Major misconception: What is legalism and what's not legalism.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jan 19, 2013
Elin said:
Well, now that I'm been reminded of the Scriptural location of the incident in question, there are several things to note about it:

First of all, Paul was exercising his principle of Ro 14:1-8--regarding those whose faith was weak in their fondness for the shadows when the substance/reality of the shadows had come--in not commanding that Jews abandon the ceremonial law, including food sacrificed to idols.
yes, it seems that Paul and James don't tell Jewish believers not to keep the law...
Yes, they accommodated the weak faith of those with a fondness for the shadows in the law when the reality of them was now here. . .

Jan 19, 2013
and as yahshua says, everyone who is grafted in is Jewish, everyone who is a Jew inwardly is a Jew, not those who are Jewish outwardly are all, and likewise all who are circumcized of heart, not of the flesh.

so simple when yahweh says so and does it.
The olive tree of God's one people, the body of Christ, included only descendants of Abraham until the time of Christ, when it also included Gentiles, where no distinction is made between them (Gal 3:26-29), all are one in Christ and on the same footing with God.

Jan 19, 2013
my point in the post was about Jewish believers keeping the law... are you saying that Jewish believers were or weren't keeping the law? or something else?
I am saying
"Nor did the regulations Paul took to Antioch include prohibition of unclean foods according to the Mosaic law" and nothing more.

Dan_473

Mar 11, 2014
I am saying
"Nor did the regulations Paul took to Antioch include prohibition of unclean foods according to the Mosaic law" and nothing more.
hmm, I can't figure out how it relates to what I was talking about... I'll have to consider it as a 'does not follow' case... unless you want to explain more, (and please do)... blessings!

Dan_473

Mar 11, 2014
True, but not all who descended from Judah are truly Jewish
what word do you use for those folks who go to synagogues, and the more zealous ones have those strange haircuts?

Jan 19, 2013
Elin said:
True, but not all who descended from Judah are truly Jewish.
what word do you use for those folks who go to synagogues, and the more zealous ones have those strange haircuts?
Don't know any. . .don't have any word. . ."folks" works for me.

Dan_473

Mar 11, 2014
how about the people who go to mosques, and try to make pilgrimages to mecca... do you have any word for them?

Dan_473

Mar 11, 2014
also, of course, it's fine if you don't want to have a word for a people group... myself, I think it aids in communication...

for example, most of the world will understand this: 'about six million people died in WW II in Nazi concentration camps, most of them Jews'...
if we just say 'folks', most people will wonder what the characteristics of the killed ones were... or if it was just random...

Jan 19, 2013
also, of course, it's fine if you don't want to have a word for a people group... myself, I think it aids in communication...

for example, most of the world will understand this: 'about six million people died in WW II in Nazi concentration camps, most of them Jews'...
if we just say 'folks', most people will wonder what the characteristics of the killed ones were... or if it was just random...
Agreed. . .