does, that is why he ABHORE (that means withdraw ALL HE SAID).
I did not say Job did not understand and talked about things HE DID NOT KNOW... JOB HIMSELF SAID SO. Did you even read Job42 before you tell me I slapped God in the face? I slapped no one, Job slapped HIMSELF! Read Job 42 my friend and then you explain what happens there.
actually job was in gods eyes a truly rightous man he even said so himself, and honestly i think you might try someone else for info on about god not communing with darkness, if god wanted me to give you the answer he would have made it known to me. but yes contridicting the word of god is slapping him in the face, Jesus warned us about doing false teachings, and thats what you are doing. did you realize you are calling god a lier by saying these things? this honestly sounds like you have some sort if bitterness why else would you say such things? how can you call job a lier when you didn't know the kind of pain he went through for god? honestly i know how job felt and i emphasis him because i know what true pain is, if you knew how dreadful life can really be you wouldn't dare say such things. i know that all my life i have known almost any kind of pain you can imagine, starvation, abuse,drugged by my parents, thrown, cut stabbed,, cancer you name it but i never blamed god in fact because he was with me i always found a reason to be happy. you know nothing of hell, and you know nothing of god or you wouldn't say such things. god is a god of love, so stop seeking answers that aren't there, just enjoy loving god. growing close to him is that simple its like being a child- to just enjoy loving him and being with him.

A

Abiding

Id guess Noah being a preacher of righteousness passed on the faith.
Job knew the plan of redemption. There was a priesthood in his day.
And faith has always been a gift of grace, so thats where his faith came.

Feb 17, 2010
Let JOB show you when HE CAME TO FAITH... LET GOD SHOW YOU... ONLY AFTER GOD SPOKE TO HIM.... AFTER GOD SPOKE TO HIM, not any priest or his mates....GOD SPOKE TO JOB AS HE REQUESTED GOD TO DO SO IN JOB 42:4....

Job says to God.... I will ask thee and TEACH THEE ME GOD! Declare THOU UNTO ME!!!!! So when did Job begin to have FATIH, and when did GOD START TO TEACH JOB? Only in Job 42:4. AND AFTER this teaching Job believed as God intend faith to be. IN HIS TRUTH! Job HIMSELF declares he did not understand... I did not say it HE DID. But then GOD came and teached Job, how can he not underrstand after that?

God only starting to teach Job in Job 42, AFTER He was so mislead and not understanding. And then God leaves it not there... He goes and speak to Eliphaz... and send a message to the other two who ALSO know nothing, but they even said worse things about God! Look ....God now ALREADY Informed Job to the TRUTH, becasue Job at first did not understand! But now HE DOES and this is what God says to Eliphaz...EVEN THOUGH JOB DID NOT UNDERSTAND HE STILL HAD NOT SPEAK WRONG AS THEY DID! So God said this to Eliphaz.... Therefore take unto you now seven bullocks and seven rams, and go to my servant Job, and offer up for yourselves a burnt offering; and my servant Job shall pray for you: for him will I accept: lest I deal with you after your folly, in that ye have not spoken of me the thing which is right, like my servant Job.

Just about the same thing happens right here now... Either me or Blain is doing damage to God. I say this.... If Job said that HE DID NOT UNDERSTAND, and then HE ASKED GOD TO TEACH HIM, then JOB WAS TAUGHT BY GOD TO UNDERSTAND! And if Job says HE ABHORE, withdraw all HE SAID, then I will also ABHORE with him what HE SAID! So I will not take what JOB had to say as GOSPEL! Job who wrote the book of JOB, withdrew ALL HE SAID! WHY? Why did Job witdrew all he said? Because AFTER Job SAW GOD, HE UNDERSTOOD THAT HE WAS WRONG! Just like me! I Also thought I had it all together, but when GOD SHOWED ME, I knew I had MUCH to learn, JUST LIKE JOB...

I ALSO asked God to teach me, and now that I bring the TRUTH, why am I your ENEMY? Like Paul said... Gal 4:16.... Gal 4:16 Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?

The moment I read that Satan can talk to God and sneak into heaven I was BITTERLY dissapointed that God even speaks to SATAN! I did not want a God that would speak to SATAN! And in HIS OWN HOME... God's Holy Sons come to present them before Him and SATAN is amongst them.... Boy when I read that I was VERY BITTER as Blain says... But then BLAIN I read that Job says he spoke without understanding.... And then GOD SAYS this in 2 Corinthians 6.....
Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?
2Co 6:15 And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?
2Co 6:16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
2Co 6:17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,
2Co 6:18 And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.
And now I have only JOY in me.... MY GOD DOES NOT SPEAK TO THE DEVIL, AND HE WANTS ME NOT TOO EITHER! Great is MY Lord and HE WILL BE MY GOD!

LORD touch the heart of BLAIN and give him the TRUTH so that HE CAN BE MADE FREE! AMEN!

A

Ariel82

God speaks to Satan in Genesis 3 when He curses the serpent.

the book of Job is so often misunderstood. the only one who spoke right besides God was a young man most people don't even recognize. Elihu

Job spoke right until he was tormented by his three "friends" who tried to say his suffering was do to sin and he needed to repent.

Job 32
32 So these three men ceased answering Job, because he was righteous in his own eyes. 2 Then the wrath of Elihu, the son of Barachel the Buzite, of the family of Ram, was aroused against Job; his wrath was aroused because he justified himself rather than God. 3 Also against his three friends his wrath was aroused, because they had found no answer, and yet had condemned Job.

