Just what is Salvation?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Grace911

Nov 11, 2018
I recently started a thread "Does Hell Exist?" and there has been some really great discussion and use of scripture. Now, to couple with that discussion is this "Just what is Salvation?"

All professing Christians want salvation. None want whatever is the alternative. The masses hope to leave this life for a better one. But just what is salvation?

Tell us what it means to be “saved.” Does it mean to “go to heaven”—“be with Jesus”—“have eternal life”? Or “conversion”—“accepting Jesus now”? Does salvation come at death? Or at conversion? I suppose this can be viewed as another way to talk about once saved always saved, but this question is much deeper than that simple belief.

Matthew 19:16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?
Matthew 19:17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

Answer, if you can, WHAT happens, WHEN it happens, WHERE it happens, HOW it happens, and WHY it it important for our eternal life.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Matthew 19:16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life? Matthew 19:17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
You will note that only the last six commandments were mentioned by Christ in answer to this. But the man was in violation of all the others. And as a matter of fact no one can be saved by keeping the commandments. So Christ was testing this man. To answer the question of the title here is the meaning of salvation:
σωτηρία
Transliteration
sōtēria (Key)
Pronunciation
so-tay-ree'-ah

Part of Speech
feminine noun
Root Word (Etymology)
Feminine of a derivative of σωτήρ (G4990) as (properly, abstract) noun
Greek Inflections of σωτηρία [?]
mGNT
46x in 3 unique form(s) TR
45x in 3 unique form(s) LXX
106x in 5 unique form(s)
σωτηρία — 8x
σωτηρίαν — 17x
σωτηρίας — 20x
Dictionary Aids
Vine's Expository Dictionary: View Entry
TDNT Reference: 7:965,1132
KJV Translation Count — Total: 45x
The KJV translates Strong's G4991 in the following manner: salvation (40x), the (one) be saved (1x), deliver (with G1325) (1x), health (1x), saving (1x), that (one) be saved (with G1519) (1x).
Outline of Biblical Usage [?]
  1. deliverance, preservation, safety, salvation
    1. deliverance from the molestation of enemies
    2. in an ethical sense, that which concludes to the soul's safety or salvation
      1. of Messianic salvation
  2. salvation as the present possession of all true Christians
  3. future salvation, the sum of benefits and blessings which the Christians, redeemed from all earthly ills, will enjoy after the visible return of Christ from heaven in the consummated and eternal kingdom of God.

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
"Just what is Salvation?"

Answer, if you can, WHAT happens, WHEN it happens, WHERE it happens, HOW it happens, and WHY it it important for our eternal life.
I wonder WHY you did not ask.... WHY it happens... instead you asked, WHY is it important for our eternal life? Do you know WHY it happens? :unsure:

WHAT happens: God intervenes and saves our spirit, soul and body from perishing because we cannot ever save ourselves. Peter asked Jesus, "Who then, can be saved?" and Jesus replied, " With man, it is impossible but, with God all things are possible."

WHEN it happens: God resists the proud but gives grace to the humble. Our pride blinds us and makes us deaf to the gospel message. God has to break our pride so we can humble ourselves and He also has to deliver us from the fear of man or what others will think about us. With Pride and Fear of man silenced then, Salvation can happen.

WHERE it happens: In our spirit first, then in our soul (mind, will and emotions), last in our body with our mouth we confess that we believe in Jesus Christ and receive Him as Savior, Lord and King.

HOW it happens: Humility opens us to receive the Word of God and the Holy Spirit of God. We hear the Word of Salvation being preached to us and the Holy Spirit give us understanding that awakens our little measure of Faith in our spirit and we know without any doubt that Jesus Christ is the One and Only Savior, we cannot save ourselves or ever be good enough.

Our spirit gives this Truth to our mind in our soul. Our mind, like a computer, processes the information and sends it to our emotions which either gets excited or gets disturbed and starts to speak to our Will which then has to make a decision to accept or reject the Truth of Jesus Christ.

If we accept Jesus Christ, then with our body with our mouth we confess that we believe in Jesus Christ and receive Him as Savior, Lord and King. Then, the Holy Spirit seals us and be become the eternal property of God. We get water baptized and notice something is different about us....

