Keeping the Sabbath Day Holy

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

newton3003

Feb 4, 2017

​Godcommands us to remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. But how andto what extent is it to be done?

Exodus20:9-10 says, “Six days you shall labor, and do all your work, butthe seventh day is a Sabbath to the LORD your God. On it you shallnot do any work, you, or your son, or your daughter, your maleservant, or your female servant, or your livestock, or the sojournerwho is within your gates.”

Everypassage in the Old Testament is considered to be the Law. It is theLaw that Jesus said he did not come to change, and he says in Matthew5:17-19, “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or theProphets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. Fortruly, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not an iota,not a dot, will pass from the Law until all is accomplished.Therefore whoever relaxes one of the least of these commandments andteaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom ofheaven, but whoever does them and teaches them will be called greatin the kingdom of heaven.”

So,the responsibility lies with us to abide by this Commandment. We haveseen in the Old Testament the consequences of not keeping the Sabbathday holy when in Numbers 15:32-36 a man was caught collecting stickson that day. God told Moses that the man is to be stoned to death. Sothe importance of the Sabbath day lies in understanding what it isand how to act on that day.

Exodus20:9-10 is clear in saying that we are to do no work. But whatconstitutes work? It appears from looking at the Bible as a wholethat work is something that one does for gain. Jesus tells us thatthere are things we can do on the Sabbath, so the inference is thatthey do not constitute such work. Jesus himself healed people in theSabbath. His rationale for doing so is found in Matthew 12:11-12 inwhich he says, “[W]hich one of you who has a sheep, if it fallsinto a pit on the sabbath, will not take hold of it and lift it out?Of how much more value is a man than a sheep! So it is lawful to dogood on the Sabbath.” This has some basis in Deuteronomy 22:4,which says, “You shall not see your brother's donkey or his oxfallen down by the way and ignore them. You shall help him to liftthem up again.” There is no qualifier here. It doesn't add thatthis can't be done on the Sabbath day. So, a distinction is madebetween doing work on the Sabbath and doing good on the Sabbath.

Andwhat of your own household? If your household is lacking in somethingon the Sabbath, what are you allowed to do? Is it not doing good toprovide for your household in accordance with 1 Timothy 5:8, whichconsiders anyone not providing for their household to be anon-believer? This passage too, has its basis in Deuteronomy 22:4,which in turn is the basis for Jesus' saying it is good to save yourbrother's sheep on that day. So, as in saving the sheep, things likemaintaining your household should not be seen as doing work for itsown sake, in a sense that you are not doing something primarily formaterial gain, but rather you are doing good in helping those inneed.

Consideringall this, if we go back to the man in Numbers 15:32-36, how do weunderstand God's reason for killing him, to the extent that we canwithout resorting to Proverbs 3:5? Well, there is no indication in Numbers 15:32-36 that the man was gathering sticks to keep his familywarm, or to provide wood for his family to cook with. There isnothing that says anything to that effect. Based on what we know atthis point, we can only guess that the man was gathering sticks onthe Sabbath not to provide for his family or for some needy people,but to merely make a profit off of them. This would constitute work,which is what Exodus 20:9-10 refers to.

Butwhat of those who “go to work” on the Sabbath? Well, would youconsider members of the clergy to be “doing work” on the Sabbathwhen they help their congregations pray? In one sense they may getpaid for doing so, but that would not be their primary motivation.Their primary motivation is to ensure that people see the light ofGod, which is doing good on the Sabbath as opposed to merely working.

Andwhat of lay people who “go to work” on the Sabbath? In arighteous sense, they do so not merely to earn money, but to providefor their households which is also doing good, as opposed to workingfor mere gain. And it should be noted that places like Wall Streettake off on the Sabbath, so those who only work to profit forthemselves will have to wait until the following Monday to “go towork.”

So,how under God, through Jesus, do we keep the Sabbath day holy? We doit by doing good.

