John 7:40-44

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

clarkthompson

Jul 8, 2012

New International Version - UK (NIVUK)

[SUP]40 [/SUP]On hearing his words, some of the people said, ‘Surely this man is the Prophet.’
[SUP]41 [/SUP]Others said, ‘He is the Messiah.’
Still others asked, ‘How can the Messiah come from Galilee? [SUP]42 [/SUP]Does not Scripture say that the Messiah will come from David’s descendants and from Bethlehem, the town where David lived?’ [SUP]43 [/SUP]Thus the people were divided because of Jesus. [SUP]44 [/SUP]Some wanted to seize him, but no one laid a hand on him.

New International Version - UK (NIVUK) Holy Bible, New International Version® Anglicized, NIV® Copyright © 1979, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

King James Version (KJV)

[SUP]40 [/SUP]Many of the people therefore, when they heard this saying, said, Of a truth this is the Prophet.
[SUP]41 [/SUP]Others said, This is the Christ. But some said, Shall Christ come out of Galilee?
[SUP]42 [/SUP]Hath not the scripture said, That Christ cometh of the seed of David, and out of the town of Bethlehem, where David was?
[SUP]43 [/SUP]So there was a division among the people because of him.
[SUP]44 [/SUP]And some of them would have taken him; but no man laid hands on him.

These are my thoughts please share yours.

40 Jesus was the Prophet, God told Moses about but, He is much more than just a Prophet.

41 Christ is the Messiah the true king but, Jesus is more than a King.

42 Christ to come from David's home which, Jesus was born in Bethlehem. Christ was be from the line of the Kings of Judah therefore of David whcih, Jesus was by birthright from Joesph. The Messiah was not to be born from certain kings of judah which, thru being born from God Jesus was. The people accepted that Jesus was rom the Galiee so He must have been born there as well. We often come to our own conculsions about people and we are often wrong when we do this. The people knew what the word said but they did not know the truth about Jesus.

43 Jesus divides people as He should. We as believers should be divided from this world of sin thru Him.

44 Jesus often times gets people upset. Even today people do not want to hear about Jesus and His name can cause a lot of upset people. It was not Jesus' time yet so they did not get Him. We should stand by the word and Jesus even though people may get upset, it is better people get upset with us than for God to be upset with us. It is better for a person to get upset with us and one day accept the truth than, for them to never hear it and go to hell for lack of hearing the truth.

Mar 4, 2013

44 Jesus often times gets people upset. Even today people do not want to hear about Jesus and His name can cause a lot of upset people. It was not Jesus' time yet so they did not get Him. We should stand by the word and Jesus even though people may get upset, it is better people get upset with us than for God to be upset with us. It is better for a person to get upset with us and one day accept the truth than, for them to never hear it and go to hell for lack of hearing the truth.
There are some people that say that the Old Testament is irrelevant, mostly the Mosaic law. This is not true according to the words of Jesus himself. It isn't the physical that Christ submits to us. It is the Spiritual understanding the precepts, and principles thereof since the beginning of time. For those who have heard that because we are no longer under the law (which is true), yet have carried that concept to the extreme, I submit this scripture;
John 5:46-47 (KJV)
[SUP]46 [/SUP]For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me: for he wrote of me.
[SUP]47 [/SUP]But if ye believe not his writings, how shall ye believe my words?

Jun 30, 2011
The bible as a whole tells the same story - it's about God's grace, through Faith - people don't 'like' the OT, and really like the NT because either they have itching ears, no discernment, bad teaching, or think their morality is higher than God's

Mar 4, 2013
The bible as a whole tells the same story - it's about God's grace, through Faith - people don't 'like' the OT, and really like the NT because either they have itching ears, no discernment, bad teaching, or think their morality is higher than God's
I don't think that I could really go along with your statement that some "think their morality is higher than God's," but the rest of it I can agree with. What is sad to me, is that some think God should follow them around according to their own will, and bless them because God is love. When that happens, it is a form of idolatry, making God in our own image. I know that seems pretty harsh, but it surely needs to be considered.

T

TruthTalk

We should stand by the word and Jesus even though people may get upset, it is better people get upset with us than for God to be upset with us. It is better for a person to get upset with us and one day accept the truth than, for them to never hear it and go to hell for lack of hearing the truth.
Hi Clark, to me your statement above rings true of this passage of scripture and the humanity of Jesus Christ. He was always about doing his Fathers will no matter what people thought of him and he was doing just that at this festival of booths. Your second point is equally on target because when the personal debates are all over Jesus is still the Son of God who takes away the sins of the world -- repent of your sins and turn back to back God today not tomorrow.

John 7:40-44 NASB

40 Some of the people therefore, when they heard these words, were saying, “This certainly is the Prophet.”
41 Others were saying,“This is the Christ.”Still others were saying“Surelythe Christ is not going to come from Galilee is He?
42 Has not the Scripture said that the Christ comes from the descendants of David, and from Bethlehem, the village where David was?”
43 So a division occurred in the crowd because of Him.
44 Some of them wanted to seize Him, but no one laid hands on Him.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

40 When the people at the festival saw Jesus stand up and heard his words of truth they knew for certain that he was a prophet, Deut18:15, but not everyone was able to go all the way and believe that he was their Messiah and so they become divided over who He is.

41 The other folks who said, “This is the Christ.” must have had this truth revealed to them supernaturally by the Holy Spirit the same way God revealed Jesus to you and I when we were saved. And the other folks who were not sure probably did not understand that Jesus was born in Bethlehem. And so comes their divisions over who Christ is.

42 The author John, is asking this question to the first century Church and everyone who will be reading The Gospel of John. He is telling us that we should already know the answer to his question, “Has not the scripture said?” and so should the people at the festival have known.

43 The subject of who Christ is remains to be a cause of divisions in our personal and social lives today. I recently had a long time non-Christian friend tell that he doesn’t want to hear anymore “Jesus talk”. The message of the Gospel of Christ remains the same also, “Repent for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.” Matt4:17 and there will be divisions “because of Him”

44 The ones who wanted to seize Jesus of Nazareth were the religious leaders who wanted Jesus to be judged and then executed. This did not happen because, “His hour has not yet come.” John7:30 - the providence of God.

Ps. Hey! Clark, I really appreciate your way of posting a verse by verse study of God’s word. I am not very good at going round after round of endless debating but I do like discussing the bible and sharing God’s wisdom together here at CC forum - so keep em’ coming God willing!

God bless!

Paul

Last edited:

clarkthompson

Jul 8, 2012
Old testament shows are need for Christ and that we can not be righteous without God leading our life.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
V.42.. Some people's prophecy charts for His 2nd Coming are going to be waaay off.

Oct 31, 2011
We are to go to the Throne of God through the blood of Christ the Son, led by the Holy Spirit to give us understanding. Some people go to the Throne of Christ, and Christ told us when He gave us the Lord's Prayer to go to God the Father.