Kings of today and yesterday

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
J

jaybird88

I have never understood the destructive nature of humanity. But most the big problems are caused by the leaders. Common people dont declare wars, cut pension funds, close schools, send jobs over seas, etc etc.

the wealth, power and influence of the leaders is solely dependent on the masses. Without our labor, hardships and sweat they would be nothing

Its always the same story, same cycle of events, the kings grow more powerfull, more corrupt until eventually the people rebel, overthrow the king, pick a new king and it starts again.
I never thought this was a biblical, Christian or spiritual issue, it was more os a humanity issue. But then I stumbled onto something last night, 1[SUP]st[/SUP] Samuel, the people choose a king. I remember the story the lesson was that the Hebrews wanted a king like the nations rather than our Lord as their king. It was a mistake and I get the lesson. But there is more, our Lord puts conditions on them for following a king:
1 Sam 8, 9-22

9And now, listen to their voice; except that you shall warn them, and tell them the manner of the king who will reign over them.
10And Samuel related all the words of the Lord to the people who asked of him a king.
11And he said, "This will be the manner of the king who will reign over you; he will take your sons, and appoint them to him for his chariots and for his horsemen, and they will run before his chariots.
12And he will appoint them to him commanders of thousands and commanders of fifties, and to plow his plowing and to reap his harvest, and to make his weapons and the equipment for his chariots.
13And he will take your daughters for his perfumers, for cooks, and for bakers.
14And he will take the best of your fields, your vineyards, and your olive trees, and will give them to his slaves.
15And he will tithe your grain crops and your vineyards, and he will give them to his officers and his slaves.
16And he will take your male and female slaves, and your handsomest youths and your asses, and put them to his work.
17And he will tithe your flocks, and you will be slaves to him.
18And you will cry out on that day because of your king, whom you will have chosen for yourselves, and the Lord will not answer you on that day.
19And the people refused to listen to Samuel's voice, and they said, "No, but there shall be a king over
20And also we shall be like all the nations, and our king will judge us, go forth before us and wage our
21And Samuel heard all the words of the people, and he spoke to them in the ears of the Lord.
22And the Lord said to Samuel, "Listen to their voice, and you shall make them a king." And Samuel said to the men of Israel, "Go, every man to his city."

when I read this and the emphasis it put on the “manner in which the king rules” it makes me think of all the kings (of mankind)we have chosen to rule over us

Feb 7, 2015
Everyone who wants to, throws around what weight they can at the level they happen to be stuck on.

Dec 12, 2013
I have never understood the destructive nature of humanity. But most the big problems are caused by the leaders. Common people dont declare wars, cut pension funds, close schools, send jobs over seas, etc etc.

the wealth, power and influence of the leaders is solely dependent on the masses. Without our labor, hardships and sweat they would be nothing

Its always the same story, same cycle of events, the kings grow more powerfull, more corrupt until eventually the people rebel, overthrow the king, pick a new king and it starts again.
I never thought this was a biblical, Christian or spiritual issue, it was more os a humanity issue. But then I stumbled onto something last night, 1[SUP]st[/SUP] Samuel, the people choose a king. I remember the story the lesson was that the Hebrews wanted a king like the nations rather than our Lord as their king. It was a mistake and I get the lesson. But there is more, our Lord puts conditions on them for following a king:
1 Sam 8, 9-22

9And now, listen to their voice; except that you shall warn them, and tell them the manner of the king who will reign over them.
10And Samuel related all the words of the Lord to the people who asked of him a king.
11And he said, "This will be the manner of the king who will reign over you; he will take your sons, and appoint them to him for his chariots and for his horsemen, and they will run before his chariots.
12And he will appoint them to him commanders of thousands and commanders of fifties, and to plow his plowing and to reap his harvest, and to make his weapons and the equipment for his chariots.
14And he will take the best of your fields, your vineyards, and your olive trees, and will give them to his slaves.
15And he will tithe your grain crops and your vineyards, and he will give them to his officers and his slaves.
16And he will take your male and female slaves, and your handsomest youths and your asses, and put them to his work.
18And you will cry out on that day because of your king, whom you will have chosen for yourselves, and the Lord will not answer you on that day.
19And the people refused to listen to Samuel's voice, and they said, "No, but there shall be a king over
20And also we shall be like all the nations, and our king will judge us, go forth before us and wage our
21And Samuel heard all the words of the people, and he spoke to them in the ears of the Lord.
22And the Lord said to Samuel, "Listen to their voice, and you shall make them a king." And Samuel said to the men of Israel, "Go, every man to his city."

when I read this and the emphasis it put on the “manner in which the king rules” it makes me think of all the kings (of mankind)we have chosen to rule over us

I want to add.....

Satan told Jesus that if he would bow down and worship Satan he would give Jesus the kingdoms of the world and the glory of the kingdoms of the world....and Hell/Evil/Satan is spoken of as raising all the chief ones of the earth.....Israel wanted a King like the other nations and in so doing rejected the theocracy of the rule of God....unfortunately some rulers gain power by force, money, a coup and or election.....man was always meant to live under the authority of God in a Theocracy.........it has been rejected lock, stock and barrel by humanity.....

G

Galahad

1 Sam 8, 9-22

The same attitude exist today. Israel longed for a king but only for the sake of "we have a king." Numerous are the voters today who care little about the ideology, the beliefs of candidates. George H.W. Bush lost his reelection to Clinton. The ignorance was thick, deep, and wide. "Eight years of Reagan, four years of his VP...it's just time for a change." Never mind the facts. Just someone different.