Eventually, we completely embrace God and reject the World... we give God every part of our life, we lay our life down... the Father gives us the Promise of the indwelling of the Holy Spirit and we receive the baptism with the Holy Spirit and again.... we notice we are even more different now.... it's a WOW moment.... we start hearing God's Voice, having dreams, encounters, deep worship, deep love for God's Word, just captivated and on fire with love for God and others and ourselves... we absolutely love what God made and get about our Father's business.

WHY it happens: LOVE... pure love... God's Love for us and our love for Him.

WHY is it important for eternal life: Without the Gift of Salvation, there is NO eternal life... only the Lake of Fire... the Second Death... The final enemy that God destroys is Death, all that choose Death are the enemy of God and shall be destroyed.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
I recently started a thread "Does Hell Exist?" and there has been some really great discussion and use of scripture. Now, to couple with that discussion is this "Just what is Salvation?"

All professing Christians want salvation. None want whatever is the alternative. The masses hope to leave this life for a better one. But just what is salvation?

Tell us what it means to be “saved.” Does it mean to “go to heaven”—“be with Jesus”—“have eternal life”? Or “conversion”—“accepting Jesus now”? Does salvation come at death? Or at conversion? I suppose this can be viewed as another way to talk about once saved always saved, but this question is much deeper than that simple belief.

Matthew 19:16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?
Matthew 19:17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

The term “ saved “ tells us that there’s something terrible coming we need to be saved from

“The earth also is defiled under the inhabitants thereof; because they have transgressed the laws, changed the ordinance, broken the everlasting covenant. Therefore hath the curse devoured the earth, and they that dwell therein are desolate: therefore the inhabitants of the earth are burned, and few men left. Fear, and the pit, and the snare, are upon thee, O inhabitant of the earth. The earth is utterly broken down, the earth is clean dissolved, the earth is moved exceedingly. The earth shall reel to and fro like a drunkard, and shall be removed like a cottage; and the transgression thereof shall be heavy upon it; and it shall fall, and not rise again.”
‭‭Isaiah‬ ‭24:5-6, 17, 19-20‬ ‭KJV‬‬

aid you read the Bible you notice Adam wasnt created needing to be saved he was only blessed and given all dominion and fellowship with God it’s only when he took this position and did what God said would cirse him to death , that Adam needed salvation from the curse he caused

the Old Testament tells the story of creation and how it fell into sin and death and even try ally it tells us this whole creation everything in it is going to end like this and salvstion is about being saved from that end into a new creation ahead with Jesus

“but the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men.

But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.

Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved,( we’re being saved from this )

what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness, looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?

Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.”
‭‭2 Peter‬ ‭3:7, 10-13‬ ‭

To be saved is God saving us from this entire creation that is doomed to end in a blazing inferno a lake of terrible fire . He’s given the gospel foret tonthis works so people can be saved from that end nd be given eternal life in a new world

God is saving creation like Jesus he died but then was raised up in glory that’s going to happen to all creation

He’s saving us from this world and it’s end

“And we know that we are of God, and the whole world lieth in wickedness.”
‭‭1 John‬ ‭5:19‬ ‭KJV‬‬

It’s going to end and then we’re saved for this eternal home of glory

“And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.

And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

( this is the end of salvations road )

And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God. And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away. And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful. And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely. He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son.”
‭‭Revelation‬ ‭21:1-7‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Saved , reconciled , redeemed those terms are telling us there is a reparation happening of something that went terribly wrong between God and man

Blade

Nov 19, 2019
I wonder WHY you did not ask.... WHY it happens... instead you asked, WHY is it important for our eternal life? Do you know WHY it happens? :unsure:

WHAT happens: God intervenes and saves our spirit, soul and body from perishing because we cannot ever save ourselves. Peter asked Jesus, "Who then, can be saved?" and Jesus replied, " With man, it is impossible but, with God all things are possible."

WHEN it happens: God resists the proud but gives grace to the humble. Our pride blinds us and makes us deaf to the gospel message. God has to break our pride so we can humble ourselves and He also has to deliver us from the fear of man or what others will think about us. With Pride and Fear of man silenced then, Salvation can happen.

WHERE it happens: In our spirit first, then in our soul (mind, will and emotions), last in our body with our mouth we confess that we believe in Jesus Christ and receive Him as Savior, Lord and King.

