let's be real

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
O

OddOne

Hey Guys!!

So I was watching teen mom and all these people have issues based around the fact that they had sexual intercourse, conceived a child and they are still teens. Some have to drop out of high school and get a job to support their child. Their youth is destroyed becuase they did not want to wait.

Sex has been made commercialized, dirty even. God created it for a husband and wife to become one. Its meant to be a beautiful thing.

Okay fine, if that's not going to convince you to wait... Then are you willing to suffer the consequences of potentially getting pregnant or contracting an STI or STD...

I guess my point or question is WHY... Why can't we wait for marriage if the possible risks of doing it before hand are waaaay toooo high?

I go to a really good school yet there are girls still getting pregnant... Well educated people. They can't even use the excuse of "I didn't know."

Please do not get me wrong: I am in no way condemning those who have had sexual intercourse outside of marriage. Its just one of those things that nags at me.

AAAPlus

Aug 2, 2011
I see what you're saying. What it comes down to is that they just don't know. Their wholes lives, people have been told/shown that sex is casual and fun. They haven't seen what it really looks like to have sex be that sanctified marriage-bond between two people.

People are often a product of their circumstances. I used to believe that God wasn't real because the only thing I'd ever been told was that God wasn't real.

The devil is real and works in very crafty and persuasive ways. He tricks people into believing that their pre-marital sex isn't hurting them, and so when they learn that God wants them to stop, they dismiss the idea of God by association. The devil took something beautiful created by God and uses it as a way to keep people away from God.

N

Nuns_n_roses

I maintain that society becomes more and more overtly sexual, yet gender roles have changed. Women must work alongside their men and have career goals. Society portrays women who want to settle down and be a housewife as unmotivated or not driven. I had a friend that felt ashamed for wanting a traditional role because of how society has portrayed her since the Feminist movement. Please don't misunderstand, I do not discourage Feminism, but I feel being a homemaker is the most honorable profession of all and this requires someone to help her with the load financially otherwise you'll get "latchkey" kids.

However, more and more is expected of women (career, college, etc) and we are marrying later and later. In an age of technology we are being so socially stunted that men never ask out ladies anymore. This makes people impatient and at a loss for their role.

If you think about it, God's plan was very beneficial to society. Everyone had their allotted roles so nobody had to take it all on alone... they would have a spouse to help them if they had children. After all, it takes a village to raise a child!

Well I seem to have ranted mindlessly again (and all this from a Feminist!) but I hope I made some valid arguments in their somewhere... :confused:

Z

zaoman32

I think it was c.s. Lewis who wrote about society viewing sex as something like hunger. When your hungry, you eat and it satisfies the craving. Society views sex in the same way, sufficient your sexual appetite is the only logical solution. Lewis pointed out though, if the case was that simple societies obsession with sex should be sufficed and diluted, however the more we encourage sex, the greater the desire becomes and the more carnal our desires. It's an extremely dangerous road to tread, but as long as people consider it normal and view it as a need, it will be a problem. Always has been and will be.

R

RuthieB

I think that it is because we are in an age where we live in the now and forget the future and because of that we don't want to wait for anything, when we decide we want something we don't want to wait five minutes let alone have to wait for a wedding ceremony. Just my thoughts:).

C

Chezz

I think that it is because we are in an age where we live in the now and forget the future and because of that we don't want to wait for anything, when we decide we want something we don't want to wait five minutes let alone have to wait for a wedding ceremony. Just my thoughts:).
I would have to agree with this one! God Bless :)

B

Bryancampbell

I think we should drink tea instead...I don't know but it to me that sounded pretty kewl...okay now the feeling left

C

choosingmylife

I've heard some horrible things from some adults. I've heard that "We can't expect teenagers to not have sex." What?! I'm a teenager and I've never had sex. They think that it's not even worth it to teach us the negative consequences of having sex this young. I understand, because I've been raised in church, but some of the other teens at my school don't get it. They go home and are attacked by the devil through all of the "innocent" music, tv shows, and negative friends they have

onlinebuddy

Sep 1, 2012
Influence of the media, movies, tv, celebrities, music, etc. These are the media of Satan. He is the master of lies. He makes people look for love (relationships) in the wrong places and at the wrong age. At a time when our teenagers are supposed to be obeying their parents' advice, they are out there believing in the lies of the media. At a time when they are supposed to be focused on their studies, they are out there pursuing relationships. Mobiles and smartphones have distracted our teenagers from their careers and purposes.

About sex, most teenage guys want it just for the fun of it. Most girls want it because they want to feel secure and loved, because they probably haven't got that true love from their parents. Sadly, by the time they realize the truth, it is too late.

Parents too are responsible. They have been too selfish and have not presented their marriages in a positive way to their children. Why then would children believe in marriage?

Instead of blaming the next generation, we parents must own up and show our children true godly love and sacrifice. We have a huge responsibility of conveying the love of Christ to the next generation.

