Matthew 10:22

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
S

SuperstarD

In Matthew 10:22, What exactly did Jesus mean when he said "You will be hated by all because of My name"?

R

reject-tech

Here's a statement that will bring it right on home to most -

"God will save people you don't like. All of them. Every single person ever born, no exceptions, no matter what your preacher says or what you think or have been taught the bible says."

Feel it boiling? lol.

mystdancer50

Feb 26, 2012
It means that when you stand for Him, you will be rejected by this world, for He Himself was rejected, mocked and killed. Do you notice that you can use any other name and not receive the kind of response you do when you say His name, the Name above all names?

In other words, if you choose Christ as He has chosen you, you will be hated as He was hated.

M

MaggieMye

The name of Jesus, the CONCEPT of Jesus (He being the Son of God and God Himself) rubs those in the world the wrong way. Christ stands for LOVE and righteousness, truth and honesty. Those in the world Hate that kind of confrontation, even though it comes with His love, because those of the world are owned by satan and he makes sure that what WE say is not what THEY hear...brings confusion, doubt and condemnation...which I must admit is usually because of over-zealous Christians trying to SAVE them, rather than LOVE them into the Kingdom.
Christians are seen as 'odd', 'weird' and even worse....but then that is how they viewed Jesus back in His day...so we are in good company.

Oct 14, 2013
Hope this help

[h=3]John 15:17-19[/h]King James Version (KJV)

17 These things I command you, that ye love one another.
18 If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you.
19 If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.

starfield

Jun 13, 2009
In Matthew 10:22, What exactly did Jesus mean when he said "You will be hated by all because of My name"?
Jesus was sending His twelve disciples to preach to the lost sheep of the house of Israel and warning them of the persecutions they would face for His sake nonetheless perseverance to the end was necessary.

Jul 26, 2013
The name of Jesus, the CONCEPT of Jesus (He being the Son of God and God Himself) rubs those in the world the wrong way. Christ stands for LOVE and righteousness, truth and honesty. Those in the world Hate that kind of confrontation, even though it comes with His love, because those of the world are owned by satan and he makes sure that what WE say is not what THEY hear...brings confusion, doubt and condemnation...which I must admit is usually because of over-zealous Christians trying to SAVE them, rather than LOVE them into the Kingdom.
Christians are seen as 'odd', 'weird' and even worse....but then that is how they viewed Jesus back in His day...so we are in good company.
No they're not seen as 'odd' or 'weird'. They are mocked however because most of them by ignorance are hypocrites.

I'm not trying to argue but I am honest about what I see. The effort to please God is not what they mock, but if Jesus' disciples has to pay rent, light and gas along with satan's followers, then of what difference can one make of another?

Two masters cannot be served. It is either God or mammon.

T

tdrew777

In the immediate grammatical context, being hated by all (or by all men) sets the condition - endurance to the end. Those who meet that condition - endure until the end - will find themselves in a blessed state - salvation. Therefore, the emphasis of the verse is on the condition -endurance.
In the context of Matthew 10, the disciples are being sent out preach the Kingdom of heaven, complete with signs and wonders, in Jewish (and only Jewish) villages. They are conscious that their preaching will restore Israel to it's intended position in God's economy. However, they consistently perceived a political dimension to this restoration of Israel that had no place in God's economy. Jesus, therefore, reminds them that all men (in this case they are being sent only to Jewish men) will be against them. They will not be well received by those they had come to bless. This rejection will produce the need for endurance, salvation will belong to those who endure.
In the context of the teachings of the entire bible, salvation is by grace through faith. And the faith itself is a gift of GOd, not a work that some men can produce and others can not. Therefore, the verse is not painting an alternate route to salvation. It is stating what is true of those who have been saved by grace through faith. They will face rejection by from those they are sent to bless. There is something inside of them that will endure to the end. They will not be saved because they endure, they will endure because they have been saved. Just as salvation is not from the man himself, we can infer that the endurance is not from the man himself.
"Being hated by all men" refers specifically to being hated by those to whom we have been sent to preach the kingdom of heaven. It is the necessary trial that shows our endurance - the endurance of our regenerated nature. It is a distinguishing characteristic of those who have truly been saved.

