Loving/Liking

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
J

Jullianna

All of this love talk made me wonder...

We all know that we are called to love, but if we LOVE people with the love of Christ, does that mean we have to like everything they say/do and every behavior they may have, or is it okay to love people and still not think it's good for us to be around them much, especially if it affects us negatively?

Do you hold hands with every single person in your life and sweetly sing Kumbaya? Do you have family members that you love and would do anything for who get on your nerves in a major way?

I know there are people who don't like me, but I can still love them anyway. I know I'm not perfect and probably get on some people's nerves sometimes. I get on my son's nerves in particular, but I know he still loves me. :)

1still_waters

I think for some of us, simply holding our tongue around those who have 'nails on the chalkboard' personalities (to us), may in fact be one of the highest forms of love.

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011

I know there are people who don't like me, but I can still love them anyway. I know I'm not perfect and probably get on some people's nerves sometimes. I get on my son's nerves in particular, but I know he still loves me. :)
Exactly, loving and "liking" are two very different things. Although Christ loved the Pharisees (He died for their sins too), scripture makes it pretty clear he didn't like them. Love as we think of in context of family, marriage etc. is an active choice of the will, whereas "liking" them comes down to emotions and personal preferences.

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
I think for some of us, simply holding our tongue around those who have 'nails on the chalkboard' personalities (to us), may in fact be one of the highest forms of love.
Kind of explains why so many people are quiet around Stilly. :D

B

BananaPie

ROFLOLMHO!!!

You saints are blasting funny, funny!! Indeed the patience of the Lord is with you and the joy of the Lord is your strength.

Yes, some peeps can be so mean, irrational, acidic, sour tormentors, utterly wrong and bitter, yet that's the difference the saints make in this world-gone-mad in that because you have come to know the love of the Lord Jesus, those sharp turns in life become a peachy, sweet, breezy, tranquil journey and even a funny episode of Gilligan's Island!

...just hang in there. We may not live as kings, but as long as the King lives with us, it will be worth it all. The Lord is good. :)

Last edited:
B

BananaPie

BTW, Congratulation Oncefallen!!

You are definitely equitable, prompt in bringing resolve, polite, prudent, very manly on the Christian side and of course, of sound mind. :D

J

Jullianna

LOL Stilly!

For those of us who find that extremely difficult after a long period of time or have too many scars on our tongues from HAVING done that, loving them from a distance seems to work best :D

I'm thinking married folks and parents understand this concept extremely well. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
U

Ugly

Not only do i think its acceptable, i think its a good idea to stay away from such people. Many people try to label me unloving because i refuse to be around people that agitate me for whatever reason. But if i were to go around them i risk confrontations, and childish spats, thereby making one or both of us stumble. So whats more loving? Insisting i have to interact with them and always being at odds, or keeping my distance so neither of us have to be at risk?

J

Jullianna

I do have to confess that there have been times when I haven't wanted to be around someone who got on my nerves and God has put me into a position of having to spend time with them so I could get to know them better, realize why they are the way they are and re-evaluate my feelings. :) It's actually kind of funny when He does that. I think it makes Him smile when we finally catch on too. :)

Besides, there are probably people out there who aren't always that thrilled about being around us either, huh? :D

V

violakat

If a child commits murder, does that mean the father has to hate his child, because his child did something he disliked. If so, then we are all in trouble. God loves us despite our sin. He hates our sin, yet He loves us.

C

CatWoman

Im thinling that you would want to love people uncondictionaly and the only way I can find myself doing that is thru forgiving people.

J

Jewliah

All of this love talk made me wonder...

We all know that we are called to love, but if we LOVE people with the love of Christ, does that mean we have to like everything they say/do and every behavior they may have, or is it okay to love people and still not think it's good for us to be around them much, especially if it affects us negatively?

Do you hold hands with every single person in your life and sweetly sing Kumbaya? Do you have family members that you love and would do anything for who get on your nerves in a major way?

Thank you. This reminded me that I need to love the neighbor who is giving me a hard time. I certainly don't like then, but I do pray for their renewed relationship in Christ and I will love them, but at a distance.