Dan_473

Mar 11, 2014
So,how under God, through Jesus, do we keep the Sabbath day holy? We doit by doing good.
I'll agree with that

COLOSSIANS 3:17 And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

Marcelo

Feb 4, 2016
I regard all days, hours, minutes and seconds as holy, even though I am myself still very far from being holy.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
Everypassage in the Old Testament is considered to be the Law.

. . .

So,the responsibility lies with us to abide by this Commandment.
if you consider yourself to be under the Law, what good is it to keep "selected portions" of the Law if you don't keep other commandments, to stone those that blaspheme, to offer animal sacrifices, to bring offerings to the temple in Jerusalem yearly, and to support the Levites with food . . ? ((or do you do all these things?))

perhaps the perspective from which you are looking at this is not right.

Christ came not to abolish the Law, but to fulfill it - amen!

so is it fulfilled in Him or not?
and if we are found in Him . . ?

Last edited:

lastofall

Aug 26, 2014
"Is it lawful to heal on the Sabbath days?" (Matthew 12:10)
"..it is lawful to do well on the sabbath days." (Matthew 12:12)
"The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath." (Mark 2:27)

These are all we need to know about our duty concerning the Sabbath day.

DustyRhodes

Dec 30, 2016
Col.2 do not let people judge you
[SUP]16 [/SUP]Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. [SUP]17 [/SUP]These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ.

Christ of no value
5 It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.
[SUP]2 [/SUP]Mark my words! I, Paul, tell you that if you let yourselves be circumcised, Christ will be of no value to you at all. [SUP]3 [/SUP]Again I declare to every man who lets himself be circumcised that he is obligated to obey the whole law. [SUP]4 [/SUP]You who are trying to be justified by the law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace

It is clear there that the old law lead to death...the final covenant which is Christ says that we now live in the Spirit. So Jesus came to fulfil the law not to abolish the law. So what does that mean? Jesus left us 2 commandments...love the Lord with all your heart and secondly, love your neighbor as yourself. Love fulfils ALL the law. So by fulfilling it, Jesus actually went higher not lower. He too us away from death to eternal life...according to scripture. If anyone stays fast in the old law, Christ is of no value to them.

Hizikyah

Aug 25, 2013
Mattithyah 12:12, "And how much more valuable is a man than a sheep? Therefore, it is Lawful to do righteousness on the Sabbath."

Mark 3:4
And he saith unto them, Is it lawful to do good on the sabbath days, or to do evil? to save life, or to kill? But they held their peace

Mattithyah 24:20, "But pray that your flight will not be in the winter, nor on the Sabbath Day."

Mattithyah 5:18, "For truly I say to you; Unless heaven and earth passes away, one yodh--the smallest of the letters--will in no way pass from the Law, until all things are perfected."

Luke 16:17, "But it is easier for heaven and earth to pass, than one yodh of the Law to fail."

Isayah 56:1-7, "This is what YHWH says: Keep the judgments, and do justly; for My salvation is near, soon, to come, and My righteousness to be revealed. Blessed is the man who does this, and the son of man who lays hold on it; who keeps the Sabbaths without polluting; defiling, them; and keeps his hand from doing any evil. Do not let the son of the Gentile, who has joined himself to YHWH, speak, saying; YHWH has utterly separated me from His people. Nor let the eunuch say; Behold, I am a dry tree. For this is what YHWH says: To the eunuchs who keep My Sabbaths, and choose those things which eplease Me, and hold fast to My covenant: I will give to them, in My House, even within My walls, a place and a Name equal to that of sons and of daughters; I will give them the Name of The Everlasting: YHWH; which will not be cut off. Also the sons of the Gentile who join themselves to YHWH, to serve Him, and to love the Name of YHWH, to be His servants--everyone who keeps the Sabbaths without polluting; defiling, them and who holds fast to My covenant--I will bring them to My holy mountain, and make them joyful in My House of prayer..."