Nov 30, 2012
It means exactly what it says. Christ was rejected by the world, because the world serves its master, Lucifer. When we accept Christ, the world will turn against us, because we have chosen to serve the true King, and the usurper doesn't like that.

konroh

Sep 17, 2013
The picture of the 12 disciples going out was a foretaste of what they endured after Jesus' death. The disciples endured this task and they endured much suffering after Jesus' death. Whenever we see the word saved we have to ask saved from what? It's not always talking about justification-salvation. This is also a theme Jesus repeats in talking about great future tribulation. But notice how much Jesus talks about rewards in this passage: 32"Therefore everyone who confesses Me before men,I will also confess him before My Father who is in heaven. 39"He who has found his life will lose it, and he who has lost his life for My sake will find it. ... truly I say to you, he shall not lose his reward." I think the salvation Jesus speaks of here is a reward for endurance. Salvation of significance, higher purpose, reward, blessing, acknowledgment before God, eternal lasting weight of glory for earthly suffering.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2012
After instructing his apostles in methods of carrying out the preaching work, Jesus warns them about opposers. He says: “Look! I am sending you forth as sheep amidst wolves…. Be on your guard against men; for they will deliver you up to local courts, and they will scourge you in their synagogues. Why, you will be haled before governors and kings for my sake.”

“Further,” Jesus continues, “brother will deliver up brother to death, and a father his child, and children will rise up against parents and will have them put to death.” He adds: “You will be objects of hatred by all people on account of my name; but he that has endured to the end is the one that will be saved.”

The preaching is of primary importance, so Jesus emphasizes the need for discretion so as to remain free to carry out the work. “When they persecute you in one city, flee to another,” he says, “for truly I say to you, You will by no means complete the circuit of the cities of Israel until the Son of man arrives.”

It is true that Jesus gave this instruction, warning, and encouragement to his 12 apostles, but it was also meant for those who would share in the worldwide preaching after his death and resurrection. This is shown by the fact that he said his disciples would be ‘hated by all people,’ not just by the Israelites to whom the apostles were sent to preach. Further, the apostles evidently were not haled before governors and kings when Jesus sent them out on their short preaching campaign. Moreover, believers were even delivered up to death by family members. This is still happening in our times.

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
Following Jesus is not always easy. Even tonight on TV, I saw a comedian railing against Christians, before my husband turned the channel. He let it be made known that "certain" Christians were deserving of hate. I guess that means anyone who believes the Bible from what his monologue was about.

Besides the verses mentioned above, Jesus also told them his disciples would not be easy.

"And he said to all, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.[SUP]24 [/SUP]For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will save it." Luke 9:23-24

We are blessed to serve Jesus Christ who was hated by the Jews and died for us. Why should we expect to live a different life than Christ did? We just need to follow the Master, even to our death.

For your info, here is a link to a site that reports persecution of Christians around the world, so you know how real being hated is.

The Voice of the Martyrs Canada :: Home Page :: Providing Information and Support for Persecuted Christians

or

https://www.persecution.com/

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
John 17:1) These words spake Jesus, and lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said, Father, the hour is come; glorify thy Son, that thy Son also may glorify thee: 2 .) As thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given him. 3 .) And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent. 4 .) I have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do. 5 .) And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was. 6 .) I have manifested thy name unto the men which thou gavest me out of the world: thine they were, and thou gavest them me; and they have kept thy word. 7 .) Now they have known that all things whatsoever thou hast given me are of thee. 8 .) For I have given unto them the words which thou gavest me; and they have received them, and have known surely that I came out from thee, and they have believed that thou didst send me. 9 .) I pray for them: I pray not for the world, but for them which thou hast given me; for they are thine. 10 .) And all mine are thine, and thine are mine; and I am glorified in them. 11 .) And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are. 12 .) While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name: those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled. 13 .) And now come I to thee; and these things I speak in the world, that they might have my joy fulfilled in themselves. 14 .) I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world. 15 .) I pray not that thou shouldest take them out of the world, but that thou shouldest keep them from the evil. 16 .) They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world. 17 .) Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth. 18 .) As thou hast sent me into the world, even so have I also sent them into the world. 19 .) And for their sakes I sanctify myself, that they also might be sanctified through the truth. 20 .) Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word;

th[5] (2).jpg

Oct 7, 2013
[TABLE="class: MainVerseTable"]

[TR]

[TD="class: VerseHeader"]1pe 4:3[/TD]

[TD="class: VerseBody"]Because for long enough, in times past, we have been living
after the way of the Gentiles, given up to the desires of the flesh, to drinking
and feasting and loose behaviour and unclean worship of images;[/TD]
[/TR]

[TR]

[TD="class: VerseHeader"]1pe 4:4[/TD]

[TD="class: VerseBody"]And they are wondering that you no longer go with them in
this violent wasting of life, and are saying evil things of you:[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Because you as a Christian do not follow in the course of the world; those of the world no longer are fond of you. Your "friends" will no longer be friends. Good riddens, better to have true friends in God than in those of the world who will be executed at the revelation of Jesus from heaven. No one knows the level of persecution you will receive; it can be as simple as a loss of friend, to insults, or even to death as happened with our mentor; Jesus.