Judge not..

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
W

wit2Christlv

Matthew 7:1-5 "Do not judge others, and you will not be judged. For you will be treated as you treat others. The standard you use in judging is the same standard by which you will be judged. And why worry about a speck in your friend's eye when you have a log in your own? How can you think of saying to your friend, ' Let me help you get rid of that speck in your eye,' when you can't see past the log in your own eye? HYPOCRITE! First get rid of the log in you own eye; then you will see well enough to deal with the speck in your friend's eye... These are powerful words coming from our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. This is something that alot of people struggle with, even us "good" Christians. For some reason its easy to see evil over good but we don't know where people come from and we really don't know their hearts. Each and everyone of us is running a different race. And you and I are called to run our own race, that is, the one that God has given us. We need to stop comparing and focusing on others. We need to listen to what builds, not destroys.God gives people time and space to change and we must also do that. I learned that I can plant the seed but only God can make it grow. The only one we are allowed to judge is ourselves and we need to leave the rest to God. Don't watch or listen to negative things, gossip, slander, evil, etc. We need to fill our souls with love and positivity. ( God put this in my heart to share, hope it helps someone. God bless )

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
:) Some nice thoughts........I can only say: Yes, and, uh, well, no..... :)

I agree that we cannot judge another's heart, or their relationship with God concerning their salvation, however, there are so very many Scriptures where we are instructed to judge certain things, and in certain ways........

This whole "judge" thing is difficult for believers, and I know many struggle with the idea of believers engaging in judging others. But there are times when we must, for Scriptures tells us to........

Yes, we must judge ourselves........... :)

And I really like the idea of filling our souls with love..............but that comes with the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit.

:) God bless.....

W

wit2Christlv

I agree to a point but the kind of judging I get from this Scripture is the kind of judging that tears one down in order to build oneself up. It is not a blanket statement to overlook wrong behavior of others but a call to be discerning rather than negative. Jesus tells us to examine our own motives and conduct instead of judging others... And love is just a word without God in it. God is love and God is awesome!

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
I agree to a point but the kind of judging I get from this Scripture is the kind of judging that tears one down in order to build oneself up. It is not a blanket statement to overlook wrong behavior of others but a call to be discerning rather than negative. Jesus tells us to examine our own motives and conduct instead of judging others... And love is just a word without God in it. God is love and God is awesome!
Yup! :)

God bless ya........

M

marrion

That's why its important to be spirit lead in all we do.
1 Corinthians 2:15 reads:But he that is spiritual, judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.
If we are in the spirit we will be led to judge righteously if we are led to judge at all.
Also I believe the Bible speaks against HYPOCRITICAL judgement where for example a thief is trying to judge someone for stealing when he himself is a thief.
The apostles and followers of Jesus judged individuals and crowds all the time in their travels but it was holy spirit led righteous judgement and not the type of judgment to put people down and make themselves feel better.
Their righteous judgment caused people to be convicted of their sin and repent.
In modern day Christianity the leaders are dishing out all kinds of wrong and hypocritical judgments.
We have preachers speaking against homosexuals and then we find out they themselves are homosexuals,then there are those who judge fornicators and adulterers when they themselves are doing these same things.
We all make mistakes and have sinned but I think it is best to make sure you are an overcomer in a certain area before you try and judge or give someone advice on dealing with the same thing you are struggling with.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
marrion.......said:

In modern day Christianity the leaders are dishing out all kinds of wrong and hypocritical judgments.
We have preachers speaking against homosexuals and then we find out they themselves are homosexuals,then there are those who judge fornicators and adulterers when they themselves are doing these same things.
We all make mistakes and have sinned but I think it is best to make sure you are an overcomer in a certain area before you try and judge or give someone advice on dealing with the same thing you are struggling with.

I would say that it's not wrong to preach against these things..........but you are correct in that it IS wrong if the person is engaged in the same sinful lifestyle they are preaching against..........However, these few are the exception and not the rule. Let us not speak disparagingly of those called to the ministry who DO NOT lead such lifestyles......... :)

As for giving advice, SOMETIMES, the best advice/empathy a person can receive is from someone else who is battling with the same trial...........ie: AA..........people can do wonders in a support group, and such groups can be Christian based.

Still, I do see what you are saying, and agree, but there is so much more to consider in my opinion.......

God bless.

Sep 1, 2013
As for giving advice, SOMETIMES, the best advice/empathy a person can receive is from someone else who is battling with the same trial

"Sometimes" is correct and only sometimes. I knew a person who worked in a rehab center and his main qualification for getting the job was that he was a former substance abuser (he actually continued abusing substances along with many of his colleagues while employed there as a noticed when I went to one of their parties).

I got the impression from these places that someone who never had a serious problem with substance abuse because they walked the straight and narrow wouldn’t have the qualifications to be working there to give advice, encouragement and instruction to those who haven’t. Of course I don’t agree with that. Jesus is the perfect example. He walked the straight and narrow and thus He’s the most qualified to give advice, encouragement and instruction to those who haven’t.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
yes, that's why I stipulated "sometimes........" Having served as a counselor for Vets, I can assert that most, if not all Vets respond(ed) far better to another Vet than to a Civilian that had never served..........

I've seen this happen with young adults as well...........people have to be able to relate to those that are in need of advice/counseling, and someone who can say "been there/did that" have a better chance than someone who can only read from books.......but this is just my opinion...........