Lets discuss Revelation 3:10 and how it pertains to today

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
I

Imperfect

Rev. 3:10
Because thou hast kept the word of my patience, I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth.

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
Because thou hast kept the word of my patience, I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth.

I assume he is saying because the faithful patiently waited for him they would be saved from the tribulation

I

Imperfect

I assume he is saying because the faithful patiently waited for him they would be saved from the tribulation
that is the message in revelation.. especially in the early chapters. but what do you think He is talking about when He says, "the hour of temptation".

what is the hour of temptation?

jb

Feb 27, 2010
This was spoken to the church at Philadelphia by the Lord Jesus in 96 AD and it ONLY applies to that time and had a local fulfillment.

It has absolutely NOTHING whatsoever to do with today!

The Church WILL go through the Great Tribulation as Rev 7v9,10,14 clearly inform us, so if some uninformed soul thinks that Rev 3v10 means they are going to miss it, they are going to be greatly disappointed when they find themselves in it!

Yahweh Shalom...

Bookends

Aug 28, 2012
Unlike JB, I believe this was written before 70AD, to the Philadelphia Church, in a time intense persecution from both Jews and Romans (namely Nero). Jesus was telling them to hang on, persevere in the faith, for victory and relief was coming (quickly). Before 96AD, the "synagogue of Satan, who say they are the Jews" (verse 9) was dispersed/destroyed at 70AD, so that is only one of the reasons this can't be for Christians living @ 96AD. Also, persecution of Christians was at its peak prior to 70AD, not 96AD (I'm not saying there wasn't pockets of persecution here and there, but no where near as much prior to 70AD, Read from Acts 6 onward and you'll see how the Jews went after Christians).

We can draw application from this, in times of persecution we can trust God as our deliverer, even up to and in death.

BTW, the world used for world here is Oikoumene, G3625, it doesn't necessarily mean the whole entire world....

#3625 οἰκουμένη oikoumene {oy-kou-men'-ay} feminine participle present passive of G3611 (as noun, by implication of G1093); TDNT - 5:157,674; n f
—Greek Word Study (Transliteration-Pronunciation Etymology & Grammar)

1) the inhabited earth 1a) the portion of the earth inhabited by the Greeks, in distinction from the lands of the barbarians 1b) the Roman empire, all the subjects of the empire 1c) the whole inhabited earth, the world 1d) the inhabitants of the earth, men 2) the universe, the world
Same thing with EARTH, G1093, can be and should be in this case interpreted as "LAND" IMHO.

#1093 γῆ ge {ghay} contracted from a root word; TDNT - 1:677,116; n f

1) arable land 2) the ground, the earth as a standing place 3) the main land as opposed to the sea or water 4) the earth as a whole 4a) the earth as opposed to the heavens 4b) the inhabited earth, the abode of men and animals 5) a country, land enclosed within fixed boundaries, a tract of land, territory, region

jb

Feb 27, 2010
Unlike JB, I believe this was written before 70AD, to the Philadelphia Church, in a time intense persecution from both Jews and Romans (namely Nero). Jesus was telling them to hang on, persevere in the faith, for victory and relief was coming (quickly). Before 96AD, the "synagogue of Satan, who say they are the Jews" (verse 9) was dispersed/destroyed at 70AD, so that is only one of the reasons this can't be for Christians living @ 96AD. Also, persecution of Christians was at its peak prior to 70AD, not 96AD (I'm not saying there wasn't pockets of persecution here and there, but no where near as much prior to 70AD, Read from Acts 6 onward and you'll see how the Jews went after Christians).

We can draw application from this, in times of persecution we can trust God as our deliverer, even up to and in death.

BTW, the world used for world here is Oikoumene, G3625, it doesn't necessarily mean the whole entire world....

#3625 οἰκουμένη oikoumene {oy-kou-men'-ay} feminine participle present passive of G3611 (as noun, by implication of G1093); TDNT - 5:157,674; n f

1) the inhabited earth 1a) the portion of the earth inhabited by the Greeks, in distinction from the lands of the barbarians 1b) the Roman empire, all the subjects of the empire 1c) the whole inhabited earth, the world 1d) the inhabitants of the earth, men 2) the universe, the world
Same thing with EARTH, G1093, can be and should be in this case interpreted as "LAND" IMHO.

