Law excuses sin for Christians?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
W

webchatter

Sorry I have to ask questions as a thread here, because i find no definitions, which would be difficult since there are so many denominations. I've noticed many threads here discussing the law/works/sin concepts.
I believe that anyone who is saved, NATURALLY follows the law, & even if tempted to violate the law, does not because they know it would offend our Lord God. I believe that after a while has passed being saved, one really isn't hardly even tempted to break the law.
Is discussing the following of the law or not, an excuse to continually sin as a Christian?
If so, I'd like to know what kind of sins Christians are committing? Thanks.

W

webchatter

P.S.- Oh & I agree that TECHNICLY we are not under the law.

Jul 12, 2012
I believe that anyone who is saved, NATURALLY follows the law, & even if tempted to violate the law, does not because they know it would offend our Lord God. I believe that after a while has passed being saved, one really isn't hardly even tempted to break the law.
I believe that's about as plain as it gets.
Though, in my experience, I believe the fear of offending God subsides somewhat due to newfound "grace conscious" exposure to Him, and turns into a focus on causing no intentional harm in general.
And by "grace" I do not mean "mercy". By "grace" I mean "feeling God's approval."
Saved by grace: You're never really saved in your own opinion until you feel God's approval are you?
And subsequently, though always mindful of it, you no longer "fear", except that your fear is clean, mindful of the power, but not afraid of the smack in the face, because He knows you are trying, and occasionally conquering.

Is discussing the following of the law or not, an excuse to continually sin as a Christian?
To the degree and in the manner that it is currently discussed, often I would say.

W

webchatter

Thank you for the explanation. It looks that way, I really thought I must be misinterpreting it.

E

eternally-gratefull

Sorry I have to ask questions as a thread here, because i find no definitions, which would be difficult since there are so many denominations. I've noticed many threads here discussing the law/works/sin concepts.
The law does not give us an excuse to sin continually. It exposes our sin, and shows us we are still sinning, and helps to keep our eyes focused on Christ, who is our only redeemer.

I have never heard anyone say the law gives us an excuse to sin, not sure where this came from.

Jon4TheCross

Oct 19, 2012
If we are aware that we have access to the holy of holies, then we are of the everlasting priesthood, and do naturally grow in fulfilling by the power of God the eternal and never changing law of the everlasting priesthood. The laws of the Levitical priesthood were there partly to show us and teach us the everlasting law. God knows how to teach no doubt.

King James Version 1 Thessalonians 2:7 7 But we were gentle among you, even as a nurse cherisheth her children:

I believe we are talking about the eternal law, and I also agree that the law encourages and promotes love, unity, equality, no respect of persons, the fruits of The Spirit, etc. I do not see how someone who is active in working in this everlasting priesthood can ignore the eternal law and follow Jesus, the perfect example of an inner/outer high priest, both perfect in the inner man and outer man. When we are born again we are perfect by measure in the inner man, and the law is there partly to increase our understanding of perfection in the outer man by measure. I love the law of God; it's perfect and something I continually try to conform my outer and inner man to by following Jesus and watching Him.

tribesman

Oct 13, 2011
...I believe that anyone who is saved, NATURALLY follows the law, & even if tempted to violate the law, does not because they know it would offend our Lord God. I believe that after a while has passed being saved, one really isn't hardly even tempted to break the law...I'd like to know what kind of sins Christians are committing?
Do you follow the law? All of it (and of course "all of it" means what it says)? Or are you just picking and choosing from the law what you consider "moral"?

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
Well I admit I fall into temptation and I sometimes lie even though I try not too, But if people who say those who willingly sin are not truly of christ then why am i so close to him???

zone

Jun 13, 2010
Well I admit I fall into temptation and I sometimes lie even though I try not too, But if people who say those who willingly sin are not truly of christ then why am i so close to him???
because He doesn't listen to those who hide their sin.
He is close to those who admit their faults.
those who know they need Him.

Aug 15, 2009
because He doesn't listen to those who hide their sin.
He is close to those who admit their faults.
those who know they need Him.
Did I just agree with zone? ewwwwww! :D

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
Well I believe if pople hearts connect with the fathers there will be a change goin on inside them. They want to change everything that isn't him. Like me, I despise how no matter how hard I try I judge others by their looks. And it disgusts me when My sour side pops its ugly head because i know this is not who jesus is so neither will i be. But hey all i can do is try right now, and anyone who is willing to admit they have faults and wants to be changed can join my club. Its a very poular club called Need of change Program. LOL Ya i wish....

