Manliness explained through the man-hug

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
P

Perk

This is the American Man Hug. Clasped hands, with a pat on the back (never to exceed two pats).

K

kayem77

It's funny to know that men have their own communication systems haha. I use the traditional handshake for people that I just met in a rush, and I usually use the ''American Man(Woman) Hug'' for everyone (and a kiss on the cheek). I do the international hug with close friends :)

J

Jullianna

I like the cellphone commercial where the man and his son go in to get the son a cellphone for college. It has subtitles to explain the sentiments to women. :) Apparently elbow bumps mean "I love you". :)

Aug 2, 2009
Just for the record, I do not do man-hugs. I don't hug men either unless its a long awaited reunion or something like that.

S

simplyme_bekah

I guess it all comes down to personal space. Some touch to express how they feel ( me being one of those) and can mean nothing by it other then trying to convey how they feel without words.

P

Perk

Its awkward when you are going in for the American Man Hug and the other party is going in for the International Man Hug. lol

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
One of these days I'll figure out why men are so scared of showing affection for each other.

1still_waters

One of these days I'll figure out why men are so scared of showing affection for each other.
I think in general, it may be because again, as a general rule, men know what an abomination homosexuality is, so they do their best to stay away from any resemblance to it.

Again, that statement is made about things in general. I'm sure there are a guzliian shades of nuances and 'what if this?' things that don't apply.

A

adekruif

I believe I had my man-card revoked for stating the exact reason why. :p

I think part of it is due to the fact that the media/Hollywood portrays men as being buff, built, and nothing hurts them, they are a machine.....and so as a culture we ''adapt'' to what the media/Hollywood is portraying to us.

S

SoTxSpartan

This is the American Man Hug. Clasped hands, with a pat on the back (never to exceed two pats).
^ that is what me and my friends do but instead of traditional hand shake its the "bro" 4 finger clasp shake. We have given regular hugs to each other from time to time. If its somebody new I meet around my age either a regular hand shake or 4 finger clasp shake, an older person its just a regular hand shake.

J

Jullianna

(Why is Stilly doing his laundry in here? haha)

Does anyone else hate that fakey smoochie face thing? Male or female? I hate that....*shivers* I'm a very affectionate person, but that seems so plastic to me.

Aug 2, 2009
(Why is Stilly doing his laundry in here? haha)

Does anyone else hate that fakey smoochie face thing? Male or female? I hate that....*shivers* I'm a very affectionate person, but that seems so plastic to me.
You mean like the way french people do it? Yea I don't like it either. Its even worse when they do the variation of holding each other at arms length and smooching the air between them.

But you do have to give the french kudos for that one type of kiss which I won't describe.

AsifinPassing

Jul 13, 2010
Well, in this world of mixed sexual orientations...perhaps some (*straight) men just worry how it may come across or be misconstrued.

I don't let this hold me back personally, but my best friend and I have been questioned once or twice due to our closeness and comfort around each other.

In a way, it's quite sad this is the case, but what can you do? Anyway...as long as you don't kiss me or anything like that (I'm DEFINITELY NOT THAT AFFECTIONATE)... we should be cool.

Tommy Boy - Brothers Gotta Hug - YouTube

If you're wondering...I"m the Chris Farley of this scene.

P

Perk

^ that is what me and my friends do but instead of traditional hand shake its the "bro" 4 finger clasp shake. We have given regular hugs to each other from time to time. If its somebody new I meet around my age either a regular hand shake or 4 finger clasp shake, an older person its just a regular hand shake.
Ahh with the 4 finger bro clasp? I think that may be the Modified American Man-Hug

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
Because unless a man is gay, its just... eww!!!
I would say the converse is the truth, if a man IS gay then it's disgusting.

Does anyone else hate that fakey smoochie face thing?
I don't think I've ever had someone do the "fakey smoochie face thing" to me, but I've seen plenty of ladies do it. I say either kiss the cheek or don't.....that half way stuff is just weird.

Well, in this world of mixed sexual orientations...perhaps some (*straight) men just worry how it may come across or be misconstrued.
Maybe we're just a little odd then Reece. I've never had an issue with showing affection to another man that I am close to. Yeah, I understand that some men are concerned that someone who doesn't know them may wonder about their sexual orientation, but I'm secure enough in my masculinity and my heterosexuality that I don't care what other people think. Actually my Dad drives me nuts because he won't go beyond an "American Man Hug" with me, and I'm his son.