#1093 γῆ ge {ghay} contracted from a root word; TDNT - 1:677,116; n f

1) arable land 2) the ground, the earth as a standing place 3) the main land as opposed to the sea or water 4) the earth as a whole 4a) the earth as opposed to the heavens 4b) the inhabited earth, the abode of men and animals 5) a country, land enclosed within fixed boundaries, a tract of land, territory, region
Although Jerusalem and the Temple was destroyed in 70 AD, the religious Jews still met in their synagogues for worship in 96 AD and the unbelieving Jews still persecuted Christians at that time, and their was also a great persecutions of Christians under the Roman Emperor Domitian (who reigned from 81-96 AD), indeed he was called the 2nd Nero, so your arguments against the Book of Revelation not being written in 96 AD by John the Apostle don't hold up!

Bookends

Aug 28, 2012
Although Jerusalem and the Temple was destroyed in 70 AD, the religious Jews still met in their synagogues for worship in 96 AD and the unbelieving Jews still persecuted Christians at that time, and their was also a great persecutions of Christians under the Roman Emperor Domitian (who reigned from 81-96 AD), indeed he was called the 2nd Nero, so your arguments against the Book of Revelation not being written in 96 AD by John the Apostle don't hold up!
On the contrary, they do, but you're free to voice your opinion.
1. No mention of the destroyed Temple in Jerusalem in Revelation. Don't you think that's odd John didn't mention it? Why would he, it was still standing, and actually the temple is mention as still there in Revelation 11, you know, where Jesus said the Gentiles would trample it's court yard underfoot.
2. The 7 Kings, Rev. 17:10, [SUP]10 [/SUP]There are also seven kings. Five have fallen, one is, and the other has not yet come. And when he comes, he must continue a short time. Nero was the 6th emperor.

1. Julius Caesar

2. Augustus Caesar

3. Tiberious Caesar
4. Gaius Caesar
5. Claudius Caesar "Five have fallen"
6. Nero Caesar "one is"
7. Galba "must remain for a little while" (died withing 7 months)

3. 600 60 and 6 equates to Nero as well, and the Latin text, 616 also equates to Nero...

Bah, Why bother, I've been down this road before... lol

See The Book of Revelation - Preterism Matters

May 24, 2013
that is the message in revelation.. especially in the early chapters. but what do you think He is talking about when He says, "the hour of temptation".

what is the hour of temptation?
Could it be that Jesus is speaking about the people that are living right up to when the Mark of the Beast is actually enforced,,the time of the plauges, the very last terrible days before Jesus comes?

Could it be that Jesus is referring to death,,when He says, 'I also will keep you from the hour of trial which shall come upon the whole world, to test those who dwell on the earth." Could Jesus be saying, that these folks will die and be safe in the grave,, and won't have to face the terrible time and trial that the younger generation that follows will??

D

danschance

This was spoken to the church at Philadelphia by the Lord Jesus in 96 AD and it ONLY applies to that time and had a local fulfillment.

The Church WILL go through the Great Tribulation as Rev 7v9,10,14 clearly inform us, so if some uninformed soul thinks that Rev 3v10 means they are going to miss it, they are going to be greatly disappointed when they find themselves in it!

Yahweh Shalom...
Are you saying the words of Christ are for only one generation? I do not believe it was all fulfilled in the first century. The first century we did see some things fulfilled and other not yet fulfilled.

I reject your opinion on this scripture.

starfield

Jun 13, 2009
It indicates that the body of Christ will be kept from (escape) the hour of temptation which is Jacob's trouble. Furthermore, "But let us, who are of the day, be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love; and for an helmet, the hope of salvation. For God hath not appointed us to wrath, but to obtain salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ" (1 Thess 5:8-9).

Sep 4, 2012
This refers to the power of GOD's spirit to preserve (keep) his people in the midst of trials and afflictions. It is not about being removed from them.

I pray not that thou should take them out of the world, but that thou should keep them from the evil. John 17:15

N

nathan3

This hour is talking about the Antichrist here on earth ( mark 13 ; luke 21 ; matthew 24; Revelation 12: 9 ; etc ) They have trial 10 days as written of Only those two churches that taught the about the Lies of the Jews. That claim to be of the tribe of Judah, but are not, and are offspirng of Satan. Christ word. They are the only two that Christ was totally happy with. The question is, do you know what they taught. If you don't then your hurting as far as truth gos. The way these people are kept from this temptation,, is because they know the truth ( the seal of God ), and do not find Satan tempting, but rather an abomination. In that sense they are kept from it. As you read, their job is to have trial ten days each, and witness against the Synagog of Satan Which the Holy Spirit will use them ( Joel the Prophet ), when it is established in the not so distant future. ( 2 thess 2 )

Last edited:

jb

Feb 27, 2010
Are you saying the words of Christ are for only one generation? I do not believe it was all fulfilled in the first century. The first century we did see some things fulfilled and other not yet fulfilled.
Our Lord gives the key to interpreting the Book of Revelation in Rev 1v19:

'Write the things which thou hast seen, and the things which are, and the things which shall be hereafter.'

