Love Comes Softly

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
May 12, 2016
My dear friends,

Have you ever pondered what love is, and how the idea of "love" has changed over time?

I know what I thought love was. Mainly what I seen on television or read in books. After my divorce, I did alot of soul searching and reading alot of books, articles ECT... trying to figure out what happened. The Bible was a big part of that. I stepped back and seen a wider version of the bible I never seen before. It is in fact a book of Love.

See my grandpa's all passed before I was born or to young to remember. I never seen a good example of a healthy biblical marriage. Let-a-lone. Love. I had no clue what it really meant. I have learned it is not emotions or feelings, and not fireworks, like the media shows. In fact the bible tells you. It is an action and a choice. " the greatest act of love, is to lay down your life for your neighbor" I think and believe why generations before us had lasting marriages. They did not have fantasy ideas of love and romance. Nor did they treat life as if it were disposable. And yes I know there were bad people and marriages throughout all of history.

Back in History marriage for a woman was mostly out of necessity, they had few rights. But if a woman got herself a good hearted man. I do believe she would slowly love him more and more. Like Pops, he was a good man honorable and giving. But strict and demanding. MaryAnns love softened his heart. Their love grew over time, till death parted them.

Looking at history and learning the real meaning of love, I have come to the conclusion that if a couple is equally yoked spiritually. No matter their differences, little pet peeves ECT... They can love each other. Love developes softly over time. Yes even opposites. Though admittedly, I would find living in a city quite difficult for me.

Love can and does develop softly over time, so long as we have the right mindset and choose to love.

What are your thoughts on love? Where did your examples of love come from? I look forward in hearing (reading) your replies.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
For some reason I'm reminded of a book I saw lying out on the table in the church library. The title was "Love Comes Softly" and it turned out to be a christian romance book.

The only other thing I have on the topic is an old Hinsons song.

"I've heard songs that spoke of love
A man for a woman
Heard songs that spoke of momma's love for me
And I've heard songs that spoke of love for planes
People, places, cars and trains
And I thought that was all that love could be

But I never heard a real love song
Till I heard them sing of Calvary
And I never knew the real meaning of love
Till I heard Jesus died there for me"

May 12, 2016
For some reason I'm reminded of a book I saw lying out on the table in the church library. The title was "Love Comes Softly" and it turned out to be a christian romance book.

The only other thing I have on the topic is an old Hinsons song.

"I've heard songs that spoke of love
A man for a woman
Heard songs that spoke of momma's love for me
And I've heard songs that spoke of love for planes
People, places, cars and trains
And I thought that was all that love could be

But I never heard a real love song
Till I heard them sing of Calvary
And I never knew the real meaning of love
Till I heard Jesus died there for me"
I haven't heard that song before. Nice lyrics. You are correct there is a book, though I have not read it. They also made a movie out of it. I forgot about that. I seen it years ago. You are correct it is a "Little House on the Prairie" style christian movie based on a woman getting married out of necessity. I am glad you brought that up. It gives a good visual on what I was talking about in at least early American history.

I can't think of a song that speaks of this. Thank you for sharing the one you did.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
CAUTION: Old southern gospel song ahead. People who are allergic to old style music should avoid clicking "Play."

Jewel5712

Jun 22, 2018
My dear friends,

Have you ever pondered what love is, and how the idea of "love" has changed over time?

I know what I thought love was. Mainly what I seen on television or read in books. After my divorce, I did alot of soul searching and reading alot of books, articles ECT... trying to figure out what happened. The Bible was a big part of that. I stepped back and seen a wider version of the bible I never seen before. It is in fact a book of Love.

See my grandpa's all passed before I was born or to young to remember. I never seen a good example of a healthy biblical marriage. Let-a-lone. Love. I had no clue what it really meant. I have learned it is not emotions or feelings, and not fireworks, like the media shows. In fact the bible tells you. It is an action and a choice. " the greatest act of love, is to lay down your life for your neighbor" I think and believe why generations before us had lasting marriages. They did not have fantasy ideas of love and romance. Nor did they treat life as if it were disposable. And yes I know there were bad people and marriages throughout all of history.

Back in History marriage for a woman was mostly out of necessity, they had few rights. But if a woman got herself a good hearted man. I do believe she would slowly love him more and more. Like Pops, he was a good man honorable and giving. But strict and demanding. MaryAnns love softened his heart. Their love grew over time, till death parted them.

Looking at history and learning the real meaning of love, I have come to the conclusion that if a couple is equally yoked spiritually. No matter their differences, little pet peeves ECT... They can love each other. Love developes softly over time. Yes even opposites. Though admittedly, I would find living in a city quite difficult for me.

Love can and does develop softly over time, so long as we have the right mindset and choose to love.

What are your thoughts on love? Where did your examples of love come from? I look forward in hearing (reading) your replies.
Hiya..i agree with most of what you said but you can love someone but not LIKE them..especially if youre too different..changing a lot is not being true to self and might cause resentment in the long run..i love my mom but after 4 or 5 days we butt heads..i love her..but im glad i dont live with her anymore..lol..but kudos on the sacrificial love part ;)

May 12, 2016
Hiya..i agree with most of what you said but you can love someone but not LIKE them..especially if youre too different..changing a lot is not being true to self and might cause resentment in the long run..i love my mom but after 4 or 5 days we butt heads..i love her..but im glad i dont live with her anymore..lol..but kudos on the sacrificial love part ;)
Ill have to think about how to word it better. But yes, I was talking about spouses. I love my mother because she is my mother. But I have not seen her in almost 10 yrs. You are not suppose to entertain toxic relationships. Nor change for someone unless it is for the better. ( example: when we in our hearts except Jesus, love him and desire to please him and obey, do we not slowly change who we were?) I don't even think I mentioned changing. If we love someone, we change some of our ways on our own. Not our character. Anyway let me get back with you after I give it some thought. I can see it just fine in my head and heart, finding the words to describe that makes sense not so easy.😊