Luke 5:23 - What IS the answer to Jesus' question?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Sharp

May 5, 2009
"Which is easier: to say, ‘Your sins are forgiven,’ or to say, ‘Get up and walk’? But so that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins...." Then he said to the paralytic, "Get up, take your mat and go home."

I don't get it. Which IS easier to say? I've never known the answer to the question, even though I understand the meaning of the passage.

There are two possible theories I know of:

1. Jesus is saying that neither is easy for a man to say (and make happen), and by doing both, which are equally difficult (impossible) for a man to do, he is proving he is God.

2. It is easier for a man to say to someone that their sins are forgiven, since this can't be proven to have no effect, whereas telling someone to get up and walk can obviously be proven to be of no effect. Jesus then tells the man to get up and walk to silence the doubters who questioned his authority to forgive sins.

I don't know which answer is correct. I would appreciate your assistance.

Thankyou.

loveme1

Oct 30, 2011
the next part tells us why he said both

Luke 5:24

24 But that ye may know that the Son of man hath power upon earth to forgive sins, (he said unto the sick of the palsy,) I say unto thee, Arise, and take up thy couch, and go into thine house.
So if we read the prospective of the pharisees

Luke 5

21 And the scribes and the Pharisees began to reason, saying, Who is this which speaketh blasphemies? Who can forgive sins, but God alone?

22 But when Jesus perceived their thoughts, he answering said unto them, What reason ye in your hearts?

23 Whether is easier, to say, Thy sins be forgiven thee; or to say, Rise up and walk?

24 But that ye may know that the Son of man hath power upon earth to forgive sins, (he said unto the sick of the palsy,) I say unto thee, Arise, and take up thy couch, and go into thine house.

25 And immediately he rose up before them, and took up that whereon he lay, and departed to his own house, glorifying God.

It was a sign to bare witness that he hath the power to forgive sins.

loveme1

Oct 30, 2011
outcome:

26 And they were all amazed, and they glorified God, and were filled with fear, saying, We have seen strange things to day.

27 And after these things he went forth, and saw a publican, named Levi, sitting at the receipt of custom: and he said unto him, Follow me.

28 And he left all, rose up, and followed him.

loveme1

Oct 30, 2011
Also:

John 5

Now there is at Jerusalem by the sheep market a pool, which is called in the Hebrew tongue Bethesda, having five porches. 3In these lay a great multitude of impotent folk, of blind, halt, withered, waiting for the moving of the water. 4For an angel went down at a certain season into the pool, and troubled the water: whosoever then first after the troubling of the water stepped in was made whole of whatsoever disease he had. 5And a certain man was there, which had an infirmity thirty and eight years. 6When Jesus saw him lie, and knew that he had been now a long time in that case, he saith unto him, Wilt thou be made whole? 7The impotent man answered him, Sir, I have no man, when the water is troubled, to put me into the pool: but while I am coming, another steppeth down before me. 8Jesus saith unto him, Rise, take up thy bed, and walk. 9And immediately the man was made whole, and took up his bed, and walked: and on the same day was the sabbath. 10The Jews therefore said unto him that was cured, It is the sabbath day: it is not lawful for thee to carry thy bed. 11He answered them, He that made me whole, the same said unto me, Take up thy bed, and walk. 12Then asked they him, What man is that which said unto thee, Take up thy bed, and walk? 13And he that was healed wist not who it was: for Jesus had conveyed himself away, a multitude being in that place. 14Afterward Jesus findeth him in the temple, and said unto him, Behold, thou art made whole: sin no more, lest a worse thing come unto thee. 15The man departed, and told the Jews that it was Jesus, which had made him whole. 16And therefore did the Jews persecute Jesus, and sought to slay him, because he had done these things on the sabbath day. 17But Jesus answered them, My Father worketh hitherto, and I work.

18Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God.

loveme1

Oct 30, 2011
You will note that:

Luke 5

20 And when he saw their faith, he said unto him, Man, thy sins are forgiven thee.
Through Faith our sins be forgiven indeed.

loveme1

Oct 30, 2011
Both instances the person had to believe in Yahshua the Messiah.

They both believed him and acted on that belief by getting up.

It was their Faith in Him that said "Arise" and" Rise"

Witnessing to all that he is able to forgive us of our sins.

loveme1

Oct 30, 2011
Sharp, your question moved me to look up Scripture and i'm not sure it answers your question.

Thank you for the thread though much to consider through your post :)

i consider the question is offered to Teach us who Yahshua the Messiah is, what he came to do and who sent him.

Very important answers indeed.

