Marriage, Male and Female, and Dominance/Submissiveness

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Mar 8, 2013
Hi, I have a question or three for anyone who has studied more than one religion (even be it Abrahamic) in their lives. Someone who has preferably studied humanity's history, someone who has read more than just our canonic bible (apocrypha, lost books) or just anyone that can give a reasonable answer, with cause and effect, reason, and apply it to modern times;

What constitutes a marriage?

Why?

How did it come about, for what reason?

And is there any truth to the story of Lilith?

C

carey

I haven't done much study of other religion's other than Christian, Jehovah's witness, and Catholic,
Here's what I can tell you
Marriage is instituted by God, it is a holy and honerable contract, God uses marriage when speaking to Israel and the backslider. Lillith is a demon, she is presently a wiccan goddess, she was also a pagan goddess, the myth of her being the first wife of Adam is complete rubbish! Adam had only one wife, Eve
Hope this helps some

A

Ariel82

wow that is a long list... I guess I qualify. lol even if I didn't I probably tell you what I was thinking anyway. I've studied Buddhism, Hinduism, Native American religions, Judaism, and some others... its part of getting a religious studies degree from the university, though I use my Biology major more nowadays................
Hi, I have a question or three for anyone who has studied more than one religion (even be it Abrahamic) in their lives. Someone who has preferably studied humanity's history, someone who has read more than just our canonic bible (apocrypha, lost books) or just anyone that can give a reasonable answer, with cause and effect, reason, and apply it to modern times;

What constitutes a marriage?
well you could have the legal term for marriage, the social convention, the Spiritual definition or the Biblical definition.........For me marriage is the joining of two lives by God in both physical and spiritual union. ..you have common law marriage where you are considered married after living together for seven years... you have legal marriage where you get tax discounts and can put one another on your insurance..............
Why?

How did it come about, for what reason?
. Some marry for economical reasons, to be able to support a family, etc. However I believe God gave us marriage so that we would not have to go through life alone. I believe our spouses complete us and balance us. Because God told us in Genesis that He created Eve to be a helper and companion to Adam and that they are to become one flesh. ........
And is there any truth to the story of Lilith?
she is a demon, but not Adam's first wife....she wants worshipers and followers, like any "god/goddess" who are really demons in the first place.

not sure if that is what you are looking for but that's my best shot right now :) hope you are having a pleasant afternoon :)

Mar 8, 2013
Thank you Ariel, the BuddhiHindApaJew.

I've heard different stories. I guess, at the basic level, it's the commitment between two people, and those two who commit, who consummate their commitment as a signal of 'giving' to one another, with some form of commitment 'gift' (ring, giving up of old life, buying a house, signing a document, whatever it may be).

But today, the sex is more for the receiving. As are relationships. Which is sad in itself considering a relationship where one or both people are always 'expecting' and 'wanting to receive' means that inevitably, they both end up disappointed or at a disadvantage.

So here ye, here ye, I do decree, it's better for two people to be giving and not thinking about receiving.

U

ukkez

iv never heard of Lilith, were has she come from??

A

Ariel82

Well when my husband and I got married we did so with the understanding that we were giving our bodies in the other person's care. We no longer owned our own bodies but that of our spouse... now that I say it to someone else I can see how it might seem kind of strange, but we base it off these scriptures. :)
[h=3]1 Corinthians 7[/h]
7 Now concerning the things of which you wrote to me:
It is good for a man not to touch a woman. [SUP]2 [/SUP]Nevertheless, because of sexual immorality, let each man have his own wife, and let each woman have her own husband. [SUP]3 [/SUP]Let the husband render to his wife the affection due her, and likewise also the wife to her husband. [SUP]4 [/SUP]The wife does not have authority over her own body, but the husband does. And likewise the husband does not have authority over his own body, but the wife does. [SUP]5 [/SUP]Do not deprive one another except with consent for a time, that you may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again so that Satan does not tempt you because of your lack of self-control. [SUP]6 [/SUP]But I say this as a concession, not as a commandment
........so we are given authority over one another and love and care for the other's happiness and well being over our own and they do the same.

A

Ariel82

iv never heard of Lilith, were has she come from??
mythology and stories.... some claim she was Adam's first wife but because she was so independent and not willing to submit to Adam's authority, God cast her out and made Adam a better wife in Eve. I think its lies but then you have the Roman gods and their mythology as well...you can always research what people say about her by just typing Lilith in a search engine. it is like research Aphrodite or another pagan goddess.

Oct 31, 2011
I studied other religions and history as they explain it only to the point of determining that our scripture does truly explain our world and men's ideas got mixed in with other explanations. Once my explorations determined that, I concentrated on knowing what that scripture says about our world.

God created marriage, almost the first thing God did after the fall. Adam first was both male and female, and when he needed a helper and companion a part of him was taken to create a female for him.

There seems to be a real division between our understanding being we are in the flesh, and spiritual understanding. We can only vaguely understand the spiritual and God often uses symbols to get it through to our understanding. Sex is one of those symbols. Marriage includes sex, and the spiritual part of that is "the two became one". To understand the full importance of that takes being alive spiritually. It includes a lot from how we understand including love, sharing, respect, and even things of God that we don't have words in our language to express.

A

Anna20fAustralia

I'm not sure what is meant by the dominance/submissiveness in the headline. Please explain anyone?

A

Ariel82

I'm not sure what is meant by the dominance/submissiveness in the headline. Please explain anyone?
sorry its hard to answer what is meant by the title, since the OP is no longer with us.

S

Saved_Forever

Sounds like an Islamic marriage to me. Wives are supposed to be submissive.