Marriage troubles... looking for strength

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
T

twinmomplusone

I feel your pain. I just had twins 4 months ago, and have a two year old an found out my husband was having a relationship from around the time I gave birth to our twins until first of Jan. He says its not going on anymore, but says he doesn't love me anymore either. He says he'll "try" to make it work, but his heart doesn't seem in it. He can't stand my touch, or me telling him that I love him. I have prayed more than I have ever prayed before. My husband is Jewish and I am a Christian, and I am wondering now if our marriage can ever work. If husbands are supposed to love their wives as Christ loved the church, how will he ever fulfill that? One thing I know is that this person I live with now is not my husband - satan has gotten control of his heart and he is winning.

E

emptymailbag

I feel your pain. I just had twins 4 months ago, and have a two year old an found out my husband was having a relationship from around the time I gave birth to our twins until first of Jan. He says its not going on anymore, but says he doesn't love me anymore either. He says he'll "try" to make it work, but his heart doesn't seem in it. He can't stand my touch, or me telling him that I love him. I have prayed more than I have ever prayed before. My husband is Jewish and I am a Christian, and I am wondering now if our marriage can ever work. If husbands are supposed to love their wives as Christ loved the church, how will he ever fulfill that? One thing I know is that this person I live with now is not my husband - satan has gotten control of his heart and he is winning.
You are right... the pain is immense. THE hardest thing that a married couple will endure, should they ever have the misfortune of going through it. I honestly felt as though my wife, similar to your husband, was NOT who I married. She said and did things that were so far out of character for her that I felt less than unloved... I felt as though I was... tolerated.

I do pray that things work out between your husband and you, and I know that they can, because my wife and I are living proof of God's healing hand. It WILL NOT be easy, and the road may smooth out for a bit, but IT WILL become rocky again. A Christian Counselor is crucial to finding those "boundaries" and getting the issues to the surface that caused the marriage to be jeopardized.

There HAS to be accountability for the one who stepped out on the marriage, as well as accountability for the one who did not, because BOTH people had a part to play in the fall of one. That was a hard one for me to stomach. I needed it all to be blamed on the man my wife cheated on me with, because in my mind my wife couldn't willingly do it. Once I came to grips with both he and my wife were to blame, I could then look to see what I did that pushed her to that point of needing someone else. That is where my healing began... recognizing that I needed to be who she married, not who I had allowed myself to become.

It will not be fun, nor will it be even remotely enjoyable... but the end result of a marriage that is starting to be healed... THAT is worth it. You will tell yourself MANY times that it isn't worth the pain, that your spouse did this to you and NOTHING you could have ever done would justify this. You would be right, there is absolutely nothing that deserves this action, nothing that gives anyone the right to put you through something like this... but a marriage IS worth fighting for... it will take more nights than you can count on your knees praying for strength.

Be strong. Be stronger than you think you can be. Then, when you think you have reached the end of that strength... ask for more, God will provide. He is in the business of healing hearts and mending marriages... AND He has a pretty good track record from my personal experience.

Have a blessed day,
-emptymailbag

homwardbound

Oct 24, 2012
Winning yes, by and through your emotional pain. Be glad you know and it is not hidden from you. I do feel, the pain too, and it is through Emotion that enemy, steals, kills and destroys. hoping, praying you are listening to God past the pain, so you can deal with it as is not all emotionally with should of could would of's
Praying for you in this to see past, and be able to deal so that you are confident to take care of kids and self in trust beyond this world's understanding

homwardbound

Oct 24, 2012
You are right... the pain is immense. THE hardest thing that a married couple will endure, should they ever have the misfortune of going through it. I honestly felt as though my wife, similar to your husband, was NOT who I married. She said and did things that were so far out of character for her that I felt less than unloved... I felt as though I was... tolerated.

I do pray that things work out between your husband and you, and I know that they can, because my wife and I are living proof of God's healing hand. It WILL NOT be easy, and the road may smooth out for a bit, but IT WILL become rocky again. A Christian Counselor is crucial to finding those "boundaries" and getting the issues to the surface that caused the marriage to be jeopardized.

There HAS to be accountability for the one who stepped out on the marriage, as well as accountability for the one who did not, because BOTH people had a part to play in the fall of one. That was a hard one for me to stomach. I needed it all to be blamed on the man my wife cheated on me with, because in my mind my wife couldn't willingly do it. Once I came to grips with both he and my wife were to blame, I could then look to see what I did that pushed her to that point of needing someone else. That is where my healing began... recognizing that I needed to be who she married, not who I had allowed myself to become.

It will not be fun, nor will it be even remotely enjoyable... but the end result of a marriage that is starting to be healed... THAT is worth it. You will tell yourself MANY times that it isn't worth the pain, that your spouse did this to you and NOTHING you could have ever done would justify this. You would be right, there is absolutely nothing that deserves this action, nothing that gives anyone the right to put you through something like this... but a marriage IS worth fighting for... it will take more nights than you can count on your knees praying for strength.

Be strong. Be stronger than you think you can be. Then, when you think you have reached the end of that strength... ask for more, God will provide. He is in the business of healing hearts and mending marriages... AND He has a pretty good track record from my personal experience.

Have a blessed day,
-emptymailbag
Just a thought here, maybe stand in God's strength. not our own since flesh does not have enough. Just think on this wise, and be able to stand without accusations facing truth for what it is, just a thought whom is strongest of all?

E

emptymailbag

OK... another long overdue update.

This road has had some really great moments, times when I look at what has happened and wonder why I ever thought there would be difficulty. But there have been MANY moments where this road has had some VERY bad dips, turns, and unexpected broken bridges... leaving me to wonder if there is any chance of making it to the destination that Christ has lead me to believe He wants.

This last week was just such a week, where things were going fantastic for the biggest portion of a week and a half, then we get a text from our counselor asking us to postpone our session an additional week due to a family emergency our counselor was having. The session had already been explained to me by our counselor, asking me to be ready to discuss "boundaries"... and so, me being the kind of person that I am, I spent the week getting prepared. When the session had to be moved, I was in that mode and anxious, so I politely texted my wife with something that has been eating me for this past year. I say politely, because to me it was. I thought I was expressing one of the boundaries that she would easily be able to see, that was being crossed... maybe accidentally.

------------------------------
Here is the text I sent while waiting in the car for our oldest to complete his Airsoft games:
As a side note... Gonna get this off my chest, because I'm cold and bored.

I had for the longest time explained how I wanted us to go back to (destination left blank for anonymity), but we both agreed that it was pricey. I accepted that, but still wanted to plan it with us.

You then got the idea to go for your birthday, which I want you to have a good time... But I felt like you were putting you and your friends before us as a family. I never said anything, because you have been excited, but the feelings of you and your friends coming before us as a family, in light of the past few months, has really taken its toll on me.

Today with our counselor, I was getting prepared to discuss this, but seeing as how she needed to reschedule, I felt that I was just going to stew for another week before getting it off of my chest.

Your friends are important, but you and I need to work on us... they NEED to be placed on the back burner for a bit. Hopefully you can understand my point of view.
------------------------------

Now, a little back story to fill people in on the context of that conversation. This birthday trip, is one where she decided to go off with her 3 girlfriends. For this past year, my wife has been putting what I consider to be a great amount of time into her relationships with her 3 girlfriends, and yes there was the relationship with the other man as well, but that one is no longer the main issue.

Of her 3 girlfriends, 2 of them are having some pretty severe marriage issues, and both of those ladies with marriage issues have been, at least in my opinion, been assisting my wife in seeing things as hopeless rather than repairable. One of those ladies is now asking for us to possibly have her move in while she separates from her husband... which I am VERY torn over, because I feel that it would be a complete distraction from the two of us trying to repair our marriage. But anyway... Over this past year, once a month, and in some cases 3 times a month, she would go out and have what they call a "girls night out". Now, to be honest, I had encouraged her to go spend time with her friends while I was hiding my medical issues, the issues that kept me from feeling as though I could participate in those activities... but even if I were feeling up to it... the "girls night out" kind of suggests... NO GUYS.

So, for the past year or so she is out with her friends for dancing, drinks, dinners, movies and hotels roughly 20 times. For the same year or so she and I go out twice, maybe three times.

She complained last night when I brought up the frequency of building her friends relationships, as compared to working on OUR relationship... that WE have grown apart. I asked her if she thought that spending such a large amount of time with her friends, helping them through their issues, finding an escape and having a good time was helping US, or helping THEM. She refused to see that there is any trouble with what she has been doing. She got pretty upset, going on about how she works hard, 4 days a week, providing for our family (which she does... she make good money... and is the MAIN source of our income), and she feels that she deserves some "me" time. I told her that her "me" time has progressed into "not her husband" time, and THAT was the reason for us growing apart. And that seemed to start a HUGE fight.

About 2 to 3 weeks ago, while we were going through a particularly rough section, I told her that I had had enough. I was packing my bags to give her the space and time that she obviously thought she needed. While I was packing, she angrily told me that if I left, what would happen with our 3 boys, is that I would be lucky to see them every other weekend. That comment stuck with me... jarring me on a level I honestly hadn't thought of. She had in essence suggested that I was going to lose access to our children. She, the one who had stepped out on our marriage was telling me that I wouldn't be the one to raise the boys. Me, the one who stays at home with them throughout the day, homeschooling them, would be left with "visitation" rights as to her choosing. So, last night, while discussing the issue with her need to put more value on her friends than her husband... I went to a place beyond anger. I lost it. I told her that this was finally it. The value of her friends and HER time was more important that repairing OUR relationship. 2 o'clock in the morning, we are yelling at each other while I am throwing things in a bag, packing the car for me to leave. In that moment of anger, I told her something that I can never take back... and I hate myself for it. I told her that I would be filing for divorce at the first of the week, the divorce papers WILL NOT read as "irreconcilable differences" but instead WILL read as "wife had an adulterous affair", and that I would be suing for sole custody of the children. There was no way I was going to allow her to be THE one influencing our children, when SHE obviously DID NOT have the same Christian values that I thought WE shared when we married... otherwise she would not have put our marriage AND children at risk with her poor choices.

ALL of the past few months of hurt, betrayal, the lies... EVERYTHING... came out at that one time. I immediately apologized, but I could tell that the damage was done. She went in complete defensive mode. I explained that I had said it out of hurt for the things I had been stewing on when SHE had threatened to take away my access to our children, and that what I said was nothing more than lashing out for all of the issues we are going through. It was the lowest I have ever felt. That look in her eyes when she heard me lash out... how do you repair that.

We were finally able to come to a VERY thin agreement where I stay, where I COMPLETELY drop any and all discussions of the affair, and she will "try" to find a way to help me with repairing us. I told her that I wanted her to sit down with me, with our children, and explain to them that mom AND dad are going through a difficult time. BUT... we were committed to working it out. That way, the things that I know they have seen and heard, will not be such a huge worry for them. At least that was my thinking. She immediately became defensive, saying that the boys DID NOT need to know why we were having difficulties, that they NEVER needed to know what she had done. I agreed that it would be best for that to stay between us, but that we still needed to give them comfort. Problem is, she agreed to do so, but we haven't had that talk with the boys yet, even after setting the time to do it, she hasn't followed though... and honestly... I don't think she will.

It all feels so hollow... as if there is so much there that isn't there... it's very hard to explain. The emptiness, the doubt, the feelings that I am being strung along until the children are old enough to leave, EXACTLY like my parents did... it is overwhelming at times.

She has made it clear that MY inability to be there for her is what sent her to someone else, and I have been told by her AND the counselor, that I must put it in the past, that I must deal with it and get closure, and then I am to NEVER bring it up again. My difficulty is, those kinds of rigid rules DO NOT seem to be applied to my wife. She is allowed to take her time figuring things out, spend time with her friends, and NOT fill my needs of assistance in repairing us. I am lost as to how I can see this from her perspective, how in her eyes this seems to be how to repair US... whereas in my eyes... it is all about her ignoring ME.

I pray that no one EVER has to go through what we are going through. The way that it pulls a person apart at the very seams of their soul... it is truly hard to put into words. I think that this gives us a small insight as to how God must feel when we sin against Him, how it must hurt Him on a level that is beyond words to explain.