M

Mammachickadee

Hey Guys!!

So I was watching teen mom and all these people have issues based around the fact that they had sexual intercourse, conceived a child and they are still teens. Some have to drop out of high school and get a job to support their child. Their youth is destroyed becuase they did not want to wait.

Sex has been made commercialized, dirty even. God created it for a husband and wife to become one. Its meant to be a beautiful thing.

Okay fine, if that's not going to convince you to wait... Then are you willing to suffer the consequences of potentially getting pregnant or contracting an STI or STD...

I guess my point or question is WHY... Why can't we wait for marriage if the possible risks of doing it before hand are waaaay toooo high?

I go to a really good school yet there are girls still getting pregnant... Well educated people. They can't even use the excuse of "I didn't know."

Please do not get me wrong: I am in no way condemning those who have had sexual intercourse outside of marriage. Its just one of those things that nags at me.
I agree that promiscuity is commonplace, as is teen pregnancy before marriage in this day and age. It is wrong, and that's that... but to say their youth is ruined by it is a bit unfair. Truth be told it used to be commonplace for teens to be married off and being responsible mothers with babies. That was their youth, and their lives were very short anyway. Most of these girls probably didn't know, yet they had great examples in their parents of what being responsible was. The sins of the parents will be visited on the children to the third and forth generation. If a child is given a chance to get pregnant in high school, obviously their parents were negligent and not watchful enough. Are the sins of the children the parent's fault? No... but they could have often been avoided if parents had been more responsible.

M

Mammachickadee

Influence of the media, movies, tv, celebrities, music, etc. These are the media of Satan. He is the master of lies. He makes people look for love (relationships) in the wrong places and at the wrong age. At a time when our teenagers are supposed to be obeying their parents' advice, they are out there believing in the lies of the media. At a time when they are supposed to be focused on their studies, they are out there pursuing relationships. Mobiles and smartphones have distracted our teenagers from their careers and purposes.

About sex, most teenage guys want it just for the fun of it. Most girls want it because they want to feel secure and loved, because they probably haven't got that true love from their parents. Sadly, by the time they realize the truth, it is too late.

Parents too are responsible. They have been too selfish and have not presented their marriages in a positive way to their children. Why then would children believe in marriage?

Instead of blaming the next generation, we parents must own up and show our children true godly love and sacrifice. We have a huge responsibility of conveying the love of Christ to the next generation.
All too true. A child will not feel such a strong need for sexual gratification if they are getting the attention and instruction that they need at home.

M

Mammachickadee

I think it was c.s. Lewis who wrote about society viewing sex as something like hunger. When your hungry, you eat and it satisfies the craving. Society views sex in the same way, sufficient your sexual appetite is the only logical solution. Lewis pointed out though, if the case was that simple societies obsession with sex should be sufficed and diluted, however the more we encourage sex, the greater the desire becomes and the more carnal our desires. It's an extremely dangerous road to tread, but as long as people consider it normal and view it as a need, it will be a problem. Always has been and will be.
:) You are correct to a point. One basic human need is intimacy... whether it be with parents, siblings, friends, or God. That is how God created us. However, this world has the skewered ideology that intimacy is best expressed sexually... and not having sex means you aren't getting your basic needs met. Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs is a fascinating study because some of it seems so logical.
As a married woman I have to agree somewhat that sexual release is healthy, not just for exercise and "intimacy", but also for health and improved homeostasis. To make sex such an idol that one violates God's call for chastity, however, is obviously wrong.

Oct 31, 2011
God tells us what sex is, God created us so He should know. He created much of our world as a reflection of heaven!!! Much of the physical we see and do has a spiritual meaning to it.

Sex teaches us a major part of our spiritual world. Ask any person who studies man and what drives him, they all say that from the time a baby is born there is sexual awareness. It is how God created us.

God says He is the bridegroom, "For he who has become your husband is your Maker; his name is the Lord of hosts; your redeemer is the Holy One of Israel" (Is 54:5).

God says that when we are joined sexually, it is a much more profound joining that fun, getting pregnant, satisfying hunger, etc. It is becoming one, and it affects our spiritual world.

The sexual revolution, the joining of all the John and Suzie's down the street has changed our world whether we are a part of it or not. The majority of people in our world know absolutely nothing about sex. The thought that it is connected with God's spiritual world simply is not part of what they are able to know. Sex relates to the building of family, Godly true families can't be built when becoming one with a person has no meaning. Families are the basic structure of our country. So our very country has been undermined by all the John and Suzie's uniting with multiple people.

That doesn't make sense in the physical world that lives without knowledge of God. It is only true in the real world, for reality includes the spiritual.

X

xXErraticEmilyXx

It's probably a matter of willpower and awareness. I have a friend who told me it just happened. I don't really understand that, but I believe her. Might be an "in the moment" thing.