Marriage/Divorce

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Poinsetta

Nov 24, 2018
Mat_5:28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.
Mat_5:32 But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.
Mat_19:9 And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

can someone clarify these verses in your own words? Are these people married? What about Fornication. I need context for these also asking for a friend :). Thankyou.

Feb 28, 2016
well Poin,
there are only two kinds of marriage =
a marriage of and from the 'world', or
'a True Marriage from Jesus, Yeshua,
an Holy Marriage, you know, the one
that is worthy to wear 'the white-dress'...

presidente

May 29, 2013
Mat_5:28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.
Mat_5:32 But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.
Mat_19:9 And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

can someone clarify these verses in your own words? Are these people married? What about Fornication. I need context for these also asking for a friend :). Thankyou.
There are different opinions on these verses. Some would argue that the exception clause in Matthew 19, 'except it be for fornication' in Greek actually means 'setting aside the issue of fornication'-- that He is not addressing the issue one way or another. That would bring it in line with the other passages that give similar quotes but do not contain the exception clause.

Another interpretation is that it uses 'fornication' to refer to cases where a woman is married off as a virgin, but she was not prior. If this was discovered in the Old Testament, she could be executed by stoning. Jews in the first century, for whatever reason (possibly Roman law?) might have handled this by divorce. Joseph was considering putting away Mary before he had a revelatory dream about Jesus.

Another interpretation is that 'fornication' refers to a broad array of sexual sins, including the sins of Leviticus 18. Acts 15 says to abstain from fornication, and the underlying assumption may be to list things the Old Testament implies are sin for Gentiles, like Leviticus 18 does about sexual immorality and Genesis 9 does with not eating the lifeblood. Adultery is included in Leviticus 18 sins.

I do not think the intention of Matthew 5:28 is designed as a verse to give permission to divorce a man who looks on a woman to covet her, or to give a man to divorce his wife for looking with lust, either. This is a sin of the heart, something that God can seeand judge. Matthew 19:9 is about a man divorcing his wife, not a woman divorcing her husband. The Old Testament, under discussion in these passages, did not authorize a woman to divorce her husband.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
can someone clarify these verses in your own words? Are these people married? What about Fornication. I need context for these also asking for a friend
Those words were addressed to a general audience, and most of them would have been married men. The term *fornication* can also be applied to adultery, so what Jesus was teaching is that (1) even looking at other women with lust is internal adultery or fornication (applicable to all whether married or single) and (2) divorce is permissible for only one reason -- adultery/fornication by the offending spouse (applicable to married people).

Poinsetta

Nov 24, 2018
Those words were addressed to a general audience, and most of them would have been married men. The term *fornication* can also be applied to adultery, so what Jesus was teaching is that (1) even looking at other women with lust is internal adultery or fornication (applicable to all whether married or single) and (2) divorce is permissible for only one reason -- adultery/fornication by the offending spouse (applicable to married people).
#2 seems very clear to me thankyou.

Nov 25, 2019
It's all related to lust and pride which are deadly sins.