Have a blessed day,
-emptymailbag

M

Miracle

Reading ur story reminds me of message today at church.Passage from the Book of Acts 27.Moral mess.is let it be the LORD JESUS our anchor in times of severe storms.hope you are feeling fine by HIS Grace.praying for you and family.GOD bless

B

brokenclay

PRAYING for you brother. Your pain is my pain. Its hard enough sometimes to believe in yourself let alone believe
In someone who is tearing your heart out. You are the bravest man I ever met. When we get to heaven I want to meet you. And to think, brother; your wife will not have on the sinful flesh that Satan has access to. I pray that God will be as jealous for her as you are, and drive away these ungodly peopel and put the fear of God into everyone of their hearts. Praying that God will reveal his faithfulness. Amen.

homwardbound

Oct 24, 2012
Love you and you are in a Battle for control. Praying for you to be able to let go of this battle and just trust God for the right words to be free from this Battle of flesh control.
It is as if or like you are in:

[h=3]Matthew 10:16-20
[/h]Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)

[SUP]16 [/SUP]Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves. [SUP]17 [/SUP]But beware of men: for they will deliver you up to the councils, and they will scourge you in their synagogues; [SUP]18 [/SUP]and ye shall be brought before governors and kings for my sake, for a testimony against them and the Gentiles. [SUP]19 [/SUP]But when they deliver you up, take no thought how or what ye shall speak: for it shall be given you in that same hour what ye shall speak. [SUP]20 [/SUP]For it is not ye that speak, but the Spirit of your Father which speaketh in you.

TheAristocat

Oct 4, 2011
Forgive me for asking something that looks as though it has been asked many times already, but rather than reading someone else's post about marital issues, I am now faced with my own.
--------------------
Brief synopsis...
My wife and I have been married for nearly 20 years.
Yesterday I find that she has been with another man for nearly a year now.
--------------------

Why do I hurt so much?!?!?
As a Christians, we all stumble. And as a Christian, I have always leaned on the Lord for my strength. Now is the first time where I feel alone. I know that I am not, but I feel that way. I know HE hasn't abandoned me... I know it... but I just feel alone.

I told her that I forgive her, that there were no strings attached, she only needed to tell me that the relationship was over. I told her that I would not cause a scene for the family, no issues with our 3 boys, nothing for her at work (which is where she met him), no judgments, no anger... I only need closure. That seemed to be the major hang-up for her... she kept insisting that there were things that needed to be considered, his feelings to think about, that she enjoys him AND me. It really looked like it was tearing her up inside, wrestling with the thought of telling this married man that she has been friends with for years, that she was being asked to chose between her husband... and an intimate friend.

She had confided in him a great deal about our marriage, things that I was too thick to see or hear. I read the emails, the way in which he was, at least in my interpretation, manipulating the conversation to have a particular outcome... the bedroom. There were some very explicit conversations, things that make me want to be a non-Christian and corner him at his office.

I can't do that... it isn't right... it isn't what I want my 3 boys to see... I feel helpless. Any issue that I cause for him will only wreck his marriage, his business, and possibly spill over into ours. I really WANT to, I cannot tell you how badly I WANT to... but that is self-serving... only helping me through this, not "us".

And it looks like I have been just rambling on and on... clearing my mind, getting it off of my chest, and letting my heart get out from under the weight for a moment... it makes me thankful.

Have a blessed day,
-emptymailbag
Don't bother seeking vengeance. Vengeance is the Lord's. I've never been in so distressing a situation before, but I've taken some hard hits. A relative of mine as well. Told me that when his wife was committing adultery against him with another man he left his gun on the military base instead of taking it home so he didn't have blood on his hands. And now after so many years his life is improving and his wife's is in total shambles. So much so that he's felt bad for her from time to time. Vengeance is God's. He takes his time. Secrets never remain secrets forever. Just pray to be filled with love and patience. Pray that God works it out and remain true to him, my brother. Honor God and seek life. Not vengeance. I would want my life to be improved instead of tearing down someone else's. Give God a reason to help you rise above this world rather than you making this world more horrible than it is. God bless, and my heart goes out to you. I hope you will find God's guidance and wisdom.

Last edited: