Love at first sight: a sham!

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
B

Brandon777

What a horrible notion. That someone falls in love with you from your looks alone. Simply the worst notion I've heard apart from marrying someone due souly because they're rich. In my humble opinion there are many facets/dynamics to loving someone. There should be intimacy, passion, commitment and a willingness to sacrifice, as well as trust before someone should be said to be in love. What do you y'all think?

Z

zhaoyuese

agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

C

CatWoman

California food vendor serves 'Dead Dogs' out of real hearse

I know that sounds bad to fall in the love with some one because of their looks.Yet at the same time people need to find something thats attractive about some body to get them to open up in the first place. It does not have to be good looks . It can be other things too. However it does seem like a lot of people hang on to a bad relationship because they find their partner sexually appealing. I know Ive done it. I didnt realize how stupid that was till I was in my 30s. Here you are in your 20s and you all ready figured it out. How wise you are.
As for marrying for money it has been a traditon for women after marrage to become a homemaker. So the women would want to marry the most financhally succsesfull man they could find. This would insure their security. However more and more women have been entering the work force since wwII . So this neednt be so for today. I ve had such bad experiance with men I will not allow my self to be totally dependent on a man.

B

Bornfromabove

There are two 4 letter "L" words that people often confuse with each other, that is "love" and "lust". They are not synonymous. I believe in lust at first sight, I believe in fascination at first sight, I believe in crush that can evolve into love at first sight, but I do not believe in true love at first sight FOR ME...maybe it happens for others?

A

adekruif

There are two 4 letter "L" words that people often confuse with each other, that is "love" and "lust". They are not synonymous. I believe in lust at first sight, I believe in fascination at first sight, I believe in crush that can evolve into love at first sight, but I do not believe in true love at first sight FOR ME...maybe it happens for others?
You beat me to it. That was the first thought that went through my mind when I saw the title of the thread.

J

Jason83

What a horrible notion. That someone falls in love with you from your looks alone. Simply the worst notion I've heard apart from marrying someone due souly because they're rich. In my humble opinion there are many facets/dynamics to loving someone. There should be intimacy, passion, commitment and a willingness to sacrifice, as well as trust before someone should be said to be in love. What do you y'all think?
Actually love at first sight doesn't necessarily have to be about looks. Billy Graham stated that when he first saw his wife he knew that he was going marry her. Of course, this was probably the holy spirit telling him that, but it is still sort of love at first sight.

Snackersmom

May 10, 2011
Actually love at first sight doesn't necessarily have to be about looks. Billy Graham stated that when he first saw his wife he knew that he was going marry her. Of course, this was probably the holy spirit telling him that, but it is still sort of love at first sight.
I agree, Jason, it is possible, and it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the other person's looks. It wouldn't be mature love, of course, but I do think that God can draw you to another person as soon as you see them for the first time. It might not mean that you're going to marry them, but I do think that it's a real thing, just not especially common. If I remember correctly, Michael W. Smith and his wife experienced something similar :)

A

Aqua_Girl09

It happened at my church. my pastor's daughter in law saw his son and she was like "hes the one i've been waiting for"

she had prayed for years that she would know him when she saw him. she had never dated anyone else before him, never kissed a boy, but when she saw him she KNEW.

i'm sure its rare but i think love at first sight is an AWESOME reward for diligently keeping your purtiy. ^_^

Wonderland

May 6, 2010
Thinking about my past relationships I just realized that most of the guys that I have dated I have really NOT liked at first sight... They were weird and annoying, but over time there was something that endeared me to all of them. My husband was the MOST annoying of them all though. UGH, just thinking about it irritates me. We used to talk about Bible stuff and his answer was always, "Let me ask T.J." (His know-it-all roommate who didn't really know all that much.) I was like, "SERIOUSLY!? Can't you think for yoursel just ONE TIME?" Ugh! I'm so glad he doesn't do that anymore!

L

Liz01

I like very much to think that love at first sight doesnt exist. The fact that we can know the other person a little bit more each day and that the love born and keep growing with the time is a better idea to me.

niceguyJ

Feb 5, 2011
More times than not it's just attraction or lust at first site rather than love. However, God is certainly capable of doing some amazing things with people. That can't be denied when you read some of the stories posted here. So there are exceptions.
As stated though, it probably went deeper than looks. Somehow these people just recognized something in the other immediately. I guess that's still some form of "sight".
Sometimes I need to be reminded that God does still work some miracles. To me, this would fall under that category.

R

Relena7

I think real love at first sight is something deeper and more unexplainable than just looks or lust. Perhaps your souls connect from across the room through your eyes and you just know.
Go on, roll your eyes at me. This is just a hunch I have. I'm not speaking from experience or anything. Nor am I suggesting it can or should happen with everyone.

C

Crossfire

I think real love at first sight is something deeper and more unexplainable than just looks or lust. Perhaps your souls connect from across the room through your eyes and you just know.
Go on, roll your eyes at me. This is just a hunch I have. I'm not speaking from experience or anything. Nor am I suggesting it can or should happen with everyone.
I have no problem in believing that there is such a thing as love at first sight however, I don't believe that such a love would rely on appearances alone. While I'm sure that attraction does have a role to play, I believe that there has to be something much deeper at work going on which would definitely include a certain level of both maturity and discernment.

Although I would agree with the OP that the majority of what most call love at first sight is nothing more than lust.

Last edited:

Snackersmom

May 10, 2011
^^^Yeah, pretty much that :). It was certainly an odd feeling.........