Rulers never feel the brunt nor carry the burdens of their policies, rules, and laws. Never. Never. Never.

So thankful for our King! King of kings and Lord of lords. King Eternal. He is Savior. Lord God Almighty. Lived among sinners. Carried His cross. Then laid down His life for us.

A

atwhatcost

1 Sam 8, 9-22

I suspect this is more of a political post than a Bible discussion. Pretty bad when I can pinpoint which political party you belong to by your opening statement, but can't figure out which denom/nondenom you're in from the rest.

The government doesn't rape, mug, murder, riot, bully (well, okay, they do, a bit lol), lynch, rob at gun/knife point, fornicate, harass, use, or abuse people quite like people can.

Gen. 6:5 And God saw that the wickedness of man was great on the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.

They're just the people we get to choose from when we vote.

J

jaybird88

The same attitude exist today. Israel longed for a king but only for the sake of "we have a king." Numerous are the voters today who care little about the ideology, the beliefs of candidates. George H.W. Bush lost his reelection to Clinton. The ignorance was thick, deep, and wide. "Eight years of Reagan, four years of his VP...it's just time for a change." Never mind the facts. Just someone different.

Rulers never feel the brunt nor carry the burdens of their policies, rules, and laws. Never. Never. Never.

So thankful for our King! King of kings and Lord of lords. King Eternal. He is Savior. Lord God Almighty. Lived among sinners. Carried His cross. Then laid down His life for us.
i agree with you. i like history and have studied it all my life. i never understood why its so hard to find good leaders in history, leaders that had no shame in sharing a days labor with the common man. the few that did rise up were shortlived and swiftly replaced.
our Lord is everywhere, not just our bibles. and i think He is sending us a message in our history. whats what i see anyway.

G

Galahad

Yes. And His message comes in loud and clear. You reap what you sow. This nation has sown corruption, it will reap corruption.
The USA exists because of God. It is fallen because it has abandoned God.

History is the best. Cyclical. Repeats itself. Don't need to be a prophet of God to know what's ahead.

J

jaybird88

I suspect this is more of a political post than a Bible discussion. Pretty bad when I can pinpoint which political party you belong to by your opening statement, but can't figure out which denom/nondenom you're in from the rest.
i will be happy to tell just keep those teddy bears at a distance!

i was taught to vote democrat, why? because thats what working southern folks do. then one day i realize i am voting not for people but for parties. dem/rep labels are nothing but a distraction from what the individual stands for. i care nothing of parties and believe they are both full of corruption.
i was born Baptist and a member of a missionary Baptist. again, just a label and i rarely think of myself as baptist, just a Christian, i think that is good enough.

The government doesn't rape, mug, murder, riot, bully (well, okay, they do, a bit lol), lynch, rob at gun/knife point, fornicate, harass, use, or abuse people quite like people can.

the leaders could easily lead the masses not to do these things. back when we had better schools, less work hours, more family time, more community involvement these issues were not as bad, but todays world is busy busy busy and on the verge of meltdowns. everyone is medicated, why? because every other commercial is a drug commercial misleading people all will be good if they buy the drugs.

They're just the people we get to choose from when we vote.
we get to vote but who decides our choices? if your choices are garbage and more garbage the end result will always be garbage

Gen. 6:5 And God saw that the wickedness of man was great on the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.
i agree with you. if i was the leader i probably could not fix the problems, i would only make a mess of things. this is not about we are right and they are wrong, its more about the current system, mankind leading mankind, is not working. we need new leadership from above not from among us.

J

JesusistheChrist

"The wicked walk on every side, when the vilest men are exalted." (Psalm 12:8)

A

atwhatcost

i will be happy to tell just keep those teddy bears at a distance!

i was taught to vote democrat, why? because thats what working southern folks do. then one day i realize i am voting not for people but for parties. dem/rep labels are nothing but a distraction from what the individual stands for. i care nothing of parties and believe they are both full of corruption.
i was born Baptist and a member of a missionary Baptist. again, just a label and i rarely think of myself as baptist, just a Christian, i think that is good enough.

the leaders could easily lead the masses not to do these things. back when we had better schools, less work hours, more family time, more community involvement these issues were not as bad, but todays world is busy busy busy and on the verge of meltdowns. everyone is medicated, why? because every other commercial is a drug commercial misleading people all will be good if they buy the drugs.

we get to vote but who decides our choices? if your choices are garbage and more garbage the end result will always be garbage

i agree with you. if i was the leader i probably could not fix the problems, i would only make a mess of things. this is not about we are right and they are wrong, its more about the current system, mankind leading mankind, is not working. we need new leadership from above not from among us.
Been tried, more than once. Matter of fact, that is the lesson of the OT. When Man tries we still fail. That's not just the lesson about kings. It's the lesson about Adam and Eve, Babel, Noah, all the patriarchs, all the people of the OT. Thus Christ on the cross. The only treaty ever made between God and God and the only one that ever truly work, because Man was not involved. Man is incapable, thus we rely on God. And Man is incapable with government too. Geneva was created as a theocracy. Half the colonies in the New World were theocracies. (Witch trials are always the end result of Man thinking he's building a theocracy.) Really didn't work. We're just as incapable of following God as we were back when God gave the Israelites a king. So we seek God and let him figure out the politics.

And, I'm very political minded. I just know that's not where my hope lands.