Isayah 58:11-14, "Yahweh will guide you continually, and satisfy your soul in drought, and make fat; (strengthen), your bones. You will be like a watered garden, and like a spring of water, whose waters do not fail. And those of you will rebuild the old waste places; you will raise up the foundations of many generations; and you will be called the Repairer of the Breach, the Restorer of Streets to Dwell In; If you turn away your foot from breaking the Sabbath: from doing your pleasure; your own business, your own pleasure, on My holy day, and call the Sabbath a delight; the holy day of Yahweh honorable, and will honor Him by not doing your own ways, nor finding your own pleasure, nor engaging in aidle conversation: Then you will find your joy in Yahweh; and I will cause you to ride on the high places of the earth, and feed you with the heritage of Yaaqob your father--for the mouth of Yahweh has spoken it."

Jun 1, 2016
​Godcommands us to remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. But how andto what extent is it to be done?

Exodus20:9-10 says, “Six days you shall labor, and do all your work, butthe seventh day is a Sabbath to the LORD your God. On it you shallnot do any work, you, or your son, or your daughter, your maleservant, or your female servant, or your livestock, or the sojournerwho is within your gates.”

Everypassage in the Old Testament is considered to be the Law. It is theLaw that Jesus said he did not come to change, and he says in Matthew5:17-19, “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or theProphets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. Fortruly, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not an iota,not a dot, will pass from the Law until all is accomplished.Therefore whoever relaxes one of the least of these commandments andteaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom ofheaven, but whoever does them and teaches them will be called greatin the kingdom of heaven.”

So,the responsibility lies with us to abide by this Commandment. We haveseen in the Old Testament the consequences of not keeping the Sabbathday holy when in Numbers 15:32-36 a man was caught collecting stickson that day. God told Moses that the man is to be stoned to death. Sothe importance of the Sabbath day lies in understanding what it isand how to act on that day.

Exodus20:9-10 is clear in saying that we are to do no work. But whatconstitutes work? It appears from looking at the Bible as a wholethat work is something that one does for gain. Jesus tells us thatthere are things we can do on the Sabbath, so the inference is thatthey do not constitute such work. Jesus himself healed people in theSabbath. His rationale for doing so is found in Matthew 12:11-12 inwhich he says, “[W]hich one of you who has a sheep, if it fallsinto a pit on the sabbath, will not take hold of it and lift it out?Of how much more value is a man than a sheep! So it is lawful to dogood on the Sabbath.” This has some basis in Deuteronomy 22:4,which says, “You shall not see your brother's donkey or his oxfallen down by the way and ignore them. You shall help him to liftthem up again.” There is no qualifier here. It doesn't add thatthis can't be done on the Sabbath day. So, a distinction is madebetween doing work on the Sabbath and doing good on the Sabbath.

Andwhat of your own household? If your household is lacking in somethingon the Sabbath, what are you allowed to do? Is it not doing good toprovide for your household in accordance with 1 Timothy 5:8, whichconsiders anyone not providing for their household to be anon-believer? This passage too, has its basis in Deuteronomy 22:4,which in turn is the basis for Jesus' saying it is good to save yourbrother's sheep on that day. So, as in saving the sheep, things likemaintaining your household should not be seen as doing work for itsown sake, in a sense that you are not doing something primarily formaterial gain, but rather you are doing good in helping those inneed.

Consideringall this, if we go back to the man in Numbers 15:32-36, how do weunderstand God's reason for killing him, to the extent that we canwithout resorting to Proverbs 3:5? Well, there is no indication in Numbers 15:32-36 that the man was gathering sticks to keep his familywarm, or to provide wood for his family to cook with. There isnothing that says anything to that effect. Based on what we know atthis point, we can only guess that the man was gathering sticks onthe Sabbath not to provide for his family or for some needy people,but to merely make a profit off of them. This would constitute work,which is what Exodus 20:9-10 refers to.

Butwhat of those who “go to work” on the Sabbath? Well, would youconsider members of the clergy to be “doing work” on the Sabbathwhen they help their congregations pray? In one sense they may getpaid for doing so, but that would not be their primary motivation.Their primary motivation is to ensure that people see the light ofGod, which is doing good on the Sabbath as opposed to merely working.