Job 33
8 “Surely you have spoken in my hearing,
And I have heard the sound of your words, saying,
9 ‘I am pure, without transgression;
I am innocent, and there is no iniquity in me.
10 Yet He finds occasions against me,
He counts me as His enemy;
11 He puts my feet in the stocks,
He watches all my paths.’

12 “Look, in this you are not righteous.
I will answer you,
For God is greater than man.
13 Why do you contend with Him?

anyone notice that God does not appear until after Elihu rebukes Job and his three "friends"?

Feb 17, 2010
Jesus also spoke to Satan, but NOT IN HEAVEN AND NOT AMONGST HIS SONS! If Satan can come and go before God as he pleases like Job wrote in Job 1, I would not admire a God like that. Is there a God that is LIGHT that has NO COMMUNION WITH DARKNESS, I would like one like that! YES FATHER in heaven is such a GOD!

I know Jesus tolerated Satan and his temptations, but that is to HELP me when I am tempted. How would He understand if he was not tempted when He was at His weakest.... That is why HE tolerated the Devil.

All the other times the evil spirits were VERY scared of Jesus! And I know SATAN CANNOT appear before God in His HOLY OF HOLIES, where HE MEETS HIS SONS! God has NO CONVERSATIONS with Satan in heaven, not even in the first heaven. Satan and his angels are bound to the earth, IN THE DARKNESS!!!

loveme1

Oct 30, 2011
Jesus also spoke to Satan, but NOT IN HEAVEN AND NOT AMONGST HIS SONS! If Satan can come and go before God as he pleases like Job wrote in Job 1, I would not admire a God like that. Is there a God that is LIGHT that has NO COMMUNION WITH DARKNESS, I would like one like that! YES FATHER in heaven is such a GOD!

I know Jesus tolerated Satan and his temptations, but that is to HELP me when I am tempted. How would He understand if he was not tempted when He was at His weakest.... That is why HE tolerated the Devil.

All the other times the evil spirits were VERY scared of Jesus! And I know SATAN CANNOT appear before God in His HOLY OF HOLIES, where HE MEETS HIS SONS! God has NO CONVERSATIONS with Satan in heaven, not even in the first heaven. Satan and his angels are bound to the earth, IN THE DARKNESS!!!
Do you say then that it is Job who believed satan appeared before God to tempt him?

That it never took place but Job had all this happen and he considered that satan had gone before God to tempt him?

i'm just trying to understand what you mean.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2010
I say I believe God when He say ... He has NO communion with SATAN! NONE, But Job said God and Satan discussed what should and what should no happen to Job.
Loveme1, would you want your Holy God to spend time with Satan in HIS HOLY HEAVEN? And worse even, discuss what SATAN may do to you? PLACES, even a HOLY HEART in you and me! This is the Holy God we serve, not the one that TALKS TO SATAN as Job suggested. God in heaven NEVER communicated with Satan, but he did BAN him from heaven. Ordered HIM OUT, That is not communicationg, that is BANISHING, and Satan would NEVER talk back to God. God CANNOT be tempted, Job said God was, as he described. James says God cannot be tempted, and He tempteth NO MAN!

I believe Satan was never before God!

Nov 3, 2012
it is not just about Job's wealth, it's also about the death of his children. After the Sabeans, Lightning and Chaldeans took his possessions, Job received another news that the wind struck the house of his eldest son and all died... How come that he just ripped his robe, shaved his head, fell to the ground and cried "the Lord gave, and now He has taken away.may His name be praised."

WOW!he praised God despite of everything! Who is the man/woman behind his great faith to God? We all do have spiritual mothers and spiritual fathers, in our church, right? so, who is his teacher?

Nov 3, 2012
it is not just about Job's wealth, it's also about the death of his children. After the Sabeans, Lightning and Chaldeans took his possessions, Job received another news that the wind struck the house of his eldest son and all died... How come that he just ripped his robe, shaved his head, fell to the ground and cried "the Lord gave, and now He has taken away.may His name be praised."

WOW!he praised God despite of everything! Who is the man/woman behind his great faith to God? We all do have spiritual mothers and spiritual fathers, in our church, right? so, who is his teacher?

Nov 3, 2012
Abiding has a point there...

Thanks Abiding! God bless u po!

A

Ariel82

Jesus also spoke to Satan, but NOT IN HEAVEN AND NOT AMONGST HIS SONS! If Satan can come and go before God as he pleases like Job wrote in Job 1, I would not admire a God like that.
you are creating an idol Cobus because how can Satan be tossed out of Heaven if he was not there in the first place?

Revelation 12

7 And war broke out in heaven: Michael and his angels fought with the dragon; and the dragon and his angels fought, 8 but they did not prevail, nor was a place found for them[a] in heaven any longer. 9 So the great dragon was cast out, that serpent of old, called the Devil and Satan, who deceives the whole world; he was cast to the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.
10 Then I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, “Now salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of His Christ have come, for the accuser of our brethren, who accused them before our God day and night, has been cast down. 11 And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony, and they did not love their lives to the death. 12 Therefore rejoice, O heavens, and you who dwell in them! Woe to the inhabitants of the earth and the sea! For the devil has come down to you, having great wrath, because he knows that he has a short time.”
Before this event, Satan was in Heaven. Afterwards he is roaming the earth seeking whom he can devour but no longer has access to Heaven.

You put conditions on your worship of God? You "would not admire a God like that"? "a God" ?

so instead of getting to know God you would rather demand God fit a perceived notion of your own?

that's pretty serious.

**sorry for the off topic rant**