King James vs niv

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Oct 29, 2013
i like the KJV because it makes me feel like i'm at the renaissance festival.

S

savedandhopeful

I hope to own a KJV someday, I think it is wise to have different versions to compare when studying.

ChosenbyHim

Sep 19, 2011
niv is easier. i don't feel like learning another language.

There are many of places in the NIV where it uses words that are harder to understand, where as the King James Bible uses words that are simple to understand.

Oct 29, 2013
the NAS is pretty good too when it comes to clarifying things in the NIV/KJV. also there's no shame in the ESV either.

Nick01

Jul 15, 2013
the NAS is pretty good too when it comes to clarifying things in the NIV/KJV. also there's no shame in the ESV either.
NASB and ESV are both great translations, though can be a little awkward to read, especially allowed. The HCSB is a little closer to the NIV, but I think strikes a better balance between accuracy, completeness and easy reading (it uses the word propitiation instead of atonement. I also like how it prefers Yahweh the 'the LORD' in various places in the OT)

R

Reformedjason

The Kjv is a translation of the Textus Receptus. It is a good translation. We now have much older mss. and we have a greater understanding of the greek language. The new versions are closer to the original autographs. Kjv onlyist say the new translations have changed the text. The text has not changed, the new versions are simply translations of much earlier manuscripts and are closer to the original.

Oct 31, 2011
Every single bible translation has a problem. The only true bible was the one originally written with the understanding of the language at the time it was breathed by God. Word meanings change with times, I hope such as Hebrew hasn't changed as much as our English language has changed.

The KJV was a wonder for its day, the Lord was with those translators. The Lord is eternal, He didn't stop helping translators in 1600.

Dec 21, 2012
There are many of places in the NIV
God promised to preserve His word.

Mark 13:31 Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away. (NIV)

Jesus Christ is God.

Titus 2:13 while we wait for the blessed hope—the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, (NIV)

where it uses words that are harder to understand,
The words of God are perfect.

Psalm 12:6-7 And the words of the LORD are flawless, like silver purified in a crucible, like gold refined seven times. You, LORD, will keep the needy safe and will protect us forever from the wicked, (NIV)

where as the King James Bible uses words that are simple to understand.
Acts 8:30 ... “Do you understand what you are reading?” ... (NIV)

ChosenbyHim

Sep 19, 2011
The Kjv is a translation of the Textus Receptus. It is a good translation. We now have much older mss. and we have a greater understanding of the greek language. The new versions are closer to the original autographs. Kjv onlyist say the new translations have changed the text. The text has not changed, the new versions are simply translations of much earlier manuscripts and are closer to the original.

The new versions are not closer to the "original autographs." The new versions are translated from two of the most corrupted Greek texts out there (Siniaticus and Vaticanus).

And yes the new versions have changed the text. That's an irrefutable fact.

R

Reformedjason

The new versions are not closer to the "original autographs." The new versions are translated from two of the most corrupted Greek texts out there (Siniaticus and Vaticanus).

( makes loud buzzer sound) try again

Nick01

Jul 15, 2013

I invite you to read my previous posts that have already covered this topic, and to add any further evidence of your claims.

But in brief, you'll have to first establish how you think S & V are sufficiently corrupted (without, of course, using the TR as the base, at least without proving that assertion), you'll have to prove that the TR itself wasn't based on corrupted texts.

And on top of all of that, modern translations give reference to the codices for text critical purposes, as they do to other codices and translations, but they are not necessarily translated from them if there are earlier MSS or there are otherwise legitimate circumstances in which another reading is to be prefered. Certainly, I'm sure you could find plenty of places where modern translations do not follow the primary text of either Codex S or V.

Last edited:
K

Kerry

I wanted to come back to this and say, God did not "tell" me not to read the NIV. But, when I read the NIV. I got that feeling, you know, that check in my spirit. Just like when I was reading the book of Enoch. So, I put it down and never picked it up again. I got the same on the living bible.

It's just not for me. I and I tell my children the same thing. But, I also look at this way. Paul said, that some preach the gospel for spite. But, I praise God that the gospel is being preached.

Nick01

Jul 15, 2013
I wanted to come back to this and say, God did not "tell" me not to read the NIV. But, when I read the NIV. I got that feeling, you know, that check in my spirit. Just like when I was reading the book of Enoch. So, I put it down and never picked it up again. I got the same on the living bible.

It's just not for me. I and I tell my children the same thing. But, I also look at this way. Paul said, that some preach the gospel for spite. But, I praise God that the gospel is being preached.
Thanks for the reply. I'm glad we seem to have come to some sort of middle ground, at least. Makes me glad :)

I will say, gut instincts don't always work. I've had gut instincts don't always work out. As John tells us (in the KJV ;) )

1 John 4 said:
Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.
What does 'trying' or 'testing' the spirits look like? I think this is at least part of it...

Acts 17:11 said:
10 And the brethren immediately sent away Paul and Silas by night unto Berea: who coming thither went into the synagogue of the Jews.11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.
12 Therefore many of them believed; also of honourable women which were Greeks, and of men, not a few.
God wants us to test the spirits, and to discern, not only with our feelings, but with readiness of mind, what he is telling us. Give it some thought, and I'm not telling you what to think, but ponder this: could your feeling about the NIV (which you have already said was not God telling you anything) was just a feeling, and could have been wrong? I encourage you to keep discerning and testing :)

But, I also look at this way. Paul said, that some preach the gospel for spite. But, I praise God that the gospel is being preached.

:)

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
You know it might just be me, but does anyone find it kind of pointless and somewhat Idiotic to be arguing about which bible version to read? What exactly is going to be accomplished from this?

D

DragonSlayer

I wouldn't call the word of God trash.

When the Word of God is completely twisted by the evil one, it's not the Word of God anymore, God is made a liar, it's totally against God's Will, and it's a satanic assault against the true Word of God !
Remember what is written at the end of Revelation ?
It's written :

" For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book. " Revelation 22:18-19 ( KJV )

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
When the Word of God is completely twisted by the evil one, it's not the Word of God anymore, God is made a liar, it's totally against God's Will, and it's a satanic assault against the true Word of God !
Remember what is written at the end of Revelation ?
It's written :

" For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book. " Revelation 22:18-19 ( KJV )
Well if you want to go that far then the only TRUE word of God that you so boldly proclaim is the original script made over two thousand years ago. so therefore in that sense ALL versions are as you say satanic for none of them use the exact wordings the original script used. Hope you know greek and Hebrew very well and kind find the orginal text