Know Your Value:

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
G

George0115

hmm joke is lost on me...

I was reading a devotional on how God values you. Because you are special (as in unique, not weird or 'retarded') and doesnt matter how rich or poor you are ....or whther you male, female, black, white or grey. God rates you. He has no favourites.
The word retarded is a very offensive word. People shouldn't say that word. That's awful to say. Like a lot of words we don't say anymore, I don't think that we should be using that one either. The proper term is "mentally challenged".

Karlon

Mar 8, 2023
The word retarded is a very offensive word. People shouldn't say that word. That's awful to say. Like a lot of words we don't say anymore, I don't think that we should be using that one either. The proper term is "mentally challenged".
in the beginning it wasn't . society has slowly interpreted the meaning to what most people view it as today. i remember when today's meaning didn't even exist. it's the softness of society altering the meaning of words. another words, society has sissified!. clint eastwood once said, 'we've become a nation of sissies".

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
sisters are doing it for themselves.

brothers can just carry on being brothers, we sisters would prefer you not to copy us.

G

George0115

in the beginning it wasn't . society has slowly interpreted the meaning to what most people view it as today. i remember when today's meaning didn't even exist. it's the softness of society altering the meaning of words. another words, society has sissified!. clint eastwood once said, 'we've become a nation of sissies".
Your ok with using that word? If I came in here saying the N word or calling gays the F word. I would have people all over me, and rightfully so. I'm no snowflake, but there certain words you shouldn't say. If people are ok with using that word, I'm not sure what to say. It doesn't say to much about them.

T

TheWriter

Would be great to stick to topic 🙃

please do not fuel another person’s insecurities when she talks I can’t see it unless I hit view ignored content.

please know, there are reasons for that too.

Karlon

Mar 8, 2023
if mentally challenged is the proper term, then why did its use only become popular in the 80's? as society morphed into less discipline, "retarded" became a bad word or offensive term.

G

George0115

if mentally challenged is the proper term, then why did its use only become popular in the 80's? as society morphed into less discipline, "retarded" became a bad word or offensive term.
I guess you're fine with using that word. I hate to know what other words you think are ok to still use. Some Christian.

Karlon

Mar 8, 2023
Your ok with using that word? If I came in here saying the N word or calling gays the F word. I would have people all over me, and rightfully so. I'm no snowflake, but there certain words you shouldn't say. If people are ok with using that word, I'm not sure what to say. It doesn't say to much about them.
ask any older person how the word retarded was used back decades ago. it was much more tolerated & accepted NOT in a derisive way. & know that up until around the early 80's, people could withstand correction, reprimands, & being berated much better than today. i was in the care of the elderly & handicapped for 37 years so i know the proper terms to use. my point is that since society became less disciplined words have taken on new "unofficial" meanings. look at lawsuits: you can sue someone if they called you a derogatory term. the Bible says: "sue no man". discussing this with you friendly not arguementively. blessings to you.

G

George0115

ask any older person how the word retarded was used back decades ago. it was much more tolerated & accepted NOT in a derisive way. & know that up until around the early 80's, people could withstand correction, reprimands, & being berated much better than today. i was in the care of the elderly & handicapped for 37 years so i know the proper terms to use. my point is that since society became less disciplined words have taken on new "unofficial" meanings. look at lawsuits: you can sue someone if they called you a derogatory term. the Bible says: "sue no man". discussing this with you friendly not arguementively. blessings to you.
I'm done with you.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
I was around back then, and I have to disagree with you. Kids on the playground would call each other a retard as an insult.

Of course... All the things you said could also be applied to a certain word starting with N.

However, even if all that was not true, there is still the point that language changes. If you are happy today you will not say you are gay. Neither will you pick up a bundle of sticks and call it a faggot.

In the spirit of not letting our good be evil spoken of, it behooves us to alter our habits to fit local customs. When in Rome you don't insist on doing something the Romans consider rude.

T

TheWriter

I was around back then, and I have to disagree with you. Kids on the playground would call each other a retard as an insult.

Of course... All the things you said could also be applied to a certain word starting with N.

However, even if all that was not true, there is still the point that language changes. If you are happy today you will not say you are gay. Neither will you pick up a bundle of sticks and call it a faggot.

In the spirit of not letting our good be evil spoken of, it behooves us to alter our habits to fit local customs. When in Rome you don't insist on doing something the Romans consider rude.
Amen brother, continue on the path God set you on. God Bless

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
It just meant delayed like 'late bloomer' or immature.

It wasnt meant to be derogatory, I think some people then used it mean spiritedly like they would also say 'special' in a mean way. . Anyway depends on how you use it and whether its meant be offensive.

Like some people cant handle the word 'f' word...'fat'. I supoose you could use other words, like plump, big-boned, curvaceous, voluptuous, cuddly, volumetrically challenged....

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Its strange people seem to now use colours to describe people, even though the colours dont actually match their true skin colour

eg 'black' and 'white' people.

I dont hear about 'grey' people or 'pink' people...

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
what is the proper term for everyone then

'child of God' 'Christians' '
unbelievers', people used to say heathens or pagans. Catholics would call other christians 'protestants' even when they werent protesting anything.

People assigned a value to what they called 'others' I suppose and described them that way.

I would just say for children 'little people' thats what chinese literally call children. But then I dont know what their word is for 'midget'.

Karlon

Mar 8, 2023

it depends on the area anyone lived in. many styles, traditions & ways are territorial. that's what it was around here. your "kids on the playground" statement is what i mean: back then, you called someone a retard in derision or if the term was to describe someone challenged, it was more acceptable as nothing wrong with using the term!

T

TheWriter

what is the proper term for everyone then

'child of God' 'Christians' '
unbelievers', people used to say heathens or pagans. Catholics would call other christians 'protestants' even when they werent protesting anything.

People assigned a value to what they called 'others' I suppose and described them that way.

I would just say for children 'little people' thats what chinese literally call children. But then I dont know what their word is for 'midget'.
I just want to put this out there within understanding from my point of view.

Yes, you are from another country, another part of the world. I give you that..

Thing is, as people from different parts of the world things can really get messed up and misunderstood.

I never know, you may have had the best intention by saying what you had. I could very well had taken it the wrong way.

I see you are trying to state some important things. However I only said what I said because you always say what they say. However, we should never worry what the world says except for what God says.

He says to forgive, so you can be forgiven.

I am willing to start fresh with you because harboring un-forgiveness will only cause me problems.

I am a man who is willing to admit where I am wrong. Therefore, I admit it instead of trying to understand where you were coming from I was taking everything to heart. That, is my own fault.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Now worries Writer sometimes emojis can do the writing for us. ;)

Moses_Young

Sep 15, 2019

Different regions can assign different meanings to the same words.
smoking.jpg