Kicked out: Green Beret's career ends for his defense of young Afghan rape victim

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
V

Viligant_Warrior

Army kicking out decorated Green Beret who stood up for Afghan rape victim

EXCLUSIVE: The U.S. Army is kicking out a decorated Green Beret after an 11-year Special Forces career, after he got in trouble for shoving an Afghan police commander accused of raping a boy and beating up his mother when she reported the incident.
Sgt. 1st Class Charles Martland is described by many of his teammates as the finest soldier they have ever served alongside.

But his Army career changed course during his second deployment to Afghanistan in 2011. After learning an Afghan boy was raped and his mother beaten, Martland and his team leader confronted a local police commander they had trained, armed and paid with U.S. taxpayer dollars. When the man laughed off the incident, they physically confronted him.
Congressman Duncan Hunter (R-Calif.) has written a strong letter to SecDef Ash Carter expressing disappointment at Martland's dismissal from the Army, and threatening a congressional-level investigation.

Martland and his team leader confronted an Afghan military officer their unit had trained regarding his sexual assault of the boy, and the guy laughed it off. So they physically restrained him, shoved him around, and threatened to report him to local authorities. The soldiers were disciplined following the incident. There's no word on whether the Afghan was investigated, much less arrested or punished.

Martland's personal story is one of high integrity, moral superiority, and dedication to duty. His Army career is marked by his graduation from the U.S. Army Special Forces Qualification Course, one of the U.S. military's toughest training programs, serving as a jumpmaster, combat diver, and sniper.

Why is the Army kicking out this guy? Two words: Political correctness. And one more word: B******T!

Dec 18, 2013
People I know that come back from Afghanistan say this is a pretty common problem over there. Real sad stuff. Cool that this guy stood up to the system though.

I

Is

Congressman Duncan Hunter (R-Calif.) has written a strong letter to SecDef Ash Carter expressing disappointment at Martland's dismissal from the Army, and threatening a congressional-level investigation.

Martland and his team leader confronted an Afghan military officer their unit had trained regarding his sexual assault of the boy, and the guy laughed it off. So they physically restrained him, shoved him around, and threatened to report him to local authorities. The soldiers were disciplined following the incident. There's no word on whether the Afghan was investigated, much less arrested or punished.

Martland's personal story is one of high integrity, moral superiority, and dedication to duty. His Army career is marked by his graduation from the U.S. Army Special Forces Qualification Course, one of the U.S. military's toughest training programs, serving as a jumpmaster, combat diver, and sniper.

Why is the Army kicking out this guy? Two words: Political correctness. And one more word: B******T!
MY husband was in the Army and he said there are some really dis-reputable characters in it, and here you have people trying to do the right thing and they get treated like this. SUCH A SHAME!

S

Siberian_Khatru

I didn't know how to respond to this when reading it 6 hours ago, and I still don't. What a world...

J

jennymae

Now, I dont have all the facts here, but clearly the Afghani authorities has strongarmed the US Army into getting things their way...and I think denial and honor plays a big role here. If the US Army had let this Green Beret stay the Afghanies would be forced into admitting that this incident in fact took place. To the Afghanies this isn't about just that man commiting this, it concerns the entire society, so a lot of people there would be embarassed if this policeman was found guilty. Now, whenever the Green Beret is dismissed, the Afghanies can tell everybody that the Green Beret was nothing but a hoax, and was lying all the time and that their man did nothing wrong. It is all a question of honor...and the Green Beret was the one they could sacrifice to make the Afghanies happy...I'm happy to see that mr Hunter has written a strong letter regarding this shameful story.

Agricola

Dec 10, 2012
Should have known better than to do this to an officer regardless of nationality. I wonder if this Sgt. 1st Class Charles Martland would have done this had it been a superior officer in the US Army. I doubt it.

V

Viligant_Warrior

Should have known better than to do this to an officer regardless of nationality. I wonder if this Sgt. 1st Class Charles Martland would have done this had it been a superior officer in the US Army. I doubt it.
1. An "officer" who would do this kind of thing isn't worthy of the uniform or the respect it demands.

2. Martland's superior officer in the U.S. Army would never have done something like this, but rest assured, if some sick jerk managed to get past all the psychological exams to become an officer, and did something like this, he most definitely would have to face consequences, most likely the "unofficial" ones being far worse than the official ones.