Andwhat of lay people who “go to work” on the Sabbath? In arighteous sense, they do so not merely to earn money, but to providefor their households which is also doing good, as opposed to workingfor mere gain. And it should be noted that places like Wall Streettake off on the Sabbath, so those who only work to profit forthemselves will have to wait until the following Monday to “go towork.”

Everypassage in the Old Testament is considered to be the Law. It is theLaw that Jesus said he did not come to change, and he says in Matthew5:17-19, “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or theProphets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.

deuteronomy 31:24-26 And it came to pass, when Moses had made an end of writing the words of this law in a book, until they were finished, 25That Moses commanded the Levites, which bare the ark of the covenant of the LORD, saying, 26Take this book of the law, and put it in the side of the ark of the covenant of the LORD your God, that it may be there for a witness against thee.

john1:17 "For the law was given BY MOSES, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ."

The Law is what God spoke to moses face to face and then moses would tell the people, then the people would say " tell the lord we will obey His commandments. all of those things at horeb, sinai and from the time the isrealites were delivered, until the death of moses. just before He died moses finished the book of the Law. it is found in the first 5 books of the Bible. That is the fullness of the Law.

the judges then came to enforce and judge by that established Law, and then the prophets came to pronounce the judgements of the Law, and promise the New covenant because the Levite priests defiled the Law and broke the covenant as did the people. the Law commands many things, that would cause a christian to transgress the gospel. Just like the book of the Law was what moses mediated between God and the isrealites, the 4 gospels are what God mediated between Jesus and the people.

the book of hebrews is a constant contrast between old covenant and new. There are 2 Laws in the Bible, there is the mosaic Law, and there is the spiritual Law of perfection. Jesus taught the gospel of the Kingdom of God the way to worship in "spirit and truth"

Luke 4:18 "The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath ANOINTED ME TO PREACH THE GOSPEL to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,"

Luke 4:43 "And he said unto them, I must preach the kingdom of God to other cities also: for therefore am I sent."

This is all explained in the prophets, Jesus brought a new thing, and because the people broke faith the old covenant was broken.

isaiah 42:1-4 "Behold my servant, whom I uphold; mine elect, in whom my soul delighteth; I have put my spirit upon him: he shall bring forth judgment to the GENTILES.2He shall not cry, nor lift up, nor cause his voice to be heard in the street.3A bruised reed shall he not break, and the smoking flax shall he not quench: he shall bring forth judgment unto truth.4He shall not fail nor be discouraged, till he have set judgment in the earth: and the isles shall wait for HIS LAW. ....

isaiah 42:6 "I the LORD have called thee in righteousness, and will hold thine hand, and will keep thee, and give thee for a COVENANT of the people, for a light of the Gentiles;"

Isaiah 42:9 "Behold, the former things are come to pass, and new things do I declare: before they spring forth I tell you of them.<<<

we read in the new testament " Jesus fulfiled the Law" understanding what that means comes fromk all God said He would do through Jesus. all along He was proclaiming that the Christ would fulfill the old thinjgs and usher in the new things. The Law of moses is meant to teach us that Jesus is the fulfillment of prophecy, He is the One the prophets were writing about, and the One the apostles were testifying fulfilled the prophecies of the One God promised to send with salvation. The Law of moses is different than the Gospel.

Locutus

Feb 10, 2017
Col 2:16 (Young's) Let no one, then, judge you in eating or in drinking, or in respect of a feast, or of a new moon, or of sabbaths,

Col 2:17 which are a shadow of the coming things, and the body is of the Christ.

Paul is describing all of Old Covenant Israel's "ordinances" as "shadows" of the realities in Christ that were coming, in Hebrews we are told that those "Old Covenant "shadows" were ready to fade away along with the physical temple that it represented:

Heb 8:13 in the saying 'new,' He hath made the first old, and what doth become obsolete and is old is nigh disappearing.

You can try to keep what is now obsolete, but I do not see the point.