1) Things past: 'the things that thou has seen': refer to Rev 1v9-20. John's vision of our glorified Saviour, and the comfort and commission that He gave to His aged beloved apostle.

2) Things present: 'the things which are,” refer to the seven churches of Asia, in chapters 2 and 3 of Revelation; these were actual Churches founded by Paul and his helpers. John seems to have been the apostolic overseer of these seven churches after going to Ephesus in about 70 AD. In Rev 2 & 3, Christ gives a revelation of the spiritual condition of the seven churches in Asia and His messages to them. These messages reveal the relationship and attitude of Christ to His Church on earth. The letters to the seven churches are not prophecies of different periods of Church history, they are messages to each named individual church. However, each letter to the churches has lessons for all of Christ's Church in all ages. So, Rev 3v10 has a local fulfillment in John's day, it does also show the believer that God is able to keep them from backsliding and apostasy when in evil times, but there is absolutely NO way that this Scripture can be used to support some fanciful idea that the Church will miss the Great Tribulation by a secret pre-tribulation advent and rapture, for Rev 7v9-17 clearly states that the Church goes through it!

3) Things future: 'the things which shall be hereafter,' is said in Rev 4v1 to refer to the prophecies recorded in Rev 4v1 to 22v21. Rev 4v1-19v21 refers to to a short period of time at the end of the age (the fulfillment of Daniel's 70th week in his 70 week prophecy, Dan 9v27), which ends with the return of Jesus on the day of the Lord. There is a particular emphasis on the last 3½years of this age; the period known as “The Great Tribulation.”

So, those of you who want to twist Rev 3v10 in some vain attempt in trying to convince yourselves that you are going to miss the Great Tribulation are living in a spiritual fantasy. Also, remember the words of the Lord Jesus in Rev 22v18,19, if you add a secret pre-tribulation advent and rapture and teach such, causing the otherthrow of the faith of believers, you are in for the high jump when you meet the Lord!

I reject your opinion on this scripture
You can reject all you like, that is your prerogative!

Yahweh Shalom...

john832

May 31, 2013

Yahweh Shalom...
It has everything to do with the church today and it is speaking directly to the Philadelphia era of God's church.

john832

May 31, 2013

Yahweh Shalom...
Apparently you do not understand type and anti-type.

jb

Feb 27, 2010
It has everything to do with the church today and it is speaking directly to the Philadelphia era of God's church.
Fellow...I think you need to go and have another think on how you interpret the Book of Revelation, for you obviously are mixed up! :p

L

Laodicea

Revelation 2:25 KJV
(25) But that which ye have already hold fast till I come.
Revelation 3:11 KJV
(11) Behold, I come quickly: hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown.
Revelation 3:20 KJV
(20) Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

If we look at these three verses we see progression concerning the coming of Christ. So according to this it is for our time.

Apr 6, 2012
Christ’s message to the congregation in the Lydian city of Philadelphia contains no reproof, but it does make a promise that should be of the greatest interest to “Because you kept the word about my endurance, I will also keep you from the hour of test, which is to come upon the whole inhabited earth, to put a test upon those dwelling on the earth.” (Revelation 3:10) The Greek for “kept the word about my endurance” can also mean “kept what I said about endurance.” Verse 8 suggests that the Christians in Philadelphia not only had obeyed Christ’s commands but had followed his counsel to endure faithfully themselves.-Matthew 10:22; Luke 21:19.

Jesus added that he would keep them from “the hour of test.” Just what that meant for those Christians back there, we do not know. Although there was a brief respite in the persecution after the death of Domitian in 96 C.E., a new wave of persecution began under Trajan (98-117 C.E.), doubtless bringing further trials. But the major “hour of test” occurs in “the Lord’s day” during “the time of the end,” where we now are. (Revelation 1:10; Daniel 12:4) It affects “the whole inhabited earth,” including the millions making up the great crowd, who hope to survive the great tribulation. (Revelation 3:10; 7:9, 14) Happy we will be if we ‘keep what Jesus said about endurance,’ namely: “He that has endured to the end is the one that will be saved.”-Matthew 24:13.