P

psychomom

Well I believe if pople hearts connect with the fathers there will be a change goin on inside them. They want to change everything that isn't him. Like me, I despise how no matter how hard I try I judge others by their looks. And it disgusts me when My sour side pops its ugly head because i know this is not who jesus is so neither will i be. But hey all i can do is try right now, and anyone who is willing to admit they have faults and wants to be changed can join my club. Its a very poular club called Need of change Program. LOL Ya i wish....
The change comes from God.
The desire to do good comes from God.
The disgust comes from God.
The 'trying' comes from God.

And I think it is a pretty popular club. :)
After all, He promised He would do those things in the believers.

I heard someone once who called being born again 'a spiritual heart transplant'.
(ikr? that's awesome!)

Sometimes we are more resistant to change than others.
And lots of times we don't even see the need to change something.
I think if we actually saw how ugly our flesh is all at once, it would be overwhelming.
So God is patient with us (♥) and brings up one thing at a time, generally.

We have this (among lots of other good stuff) going for us:

1 Whoever believes that Jesus is the Christ is born of God, and whoever loves the Father loves the child born of Him.
2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and observe His commandments.
3 For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments; and His commandments are not burdensome.
4 For whatever is born of God overcomes the world; and this is the victory that has overcome the world—our faith.
5 Who is the one who overcomes the world, but he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God? (1 John 5:1-5)

:)

T

Tintin

God's Law helps us realise we are inherently sinful and that we can't save ourselves. God's grace provides hope and forgiveness. He restores us and gives us new life - which is completed only when Jesus returns. We need both Law and Grace but we live under the New Covenant which is fulfilled in Christ Jesus.

P

Powemm

Because of the fall of Adam and eve, we were all born into sin..
Eternally separated from God... brought here to work that sin "out"
Coming into a relationship with Jesus is a choice .. The only way by wich, allows us to go before the throne of God..
While here on this earth " sin" is in us...Jesus being in us transforms the "flesh" into His image... Breaking down the flesh and it's sin becomes life "food" for the spirit..
spirit ...
the acceptance of Jesus into our lives "is" the bridge Wich is laid down for us to cross over to the throne of God to ask fir forgiveness and lay down our sin before Him " in Jesus christs name"

Sin is a bought into lie.... a false belief ... God did not put sin in us... Our failure to "believe God" has left is darkened... Straying... Away from Him into sin...

It is written: I am the vine, you are the branch... You CAN NOT. be separated from me"
What happens when a branch is separated from a tree? Does it die quickly or slowly? the same is for us, separated fro
god...

Much of the law built into many people "by religion" is false... We have already been forgiven , there is nothing to do but build your relationship with God... A personal one on one "with God"! There are those with knowledge of God, but have no personal relationship with Him... Going to church is like going to a hospital ... the sick taking care of the sick , when God tells us " I am the great counselor, Healer, physician , friend..I AM! Come directly to Me! It is
Also written::: approach my throne with boldness and confidence that what needed to be done has already been done for you!! "IT IS FINISHED!"

The only thing we are instructed to do is in the first commandment .... Our part .... " love the Lord thy God with ALL your heart, ALLYour soul.. And ALL your mind
Be transformed by the "" renewing of your mind". God is saying here... Simply believe "Me"... And "I" will transform you!

Remember...There is freedom in Christ ...
Lonely? Loneliness Appears in our lives when we have bought into a lie..
a lie that someone or something can live is more than God can..

Stressed or anxious? These symptoms appear when we have bought into a lie that we can do things without asking God " are you bringing this to me? So Manu tomes we run out and grab things up without ever letting God "bring it" to us... This is works and will tire you out.. But god says .. You wanted it without letting me bring it to you , Soooo you will carry the weight of it .. I will let it stress you.. furthermore we sometimes believe or forget we don't have to ask for Gods help...it is written : " you can do "NOTHING" without me ..

Are you afraid of something? Fear is also a symptom that shows up when we believe something or someone is in more control then God is ... We mist remeber the truth ... God is always in control... He spoke the world into existence! Of course He's in control ....

Angry? Another symptom that shows up when we have bought into a lie that we do not have to release Gods love, mercy or forgiveness... Anger of wring things being dine to us is also a sign we might not have been told to go to a particular destination or person by God in the first place.. And need to move closer to God and gurther away from something in Wich is dragging us away from Him .... follow God and you are set "free "to live in peace, joy and happiness in Christ

In Christ we are free! always

T

Tintin

Excellent post but there is also righteous anger at the injustices of the world (sin seeming to prevail etc.) That's a holy anger and one of God. Typically though, as sinful humans we use anger for selfish reasons, to hurt others who've hurt us.
Both the 1st and the 2nd commandments are most important. Love God and put him first and love people and put them second.

Feb 11, 2012
Don't fret over what sins Christians are committing, open your eyes, turn on the news, or just visit your local lukewarm church, and see the abominations which are being committed before God!

Wilful rebellion towards God(sin) leads to death!

Wake up!

