Marriage, abstinence, and your calling.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
May 5, 2013
So I was thinking about how it says some will find a spouse, but some have a higher calling, and may live single throughout their life to fulfil this calling, I think Paul talks about this. This doesnt quite make sense to me, is it a time management thing? Will a spouse just take up too much time?

One of the requirement to be a pastor in many cases is you have a successful marriage correct?
Isnt a pastor the highest calling?

What than would be your calling if you were meant to live a life of abstinence?

Hope the question made sense.

Oct 6, 2012
I am single and staying that way!

I don't know whether it was a calling to be single as Paul said or whether it is the fact that I will never work a female out as long as I live and prefer the stress free life!
A single person is always free to give himself 100% whereas a married person has to share himself between Christ and his partner.

May 5, 2013
True but a spouse shouldnt be a hindrance, if you have a spouse she/he can help you in your purpose for God correct?
2 are better than 1.

Can I get some amens from some married couples? or am I going to get ''no, run while you can?'' XD

Oct 6, 2012
Also, I do not go in for all this "Higher calling" stuff.
He has a will for everyone, if you do it, you are where He wants you to be. If not then you are not living the best He has for you. Whether that be Pastor, Healer or sat at a checkout in a supermarket. Christ needs people everywhere.

Oct 6, 2012
True but a spouse shouldnt be a hindrance, if you have a spouse she/he can help you in your purpose for God correct?
2 are better than 1.
Two can be better than one. But never knowing that way, if it happened, it would be a hindrance to me. I cannot imagine anything but being single.

May 5, 2013
what about kids pilgrim? no desire?
'Go forth and MAKE disciples'' I take that verse literally XD:D

Joking aside, I see where you are comming from.

Oct 6, 2012
what about kids pilgrim? no desire?
'Go forth and MAKE disciples'' I take that verse literally XD:D

Joking aside, I see where you are comming from.
Nice little play on the scripture there! :)
Nope, no desire. If you are supposed to be single then all desire for Children, Sex, Relationships is taken.
I had a few relationships with women before I became a Christian and it isn't my life.
To me, a heart in the hands of God is safe, but in the hands of a woman is sick. They can toss you in every direction dependent on their mood for the day.
They make you feel 10 years younger, then they add 20 years to your age in a day.

May 5, 2013
Wow pilgrimuk, wow.
I notice the married couples are biting their tongues? waiting for your spouse to leave the room to post your feelings on the matter? XD

K

Kerry

I Know that all of the Patriarchs were married and most of the prophets. Bible doesn't say about John the baptist and not sure about the Apostles except Paul. Paul does say that is not good for a man to touch a women, but better to marry than to burn with desire. I believe that Paul had no time for a wife and further more the task that God had given him was great that the love of a women would have been a distraction. I'm trying to say that satan would have attacked her to bring sorrow, bitterness and so on to Paul's life. Remember, he was traveling for years. Shipwrecked, stoned and left for dead, prisoner many times and beheaded. Not much of a life for a wife.
On the other hand a wife, or spouse, can be a source of encouragement. Also a voice that God can speak through and we are commanded to multiply and fill the earth. Proverbs say's that children are as arrows in the hand of a warrior and blessed is the man who's quiver is full. So I think it just depends on your personality and the walk that God has purposed for you. He is a personal God and we are not all created the same. Thank God !!!

Oct 31, 2011
Sex is a powerful primal drive that some people can convert into a drive for the Lord. It is a rare person who can do this, who never finds someone they feel they need to unite with in marriage. I am positive that God blesses the person who does this.

Dec 25, 2012
[h=3]1 Corinthians 7[/h]New King James Version (NKJV)

[h=3]Principles of Marriage[/h]7 Now concerning the things of which you wrote to me:
It is good for a man not to touch a woman. 2 Nevertheless, because of sexual immorality, let each man have his own wife, and let each woman have her own husband. 3 Let the husband render to his wife the affection due her, and likewise also the wife to her husband.4 The wife does not have authority over her own body, but the husband does. And likewise the husband does not have authority over his own body, but the wife does. 5 Do not deprive one another except with consent for a time, that you may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again so that Satan does not tempt you because of your lack of self-control. 6 But I say this as a concession, not as a commandment. 7 For I wish that all men were even as I myself. But each one has his own gift from God, one in this manner and another in that.
8 But I say to the unmarried and to the widows: It is good for them if they remain even as I am; 9 but if they cannot exercise self-control, let them marry. For it is better to marry than to burn with passion.

Basically this says those who have no self-control should marry. If you are blessed and can live your life devoted to God and not marry then great. Not to agree with what is being said about women by some people, because there are men who are horrible in relationships too. We should not lump everyone in one category. I believe if the right person came along and if it's in God's will then even the person who has vowed to be 'single' will rethink their decision.

Anyways, I don't believe its a time management problem. It's that most of us have a need for a companion and as put here, no self-control. There is so much more to say but I'm keeping it light.

God Bless!

K

Kerry

I'm not saying that Paul didn't have time for a wife. Anything is possible for God, but could you imagine, in our finite minds, how this woman would be attacked by satan. Trying to get at Paul. Much like the mafia, they don't attack you, but your family. They say I am not going to kill you, but your wife and kids.

G

Graybeard

Isnt a pastor the highest calling?
Pastors are probably lower down in "the order" Apostles being first...

Eph 4:11 And He Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers,