Lust: What is it and is it ever good?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Aug 12, 2015
I have multiple friends come to me lately about lust issues as well as asking me can it ever be good to lust.

I'm sure this has always been an issue among generations but feel today this is worse with the media and easy access to so many impure things. The lack of sensitivity and value to it all, as well as Bible principals on the issues of lust, sex, etc.

I feel lust is always destructive and selfish, that it is in many ways the opposite of love. Being impatience, unkind, envious, lies, self-seeking, rude etc. and the heart sin to sexual immortality.

So...... really just wanting to see what others think of lust and what it means and is it ever good? I'm also curious on purity, and how you would define it? Such would having lustful imaginations be considered impure to you, what does the bible say on these things.

Thanks for your opinions and scriptures before hand, ML :)
Lust: Noun, strong sexual desire. Verb, to have a strong sexual desire towards someone.

Sex and reproduction are how the species survive. Lust is necessary for enjoyable sex, and enjoyable sex is necessary for a good marriage.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Sexual desire within a marriage relationships not the issue, for that has been sanctioned by God. The issue is people allowing lust to dictate actions in relationships that are not defined by such a clear commitment. The whole sexual revolution of the sixties, the freeing of sexual morality from the stays that bound it, has gone a long way toward the breakdown of our social structure across demographics.

A

atwhatcost

Lust: Noun, strong sexual desire. Verb, to have a strong sexual desire towards someone.

Sex and reproduction are how the species survive. Lust is necessary for enjoyable sex, and enjoyable sex is necessary for a good marriage.
How about using the biblical definition, instead of the modern definition? After all, God is awful! He really is, once we take away the modern definition of that word.

Biblical words for lust and what they mean.

Aug 12, 2015
Sexual desire within a marriage relationships not the issue, for that has been sanctioned by God. The issue is people allowing lust to dictate actions in relationships that are not defined by such a clear commitment. The whole sexual revolution of the sixties, the freeing of sexual morality from the stays that bound it, has gone a long way toward the breakdown of our social structure across demographics.
I would conclude that our social structure is the problem then (if people are resisting against it, it isn't what all people want). Society moves and changes. It was only a few thousand years ago when we were hunter-gatherer societies that worked by group-parentage and communal societies. It was only a few hundred years ago that people could be tortured in the streets for committing adultery. That's a stark difference.

And now, in the 21st century, society is changing again. There are studies that show monogamy, for an entire lifetime, is actually not only harmful to health, but an exception, not a rule, in humans. I think the figure was something like 90% of all long-term marriages have included an infidelity at some point.

My point is, social pressures and norms and customs don't always work for everyone. And it seems like our society is moving away from the idea of lifelong, committed, sacred partnership. I don't say that with any gloating, or sadness, just with matter-of-factness. That's what I see happening; society is changing.

There are consequences of that change that I don't like, and there are consequences of it that I do like. I like that I'm not being pressured to get married and have kids like I would have been 50 years ago. I dislike that sometimes partners make me feel as though they're only as faithful as their options.

Society will never be absolutely perfect. If it were a totally sexually closed-off, repressed religious society, there would still be things I like, and things I dislike.

Aug 12, 2015
How about using the biblical definition, instead of the modern definition? After all, God is awful! He really is, once we take away the modern definition of that word.

Biblical words for lust and what they mean.
Passionate desire, is the definition in the lexicon. It's not really that different, if we use it in a sexual context. Passionate sexual desire is necessary for a good marriage.

A

atwhatcost

Passionate desire, is the definition in the lexicon. It's not really that different, if we use it in a sexual context. Passionate sexual desire is necessary for a good marriage.
I have passionate desire for raspberries. That's not sin, unless I steal someone else's raspberries. I have passionate desire to write. It is not sin, unless I steal another writer's words and pretend they're mine or I use it to hurt. I have passionate desire for helping others. (Ummm, that's just not sin. :confused:) I have passionate desire for God and he has passionate desire for his people. (Um. No downside to that either. :eek:)

If everyone would get off the sinful side of the word, it's really a wonderful word.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
I would conclude that our social structure is the problem then (if people are resisting against it, it isn't what all people want). Society moves and changes. It was only a few thousand years ago when we were hunter-gatherer societies that worked by group-parentage and communal societies. It was only a few hundred years ago that people could be tortured in the streets for committing adultery. That's a stark difference.

And now, in the 21st century, society is changing again. There are studies that show monogamy, for an entire lifetime, is actually not only harmful to health, but an exception, not a rule, in humans. I think the figure was something like 90% of all long-term marriages have included an infidelity at some point.

My point is, social pressures and norms and customs don't always work for everyone. And it seems like our society is moving away from the idea of lifelong, committed, sacred partnership. I don't say that with any gloating, or sadness, just with matter-of-factness. That's what I see happening; society is changing.

There are consequences of that change that I don't like, and there are consequences of it that I do like. I like that I'm not being pressured to get married and have kids like I would have been 50 years ago. I dislike that sometimes partners make me feel as though they're only as faithful as their options.