P

psychomom

According to HELPS Word Studies, the words, "to say", have this definition:

légō (originally, "lay down to sleep," used later of "laying an argument to rest," i.e. bringing a message to closure; see Curtius, Thayer) – properly, to say (speak), moving to a conclusion (bringing it to closure, "laying it to rest").
(helpsbible.com)

It seems possible the Lord (since He knew their thoughts...v. 22) was bringing the matter to a conclusion for the hearers...what do you think? :)

Indeed, so the hearers might know Who He is...the One with the power to heal not body only! :)

-ellie

loveme1

Oct 30, 2011
Here is something for us to consider:

John 9

1And as Jesus passed by, he saw a man which was blind from his birth. 2And his disciples asked him, saying, Master, who did sin, this man, or his parents, that he was born blind? 3Jesus answered, Neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents: but that the works of God should be made manifest in him. 4I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work. 5As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world. 6When he had thus spoken, he spat on the ground, and made clay of the spittle, and he anointed the eyes of the blind man with the clay, 7And said unto him, Go, wash in the pool of Siloam, (which is by interpretation, Sent.) He went his way therefore, and washed, and came seeing. 8The neighbours therefore, and they which before had seen him that he was blind, said, Is not this he that sat and begged? 9Some said, This is he: others said, He is like him: but he said, I am he. 10Therefore said they unto him, How were thine eyes opened? 11He answered and said, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed mine eyes, and said unto me, Go to the pool of Siloam, and wash: and I went and washed, and I received sight. 12Then said they unto him, Where is he? He said, I know not.

Sharp

May 5, 2009
bump

T

Trax

"Which is easier: to say, ‘Your sins are forgiven,’ or to say, ‘Get up and walk’? But so that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins...." Then he said to the paralytic, "Get up, take your mat and go home."

I don't get it. Which IS easier to say? I've never known the answer to the question, even though I understand the meaning of the passage.

There are two possible theories I know of:

1. Jesus is saying that neither is easy for a man to say (and make happen), and by doing both, which are equally difficult (impossible) for a man to do, he is proving he is God.

2. It is easier for a man to say to someone that their sins are forgiven, since this can't be proven to have no effect, whereas telling someone to get up and walk can obviously be proven to be of no effect. Jesus then tells the man to get up and walk to silence the doubters who questioned his authority to forgive sins.

I don't know which answer is correct. I would appreciate your assistance.

Thankyou.
#2 is the correct view, concerning your question.

Sharp

May 5, 2009
Thankyou Trax. After researching this passage alot, I agree.

These are some notes I have made on this passage, in case anyone else is interested:

Jesus clearly asks what is easier to say, not what is easier to do. Also, the purpose of the passage/account is to show that Jesus both claimed to be and proved that he was God. Jesus telling the man that his sins are forgiven did not prove to the Pharisees and others that he was God, only the act of healing did. In the context of the passage, from the point of view of a skeptical person not believing in Jesus, it was far easier to tell someone that their sins are forgiven, as anyone could say that. Jesus then demolishes their skepticism by saying something far more difficult, that only God could give effect to, and demonstrates he does have the authority to forgive sins.

WordGaurdian

May 1, 2011

It is easier to say ... get up and walk. In the eyes of the Jews, only God were able to forgive sins. It was downright blasphemy to imply that anyone else could forgive says except God. So even if Jesus merely said Get up and walk. It would not have the same effect. It would be easier though since there wouldn't be conflict. Now it was confusing because if He had the power to forgive sins, then that would imply that He was send by God and with His authority did heal the man. Which at this stage was still a matter of discussion with the Jewish leaders. For some did believe He did come from God and others did not.

Apr 6, 2012
Our narrator, Luke, points out that those who had brought the paralytic to Jesus had done so under great difficulties. “And when [Jesus] saw their faith he said: ‘Man, your sins are forgiven you.’” This was what had raised the objection in these self-styled leaders and arbiters of religious worship. “Thereupon the scribes and the Pharisees started to reason, saying: ‘Who is this that is speaking blasphemies? Who can forgive sins except God alone?’ But Jesus, discerning their reasoning, said in answer to them: ‘What are you reasoning out in your hearts? Which is easier, to say, “Your sins are forgiven you,” or to say, “Get up and walk”? But in order for you to know that the Son of man has authority on the earth to forgive sins-’ he said to the paralyzed man: ‘I say to you, Get up and pick up your little bed and be on your way home.’”-Luke 5:20-24.

This miracle was a demonstration for the benefit of people to believe and have faith that he was the Son of God, with god given authority.

Shilo

Aug 31, 2011
Yeshua was doing something only God could do forgive sins and make some one walk. He was proving to those who knew the word of God that he was the Messiah.

I think there is more to this story because people who are weighted down with sin can’t walk. They live every day as a struggle. Someone may come by and say snap out of it (walk) but their grief is so strong they may very much want to walk but the weight of the sin holds them down. Then another person may come by and say your forgiven Yeshua paid it at the cross all you have to do is believe. A weight is not lifted because someone told you some nice words. The words may be true but if that is all they did the forgiveness is not properly secured. The weight is still there and the unforgiveness is still there. It is when you have friends come along side you and help lift the weight and bring you to the savior that someone receives forgiveness. They except and come to truly understand what Yeshua has done for them. With that weight lifted they are now able to walk maybe for the first time in their whole life and that is a miracle of God. It becomes a miracle that keeps giving because when one life is changed it touches other lives. Both are hard to do and both take time but with God nothing is impossible.

Galatians 6:2 Help carry each other's burdens. In this way you will follow Christ's teachings.

Romans 15
15 We who are strong ought to bear with the failings of the weak and not to please ourselves. 2 Each of us should please our neighbors for their good, to build them up. 3 For even Christ did not please himself but, as it is written: “The insults of those who insult you have fallen on me. 4 For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through the endurance taught in the Scriptures and the encouragement they provide we might have hope.
5 May the God who gives endurance and encouragement give you the same attitude of mind toward each other that Christ Jesus had, 6 so that with one mind and one voice you may glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.