HOW it happens: Humility opens us to receive the Word of God and the Holy Spirit of God. We hear the Word of Salvation being preached to us and the Holy Spirit give us understanding that awakens our little measure of Faith in our spirit and we know without any doubt that Jesus Christ is the One and Only Savior, we cannot save ourselves or ever be good enough.

Our spirit gives this Truth to our mind in our soul. Our mind, like a computer, processes the information and sends it to our emotions which either gets excited or gets disturbed and starts to speak to our Will which then has to make a decision to accept or reject the Truth of Jesus Christ.

If we accept Jesus Christ, then with our body with our mouth we confess that we believe in Jesus Christ and receive Him as Savior, Lord and King. Then, the Holy Spirit seals us and be become the eternal property of God. We get water baptized and notice something is different about us....

Eventually, we completely embrace God and reject the World... we give God every part of our life, we lay our life down... the Father gives us the Promise of the indwelling of the Holy Spirit and we receive the baptism with the Holy Spirit and again.... we notice we are even more different now.... it's a WOW moment.... we start hearing God's Voice, having dreams, encounters, deep worship, deep love for God's Word, just captivated and on fire with love for God and others and ourselves... we absolutely love what God made and get about our Father's business.

WHY is it important for eternal life: Without the Gift of Salvation, there is NO eternal life... only the Lake of Fire... the Second Death... The final enemy that God destroys is Death, all that choose Death are the enemy of God and shall be destroyed.
:D I truly like how you think. As of late just before I went to bed two nights ago He asked me 3 times "why did I go to the Cross". One I feel.. what I am back in preschool lol seems like a simple slam and dunk question. Yet yesterday kids took me out and out of no where He said again "why did I go to the Cross". I have said nothing yet. Not looking for a answer yet thinking now about it you come to mine.. you have wonderful reply's I just love them

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
:D I truly like how you think. As of late just before I went to bed two nights ago He asked me 3 times "why did I go to the Cross". One I feel.. what I am back in preschool lol seems like a simple slam and dunk question. Yet yesterday kids took me out and out of no where He said again "why did I go to the Cross". I have said nothing yet. Not looking for a answer yet thinking now about it you come to mine.. you have wonderful reply's I just love them
Thank you @Blade

You’re a blessing! :love:(y)

rogerg

Jul 13, 2021

God takes those whom He had chosen to salvation out from under power of the law of sin and death and unsolicited places
them under the power of Law of the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus. It occurs at a time of God's choosing, which can be at different points in the lives of those saved. It happens spiritually, not a physically, and so might not even be immediately obvious when it occurs, but from that transition, the Holy Spirit then indwells those so chosen and imparts unto them His fruit - the fruit of the Holy Spirit - by which, they are made wise and faithful in Christ and His salvation. It is important because those under the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus will never come under God's condemnation as their unrighteousness is taken from them and Christ's righteousness (which righteousness also condemned sin in the flesh), is imputed to them.
There is no other way to become saved. Notice (below) how that it was only by the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus itself that set Paul free from the law of sin and death, and by nothing that he himself did to either cause it or to earn it.

[Rom 8:1-3 KJV]
1 [There is] therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:

[1Co 1:30-31 KJV]
30 But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:
31 That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

Bob-Carabbio

Jun 24, 2020
Tell us what it means to be “saved.”

Simplest thing in the world!!!! "Religious Buzz Words" aside, it means that a Sin-laden Human being has passed from SPIRITUAL DEATH, into Spiritual LIFE, and become a CHILD OF GOD.

It happens BY FAITH (Heb 11:1 Eph 2:8,9), the person has been instantly cleansed from their SIN, is indwelled by the Holy Spirit which is joined with their human spirit, and KNOWS that they're Heaven-bound, when physical death happens.

"Belief" (defined as "Mental assent") in theological systems, or "Church attendance/membership" IS NOT the mechanism by which being BORN AGAIN occurs.

Church can provide an environment, however, where real Spiritual business can be done (assuming that the Church system is based on Biblical TRUTH). Some are, and some aren't. I was Born again in an upstairs bedroom.