Society will never be absolutely perfect. If it were a totally sexually closed-off, repressed religious society, there would still be things I like, and things I dislike.
Welcome to CC, and thank you for your very thoughtful reply. People are still being stoned to death for adultery in some societies. I agree that people need to be free to find out for themselves as opposed to being forced to choose something on pain of death if refused. One of the points I wish to make is that we live in a fallen world, and people are sometimes not only confused but deceived by the array of choices put before them, and not only that, but peer pressure to live your life free of perceived constraints- to act in rebellion as if somehow this act of rebellion makes you free, is just another snare. Sex outside of marriage is an excellent example because the social burden of raising so many fatherless children has become great, and further contributes to the breakdown of society with a corresponding increase in crime rates. They chose wrong, and it contributes to the landslide of people making likewise ill-advised choices in the name of freedom. They did not choose freedom, though. They were deceived and snared by their lust.

V

VioletReigns

Lust means "I want what I want!" It's allowing our flesh to control us.

1Jo 2:16 - For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

Lust is anything that arouses our flesh to pursue (in thought, looks or actions) anything that takes our eyes off of Jesus Christ. We are crucified with Him and no longer live to satisfy our flesh.

Marriage, on the other hand, is God's gift to us in that men are encouraged to be ravished (intoxicated, enraptured) with the love of their wives and to be satisfied with her body. Women are created to respond to husbands who intensely desire them like that. Husbands and wives are instructed to not withhold that love and desire from each other.

As for physical attraction, if that is the basis of your relationship, it will ultimately wane as the novelty always wears off. To be valued for your outward is a fleeting and fickle dilemma. Whatever you do to attract someone to you, you will have to keep doing (and improving upon) to maintain that attraction. And you will have to compete against those who are more attractive than you.

There's no doubt about it that people should be attracted to each other. But if the outward is more important to you, than you set yourself up for disappointment.

Again though, lust is not only regarding sexual desire outside of marriage, but it's being controlled by the flesh regarding pride, greed, hatred, revenge, gluttony, anything that puts Jesus aside to get what we want.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2009
I have multiple friends come to me lately about lust issues as well as asking me can it ever be good to lust.

I'm sure this has always been an issue among generations but feel today this is worse with the media and easy access to so many impure things. The lack of sensitivity and value to it all, as well as Bible principals on the issues of lust, sex, etc.

I feel lust is always destructive and selfish, that it is in many ways the opposite of love. Being impatience, unkind, envious, lies, self-seeking, rude etc. and the heart sin to sexual immortality.

So...... really just wanting to see what others think of lust and what it means and is it ever good? I'm also curious on purity, and how you would define it? Such would having lustful imaginations be considered impure to you, what does the bible say on these things.

Thanks for your opinions and scriptures before hand, ML :)
1 Corinthians 12:27-31 (KJV) [SUP]27 [/SUP]Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular. [SUP]28 [/SUP]And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues. [SUP]29 [/SUP]Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles? [SUP]30 [/SUP]Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret? [SUP]31 [/SUP]But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.

1 Corinthians 14:39 (KJV) Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues.

If only christians did.

S

Sirk

Just in prayer? Action works too. (And this time not just keeping in the bedroom.) I know hubby lust after me when he makes French toast with homemade peach topping,(uugggghhhh, drooldrooldrooll lol) when he gives me a sample of a sausage he just made, when he leans over too long to break that rusty spot in the old grill, so I can get it out of the back yard, and when we compete to carry cases of soda so the other doesn't get hurt lugging the heavy load.

He does the vast majority of things for my pleasure. He lust in action... just like we lust in action for God.

Lol...I hear you. I guess what I mean is that in our prayer life we should ask for an attitude towards our spouse that manifests itself in loving actions towards them which in my case translates to scaring the dog off the bed on a fairly frequent basis. Lol

M

MyLighthouse

I guess the whole concept of lust is just confusing for me to understand. I'm asexual so I don't have those feelings toward anyone and was just going by what I thought when explaining.

I really appreciate all the comments and scriptures, it has really help me see the Biblical perspective on lust and I don't see it as I did before. Thanks bros and sisters, learning and growing in the Lord :)

A

atwhatcost

I guess the whole concept of lust is just confusing for me to understand. I'm asexual so I don't have those feelings toward anyone and was just going by what I thought when explaining.

I really appreciate all the comments and scriptures, it has really help me see the Biblical perspective on lust and I don't see it as I did before. Thanks bros and sisters, learning and growing in the Lord :)
Noooo? You don't have lust for chocolate? Nor raspberries? :eek:

How about God?

How about your pet? I never met anyone without a passionate desire over something. It's really not all that different with lusting after a person, except, of course, there isn't ever going to be any communication with raspberries except -- yum yum yum yum yum. :D

K

Kaycie

Lust is desire void of love, but full of selfish indulgence in sensual pleasures. Lust is never good because it has nothing from God in it.

Last edited:
A

atwhatcost

Lust is desire void of love, but full of selfish indulgence in sensual pleasures. Lust is never good because it has nothing from God in it.
Actually, it's not that. I already gave the definition of the word the scriptures used. Love can be, and should be, in the lust.