Labelling people heretics

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
D

Donkeyfish07

..........uh, ok, and WHO exactly determines what these "central doctrines" are, and where are they published?
I would have asked the same thing but you beat me to it, lol. Sadly....very few agreements are made on even what "central doctrine" is. Many denominations have "central doctrine" that is contrary to another denomination's "central doctrine"

D

danschance

I would have asked the same thing but you beat me to it, lol. Sadly....very few agreements are made on even what "central doctrine" is. Many denominations have "central doctrine" that is contrary to another denomination's "central doctrine"
Donkeyfish, I disagree. The vast majority of Christians believe the bible to be God's word, the trinity, salvation by grace and many other central doctrines. They tend to differ on minor things such as what age to baptize. Not to mention Christians sites get all of satan's wackos too, and many are complete heretics.

D

Donkeyfish07

Donkeyfish, I disagree. The vast majority of Christians believe the bible to be God's word, the trinity, salvation by grace and many other central doctrines. They tend to differ on minor things such as what age to baptize. Not to mention Christians sites get all of satan's wackos too, and many are complete heretics.
I can respect that point of view, but I guess it really depends on how in-depth/detailed you want to define "central doctrine". There's a gigantic percentage that doesn't even believe the trinity doctrine. As many would consider it "central doctrine", there's plenty of division just on that alone. We all agree that without Christ, we would be lost and that he is our Lord and Savior. Even the Catholics believe that. I would agree that most of us believe salvation by Grace as well. It seems to me that anything after that though, it's a theological free for all.

Agricola

Dec 10, 2012
It is an ugly cancer which has taken hold of many Christians which compels them to label others as false teachers, wolves in sheep clothing and of course heretic, simply because they hold a slightly different interpretation to something as trival as timing of rapture.

DUring this finger pointing, the real cults, heretics and wolves are missed.

D

danschance

I can respect that point of view, but I guess it really depends on how in-depth/detailed you want to define "central doctrine". There's a gigantic percentage that doesn't even believe the trinity doctrine. As many would consider it "central doctrine", there's plenty of division just on that alone. We all agree that without Christ, we would be lost and that he is our Lord and Savior. Even the Catholics believe that. I would agree that most of us believe salvation by Grace as well. It seems to me that anything after that though, it's a theological free for all.
Hank Hanegraaf of the bible answer man show and head of Christian Research Institute, defines that as "orthodox teachings of the historic Christian faith being derived from the Bible and confirmed through the ancient ecumenical creeds." If you believe otherwise, you have a problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

john832

May 31, 2013
Heresy is holding an opinion that is not part of the central doctrines common to all of the Church. Apostasy is to hold a belief that is incompatible and denies the necessary core doctrines of Christianity.
I would add 'common to Bible believers'.
I would say that heresy is holding doctrine that is not Biblically sound. I really don't care what the "church" thinks.

Aug 15, 2009
Heretics (false teachers, false prophets) can be defined biblically, as some have indicated, but they can also show a pattern of behavior in general that gives them away. I've seen this in church as well as on this site. This is not a complete list, but should be enough to give us a good idea of what they do.

1. They join a group & fit in as quickly as possible. Here that may be posting everyhere or starting multitudes of threads to build a rep.
2. They build heavily on popularity. They agree with & make as many friends as possible. This is their power base.
3. During their "buildup" they are agreeable with most basic doctrines to root themselves within a group.
4. Once they get rooted & build their powerbase, they then branch out a little at a time with their heresy, intertwining it with the general core doctrines. They "feel out the crowd" to see when they should make their opportune moves.
5. They will promote their heresy through their new friends, making it difficult to trace it back to them. This way, the people polarize (take sides) & division begins. The heretic will urge them on & pump them up so he can "use" them. He will make his best servant look like the leader of the group so he can back away if those in authority make a quick move to squash the heresy.
6. The heretic himself is a coward, only making his moves when enough people take up for him & protect him.
7. When enough people is on the heretic's side, they will leave with them.

Satan steals, kills, & destroys. That's always the end result of the heretic. That's why we are to reject them at the first & second admonition. Even a suspected heretic need to be questioned immediately, because their feet are swift to destruction.
Questioning someone doesn't cause damage when done in love.... & remember, their fruits will give them away.:)