Bearing in mind that all of that system was styled by Paul as the "ministration of death":

2 Co 3:7 and if the ministration of the death, in letters, engraved in stones, came in glory, so that the sons of Israel were not able to look stedfastly to the face of Moses, because of the glory of his face -- which was being made useless.

If anyone can't point out how to "squeeze" life out of the "ministration of death" I'm all ears.

Dec 21, 2012
We are blameless for not keeping the sabbath day because Jesus Christ is in us.

Let's look at Jesus sayings about why His disciples were blameless on gathering the corn on the sabbath day.

Matthew 12:1At that time Jesus went on the sabbath day through the corn; and his disciples were an hungred, and began to pluck the ears of corn and to eat.[SUP]2 [/SUP]But when the Pharisees saw it, they said unto him, Behold, thy disciples do that which is not lawful to do upon the sabbath day.[SUP]3 [/SUP]But he said unto them, Have ye not read what David did, when he was an hungred, and they that were with him;[SUP]4 [/SUP]How he entered into the house of God, and did eat the shewbread, which was not lawful for him to eat, neither for them which were with him, but only for the priests?[SUP]5 [/SUP]Or have ye not read in the law, how that on the sabbath days the priests in the temple profane the sabbath, and are blameless?[SUP]6 [/SUP]But I say unto you, That in this place is one greater than the temple.[SUP]7 [/SUP]But if ye had known what this meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice, ye would not have condemned the guiltless.[SUP]8 [/SUP]For the Son of man is Lord even of the sabbath day.

Jesus had given TWO examples on how saints had DEFILED the sabbath day but they were blameless BECAUSE they were in the Temple. Then Jesus said that in this place where He was speaking, someone greater than the temple was here; meaning Jesus Christ, and that was why His disciples were blameless.

Here's why believers today are blameless for not keeping the sabbath day and thus defiling the sabbath day.

1 Corinthians 6:[SUP]19 [/SUP]What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?[SUP]20 [/SUP]For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

2 Corinthians 13:[SUP]5 [/SUP]Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

As saved believers, our bodies has become the Temple of the Holy Spirit and with Jesus Christ in us and with us always is why every believer is blameless for not keeping the sabbath day or any holy days.

Nov 19, 2016
Col 2:16 (Young's) Let no one, then, judge you in eating or in drinking, or in respect of a feast, or of a new moon, or of sabbaths,

Col 2:17 which are a shadow of the coming things, and the body is of the Christ.

Paul is describing all of Old Covenant Israel's "ordinances" as "shadows" of the realities in Christ that were coming, in Hebrews we are told that those "Old Covenant "shadows" were ready to fade away along with the physical temple that it represented:

Heb 8:13 in the saying 'new,' He hath made the first old, and what doth become obsolete and is old is nigh disappearing.

You can try to keep what is now obsolete, but I do not see the point.

Bearing in mind that all of that system was styled by Paul as the "ministration of death":

2 Co 3:7 and if the ministration of the death, in letters, engraved in stones, came in glory, so that the sons of Israel were not able to look stedfastly to the face of Moses, because of the glory of his face -- which was being made useless.

If anyone can't point out how to "squeeze" life out of the "ministration of death" I'm all ears.
Right,Jesus took the physical ordinances of Israel out of the way,nailing them to His cross,for they were contrary to us,that they did not provide any benefit to spiritual salvation,which Jesus took away all that has no bearing on spiritual salvation,the physical ordinances,and our sins.

Isa 28:10 For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little:
Isa 28:11 For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people.
Isa 28:12 To whom he said, This is the rest wherewith ye may cause the weary to rest; and this is the refreshing: yet they would not hear.

When we receive the Spirit that is our sabbath,and rest,and refreshing,which is spiritual,yet some people would not hear,but say keep the physical sabbath,but Jesus said you do not have to keep it,and do not let any person judge you and say you do have to keep it.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Another Sabbath Thread............well, why not? It's been awhile, and folks have pretty much wore out the "wemmens" thingy lately.....

:)