Living with mother in law... Any thoughts?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
K

Katie3

Hi guys,

My bf decided that in case we get married, his mom (separated with his dad) will live with him...

In the bible, it says that a man shall leave his father and mother and cleave to his wife, and they shall become one flesh...

I'm hoping to find guidance on this. If you are a wife and a child and have a success or otherwise story on this, your insight would be appreciated.

Thank you and God bless.

BillyTheKid

Feb 17, 2009
I had a mother in law once, so I think it is best for me to keep silent on this topic :p

loveme1

Oct 30, 2011
Hi guys,

My bf decided that in case we get married, his mom (separated with his dad) will live with him...

In the bible, it says that a man shall leave his father and mother and cleave to his wife, and they shall become one flesh...

I'm hoping to find guidance on this. If you are a wife and a child and have a success or otherwise story on this, your insight would be appreciated.

Thank you and God bless.

His mother is alone now and will benefit from support.

We should be open to receive those in need.

Pray for strength to keep it a friendly loving home.

It will take time to adjust to having your mother in-law around.

It is not uncommon in some parts of the world for families to live together.

I would welcome my mother in-law to live or even my mother..

If you can not find it in yourself to allow this it will be difficult, go into it with an open heart and enjoy your experience.

S

simplymeganne

if it was your mother, you might feel differently. he wouldn't even be here if it wasn't for her. she gave you him, and she taught him how to treat a woman. it might not be the most fun, but it has to happen. try to come into it with an open mind. "leave his mother and father" doesn't mean abandon them..

Lucy68

Jan 21, 2011
How well do you two get along? Does she really need to live with someone?
I think it's nice for extended family to live together if possible.

My aunt wanted to have her mom live with her but also wanted her own space so they bought a duplex. It worked very well for them :)

S

shekaniah

I agree with Lucy68...
If you get along, you should be fine.

I could never live with my mother-in-law.
She is too controlling, and my husband always
wants to please her...
Which I respect, but could not live with 24/7.

Pray for wisdom!
God bless, Shekaniah

F

Felicity7

Hey :)

Why does she want to live with you when you are married?
If she can stay somewhere else,and she'll doing fine,then I think that is the best way,
because you and your husband need a place on your own.
It depends on the situation I think,sometimes you live with a relative for a while, but when you are a married couple you certain can not live with a
mother-in-law for always in one house.
She also can live nearby you,if that's a better option...

well God bless :)!!

S

spirit

What I would do is tell your boyfriend that you would like to get to know his mum before making anydecisions. I know that I could not be able to leave with either my own mother or his mother because both cannot accept western values and that is a very hard thing to live with if you are from different backgrounds. Get to know her well, whether you like each other or not and that you have clear expectations on what is to happen especially on your first year of marriage . If your boyfriend can make his own decisions without his mum, you will be ok, because it proves he has his own mine. If he does not have an independent mine, you will be in trouble, becacuse it will be like marrying to 2 people. Just be aware of the situation that's all. good Luck

K

Katie3

Hello all,

Thank you for your insights on this. Just an update, I did tell my boyfriend that it is not my preference but I am willing to submit because God commands the women to submit to husbands... But he decided to break up with me...

Now I'm just believing that the Lord has a better plan for my life.

God bless you all.

S

shekaniah

Sorry to hear about your break up.
I do believe God has a better plan for your life!
Love in Jesus, Shekaniah