Making an Image of God Misleading?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
O

oOfallen_angelOo

I noticed the 2nd commandment ( Exodus 20) says not to make an image of anything in Heaven or on Earth.

Jesus is in heaven, from heaven, divine - God basically.

A lot of artist have drawn up pictures of Jesus which made for the stereotypical long haired white dude; there is also the cross which I would say could be an idol.

The cross takes on divine meaning and is directly related to God / Jesus, or else it would not be revered or perpetuated by Christianity at all.

It's one of the biggest physical symbols, but God warned against this in Moses's times because this is what pagan worshippers did with their gods; they made objects as symbolism of them, because obviously their gods / goddesses weren't real. God pretty much said there was no need for physical manifestations made of wood and fine stones - hence why the 2nd commandment was established in the first place. I mean, it's obviously not the same as the first commandment or else it would not have been repeated.

I figure that an image of God such as the cross actually comes to mislead people it seems. Anyone can throw a cross around their neck and say they are holy but are they really? I mention this because I figure a figure like the anti - christ would win people over by using a crucifix because people wouldn't be suspect of him - perhaps even believing him to be prophet of God. Since it is technically an image of God or revered like one, then it violates the second commandment, and thus even the devil could wear one because it's not holy at all.

What always creeped me out is the fact that the cross was used to kill Jesus Christ; it's like wearing the knife your parent was killed with in a way.

There's a happening in the OT too where God told the people to build a bronze snake, and when they looked at the statue they would not be bitten and killed by the plague of snakes God brought onto them. However, even after this came to pass, the people still constructed the bronze snake and revered it, saying it was to commemorate God's power at that time. God told one of his prophets to destroy the snake statue which he called an idol even though it was in his name.

The crucifix is the same it seems - people construct it to symbolize God and commemorate Jesus's death which that whole thing was an act of Father's power. Nowadays, every church I've seen has these gigantic crosses on them. My old church had a huge one behind the pastor's podeium.

I've thought about this a lot lately, and ended up throwing out all my crucifixes - even a really nice rosary a priest " blessed " and gave to me a while ago.

What can honestly symbolize our God though? A little wooden or metal t - shaped thing?

No one even knows what Jesus Christ really looked like; all it takes is for some false prophet to come waltzing about with long hair and a white robe and everyone's going to be bowing at his feet.

Not to mention that there are already false prophets amongst us who sport crucifixes and swing the bible around that many believe to be true prophets of God.

Idk.

A lot of false prophets have come about lately, some with the audacity to call themselves Jesus Christ -

But God was already ahead of the game of course, as Jesus proclaimed that the 2nd coming Christ would have a new name and do specific things in Jesus's name that no false prophet would care to do because it isn't flashy or will appeal to the sinful natures of the people to truly catch their interest...

Look beyond the crucifix dangling about someone's neck I would say. Vampires are the best example ha ha, they are suppose to be demons or something like that, and some of them wore crucifixes for fun :p

Guess it works the same way - bible does say the wolves will come in sheep's clothing...

Sep 8, 2012
This is exactly right.
Exodus 20:22,23 (KJV)
22 And the Lord said unto Moses, Thus thou shalt say unto the children of Israel, Ye have seen that I have talked with you from heaven.
23 Ye shall not make with me gods of silver, neither shall ye make unto you gods of gold.

T

Trax

The cross takes on divine meaning and is directly related to God / Jesus, or else it would not be revered or perpetuated by Christianity at all.

What always creeped me out is the fact that the cross was used to kill Jesus Christ; it's like wearing the knife your parent was killed with in a way.

Mat 10:38 And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.
The cross isn't the issue, but one's view point of it. The sacrifices order by God pointed toward
the coming Christ and what He would do. The cross points back as a memorial to what He did.
The cross doesn't just point to Him dying, but suffering for hours, for OUR sake. You see, that was
OUR cross. It was meant for us. The cross isn't an item of devine nature but a reminder of, He took
my place there.

U

Ugly

ESV 23 You shall not make gods of silver to be with me, nor shall you make for yourselves gods of gold.

NLT 3 Remember, you must not make any idols of silver or gold to rival me.

NASB 23 You shall not make other gods besides Me; gods of silver or gods of gold, you shall not make for yourselves.

KJV Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.

Graven image -
Noun
A carved idol or representation of a god used as an object of worship.

In context, it says not to make these images as objects of worship, not that making them, in and of itself is wrong. Otherwise it would be wrong to paint, scuplt, carve, or create almost any image at all.

Sep 8, 2012
The stauron was a pole, not a cross. (Look it up in any greek new testament)

The 't' was brought in by the Chaldean high priests who worshiped the queen of heaven -(Semiramis);
and her reincarnated son of Nimrod - Tammuz. - (thus the 'T')

Thus pagans like 'Black Sabbath' and Madonna wear the 't' for protection.
- - - - See why God didn't want symbols?

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2009
One only needs to watch a horror movie with a priest in it to see how some put glory in a cross. The first thing the guy does is grab the cross around his neck like a good luck charm or a spiritual weapon. That has set the pace for years showing people by "example" how to use it. Many people wear them like they are a good luck charm given by God. I don't wear one. I don't want one. If I have to wear a cross to show people I'm a Christian, then I'm not much of a Christian to begin with.

P

progressivenerdgirl

I don't think one should depict God on objects of worship. As a casual analogical image in, say, a religious painting, I have no objection. Nobody is claiming to know what God looks like by symbolizing him with an old man, and as long as you are not worshiping at the foot of the plaster it is not a 'graven image'.

Oct 31, 2011
I think God, our triune God, is divine. Anytime we make anything at all earthly as a symbol of the divine we are not honoring the divine nature of God. God says don’t do it, so it seems simple to me. Just don’t do it.

tribesman

Oct 13, 2011
The incarnation would indicate a possibility to depict the divine, however NOT a cloak to worship the works of men's hands (or minds).

John.1

[14] And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth

T

texan4Jesus

I've been told NOT to put any human-like pics of what we assume Jesus looks like in my home. Do we truly know what He looked like? IMHO it doesn't matter what He looks like, what matters is what He did on the cross for our sins. Just my thoughts.

P

progressivenerdgirl

I've been told NOT to put any human-like pics of what we assume Jesus looks like in my home. Do we truly know what He looked like? IMHO it doesn't matter what He looks like, what matters is what He did on the cross for our sins. Just my thoughts.
You're right that we don't know what he looked like (aside from being 'well formed' in body), and you're right that it doesn't matter, but that is precisely why there's no harm in a casual representation. Just don't pray to your pictures! To represent Jesus is not to claim special knowledge of his appearance.