God DRAWS the person to Christ (John 6:44) by convicting them of their SIN, and of impending judgement. The person responds, then (hopefully) by Surrendering to God, Repenting of their SIN, and calling upon God to save them in FAITH gifted by God Eph 2:8,9). And then everything changes, and the person is NEW, Pure, and indwelled by the Holy SPirit, which allows them to see and appreciate "the Kingdom of God", and the person can take Jesus' YOKE upon them, and begin learning of Him, and about the Spiritual world that they never were aware of before. Biblically it's called "Sanctification", which is INSTANT upon salvation, and also progressive, as they mature in Christ - for the rest of their lives.

In my case, it was a "God set-up" back in '63. We (a married couple and me) came into Houston, and got an apartment across the hall from a Southern Baptist Bible school student and his wife. They were in the process of re-locating to Pasadena, TX where the Bible school was, BUT God by the Holy SPirit told them that we were THEIR MISSION FIELD and not to move until we had been saved. SO - they let their deposit go, and re-upped monthly until they were released. In any case they invited the couple over for coffee and cake, and led 'em into salvation about two weeks later. The next day my room mate took ME on, The Holy SPirit convicted me of MY SIN, and after an hour or so I surrendered, repented, and cried (literally) out for salvation - and everything changed. Suddenly I wasn't suicidal, or hopeless any more, my SIN was gone, and I was new.

The next morning (as frosting on the cake) I wasn't a "smoker" any more. I had been doing three packs a day for 6-7 years, and it was simply GONE. no withdrawal, no craving, nothing. Just like I'd never smoked in my life (more to that story).

That was 60 years ago, and I'm STILL "New". His YOKE has proven to be "Easy", and He's had me it the right place at the right time for all those years. and I'm STILL "Learning of Him".

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
Simplest thing in the world!!!! "Religious Buzz Words" aside, it means that a Sin-laden Human being has passed from SPIRITUAL DEATH, into Spiritual LIFE, and become a CHILD OF GOD.

It happens BY FAITH (Heb 11:1 Eph 2:8,9), the person has been instantly cleansed from their SIN, is indwelled by the Holy Spirit which is joined with their human spirit, and KNOWS that they're Heaven-bound, when physical death happens.

"Belief" (defined as "Mental assent") in theological systems, or "Church attendance/membership" IS NOT the mechanism by which being BORN AGAIN occurs.

Church can provide an environment, however, where real Spiritual business can be done (assuming that the Church system is based on Biblical TRUTH). Some are, and some aren't. I was Born again in an upstairs bedroom.

God DRAWS the person to Christ (John 6:44) by convicting them of their SIN, and of impending judgement. The person responds, then (hopefully) by Surrendering to God, Repenting of their SIN, and calling upon God to save them in FAITH gifted by God Eph 2:8,9). And then everything changes, and the person is NEW, Pure, and indwelled by the Holy SPirit, which allows them to see and appreciate "the Kingdom of God", and the person can take Jesus' YOKE upon them, and begin learning of Him, and about the Spiritual world that they never were aware of before. Biblically it's called "Sanctification", which is INSTANT upon salvation, and also progressive, as they mature in Christ - for the rest of their lives.

In my case, it was a "God set-up" back in '63. We (a married couple and me) came into Houston, and got an apartment across the hall from a Southern Baptist Bible school student and his wife. They were in the process of re-locating to Pasadena, TX where the Bible school was, BUT God by the Holy SPirit told them that we were THEIR MISSION FIELD and not to move until we had been saved. SO - they let their deposit go, and re-upped monthly until they were released. In any case they invited the couple over for coffee and cake, and led 'em into salvation about two weeks later. The next day my room mate took ME on, The Holy SPirit convicted me of MY SIN, and after an hour or so I surrendered, repented, and cried (literally) out for salvation - and everything changed. Suddenly I wasn't suicidal, or hopeless any more, my SIN was gone, and I was new.

The next morning (as frosting on the cake) I wasn't a "smoker" any more. I had been doing three packs a day for 6-7 years, and it was simply GONE. no withdrawal, no craving, nothing. Just like I'd never smoked in my life (more to that story).

That was 60 years ago, and I'm STILL "New". His YOKE has proven to be "Easy", and He's had me it the right place at the right time for all those years. and I'm STILL "Learning of Him".
Hallelujah!!! Praise God!!! :love:

I loved reading your testimony, thank you for sharing!

Eli1

Apr 5, 2022

This is one of the nicest posts i've read about Salvation in a long time.
Thank you for sharing.