Romans 13:12 The night is far spent, the day is at hand; therefore let us cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armor of light.
Many who profess Christ as their savior today, are asleep to the works of darkness, they have fallen into complacency and are oblivious to the evil that lurks all around them. Their consciences have become seared and closed to any truth that could set them free from their bondage's to the darkness and lies coming out in droves from the professing Christian world.
Casting off the works of darkness, isn't possible in their minds, because they have been taught sin is a calamity and not a crime against God, they play around with sin and temptation, fast asleep to its hardening effects on their hearts.
Romans 1:18 For the wrath of God is revealed from Heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness,
Romans 1:19 because the thing which may be known of God is clearly revealed within them, for God revealed it to them.
Yes, the sad fact is that many suppress the truth in unrighteousness by teaching one can remain in their vile sins and still make it into heaven, no questions asked, the provision has been made for them, and all is well, even though the word of God wholeheartedly refutes every argument they have to defend their saved in sin gospel, or be abandoned by the system they know and love!
Putting on the armor of light,(armor of God) is only accepted as provisional today, it’s a nice suggestion, and good to do, but in reality, since they were saved IN their sins, then this would void and nullify the power of God and Christ to keep one far away from any sins that would disqualify them from the kingdom.
Instead they remain, asleep to the truth, that will set them free if they would only wake up, from their slumber, repent as the city of Nineveh did, not assuming anything from God, and hoping they will be granted mercy for their disobedience and rebellion.
The gospel according to godliness is rendered powerless and is nonsense to them, who love the lie over the truth!
Romans 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God unto salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.
The power of God goes out to those who believe(obey and follow Christ on the narrow road, Luke 9:23) this power is then given to those who come to the end of self as the prodigal son did in the pig pen, fall to their knees in humble repentance and faith, through godly sorrow that cleanses and purges the old defiled heart clean and pure of sin and worldliness, being crucified with Christ, Galatians 2:20, and then remaining awake and alert, working their salvation out daily with fear and trembling.
The church is asleep I am afraid, alive to sin, and dead to an obedient faith that can save their souls, because they have bought into the great lie that has and will lead many into perdition, that claims you will surely not die, but in reality you will die IF you do not WAKE UP! And come out of the system of great errors, through the clearing that will only come from real repentance and faith, proven by deeds. Acts 20; 21.
To wake up is to stop playing church, dig deep for the truth, flee from the wrath to come by coming to a saving faith of repentance, and an obedient faith proven by deeds, it’s that simple, no gimmicks, no fancy plans, and no fluff, just a simple message that has been lost in translation during the reformed era, that took the pure gospel, and added and subtracted from it to make it another gospel being taught as truth today! Seek the truth immediately, and you will be richly rewarded!
Hebrews 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.
How many today are diligently seeking Him? How many today are willing to wake up, and compare the huge difference between what is being taught today as truth, and what the gospel according to godliness actually teaches? Not many as I am finding out. Wont you just step aside from your worldly concerns and entertainments for a bit, and seek truth at all cost, making it a high priority for you and your family’s life, remaining diligent and sober minded, and standing firmly against the onslaught of lies pouring out of the seminaries, colleges, and churches that are teaching a false gospel, keeping many in slumber, and unable to wake up!
Tommy

T

Tintin

Tommy, just curious because I'm new. Do you always type a quick comment and then a huge amount of related Bible verses and then just bow out of the discussion? Because that's not the function of a discussion board. The key word here is 'discussion'. Your method comes across as a bit intense and not very personal. Just something to consider. Thanks. Be blessed, brother.

P

Powemm

I agree completely about righteous anger .... That "nipping at the heals "so to speak, Wich makes us stop and think of the direction we're going in ...
Asking ourselves and each other a viable question in the face of it...
" is what I'm doing or following , bringing me closer to God or trying to drag me away from Him".
great question...for self examination in our relationship in Christ .... It should be just as such, a " growing " in Christ .

S

StGiles

Webchatter

" I'd like to know what kind of sins Christians are committing?"

I would define (1) SIN and (2) KEEPING WITHIN THE LAW as being very different

(1) SIN something each and every Christian will do every day: At some point during each day we will feel, say or do something that is UnGodly and sinful, by the very fact of being a son or daughter of Adam and Eve or very nature is a sinful one.
We may be a little envious of someone even for a moment.
We may not give to someone who needs more than we do.
We may Judge another for what they do.
Name One person who has never sinned and you will only be able to answer with a single name no matter who we are.

(2) KEEPING WITHIN THE LAW

The law is something set by the law makers of lands to guide each society, (what may be within the law may well be a sin)
likewise something that could violate a law may be so as not to sin.
it is difficult as a Christian sometimes to know the difference in this

The keeping within the law become more complicated when living as a Christian in a country where Christian principal is not the basis for the law of the land.