Matthew 22:21

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
J

JcsDscpl

I am just curious to hear how people define Matthew 22:21 "Give to Caesar what is Caesar's, and to God what is God's."

May 29, 2012
I am just curious to hear how people define Matthew 22:21 "Give to Caesar what is Caesar's, and to God what is God's."

Romans 7:24-25

24*O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?

25*I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

loveme1

Oct 30, 2011
Yahvah God is above all worldly things and he desires his creation to worship him in Truth and Spirit.

caesar is of this world and requires all to tribute him through "money".....

When Yahshua the Messiah said this:

Matthew 19

16And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life? 17And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments. 18He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, 19Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 20The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet? 21Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me. 22But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions.

23Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven. 24And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God. 25When his disciples heard it, they were exceedingly amazed, saying, Who then can be saved? 26But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

It is the condition of one's heart, the young man realized not that one must Love Yahvah God with all his heart and soul.

His heart was asked who it loved by this request to sell it all.

the possessions, possessed the mans heart.....

Flesh against the Spirit..

Yahvah God is not asking for our money he is asking for our hearts...

starfield

Jun 13, 2009
Obey the government law i.e. paying taxes, and give your hearts to God, time, and offerings for the furtherance of God's work.

Obey those in authority:
Rom 13:6-8
6 For for this cause pay ye tribute also: for they are God's ministers, attending continually upon this very thing.
7 Render therefore to all their dues: tribute to whom tribute is due; custom to whom custom; fear to whom fear; honour to whom honour.
8 Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.
1 Pet 2:13-15
13 Submit yourselves to every ordinance of man for the Lord's sake: whether it be to the king, as supreme;
14 Or unto governors, as unto them that are sent by him for the punishment of evildoers, and for the praise of them that do well.
15 For so is the will of God, that with well doing ye may put to silence the ignorance of foolish men:

W

Walkinginfaith

JcsDscp
2 groups of Religious and Political Leaders plotted to ask Jesus a question about paying taxes to Caesar. These two groups were bitter ememies but came together in attempt to have Jesus arrested. If he agreed to paying taxes he was in violation to the religious group(Pharisees) and if he disagreed in paying taxes he would be in violation to the other group(Goverment). Jesus recognized their intentions. Verse 18-22
18] But Jesus perceived their malice, and said, "Why are you testing Me, you hypocrites? [19] "Show Me the coin used for the poll-tax." And they brought Him a denarius. [20] And He said to them, "Whose likeness and inscription is this?" [21] They said to Him, "Caesar’s." Then He said to them, "Then render to Caesar the things that are Caesar’s; and to God the things that are God’s." [22] And hearing this, they were amazed, and leaving Him, they went away.

I am amazed at how we see simularities today. Our taxes under Goverment Laws= corruption, but here Jesus tells us the money (created by goverment) belongs to the goverment, and what is Gods belongs to God. Our currency is made by our goverment ,therefore it belongs to our goverment. Gods interest is in the Heart. Our heart belongs to God.

We see this even today. The Larger the Govement becames it infringes upon our freedoms of many things including freedom of religion. Bible history has proven a BIG Goverment is not a good thing and paying taxes to the very people(Goverment/Caesar) that hold us in bondage. As Christians we have to remember God has a purpose and plan that is beyond our understanding. And we REST in him, KNOWING he will never leave us or foresake us. Amen

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Everything belongs to our Father, we pay taxes, but never because it is our due, rather it is not to offend the collector, as Yeshua teaches when the man came to collect the head tax. I have never minded paying taxes for what they yield for society such as health, education and welfare. Of course much of that is almost a thing of the past, and this is very sad.

M

mule

Oh no I am torn our money says in God we trust, it has the faces of dead men on it and not the present ruler -- though many countries have the face of their living rulers on it. Example: Saudi Arabia.
So since our money invokes God does that mean it is Gods?
or because there are dead presidents on it does it belong to those dead men?
I know I am sure not going to give it to Ceasar his face isn't on it.
OH I know the solution I will keep the money and use it for the good of God ha ha
Perfect solution right?

T

TAZorek

No one should ever attempt to use God or religion as an excuse to not live within the law. Even if that law is taxation or misrepresented. God knows our needs and will take care of that. We are encouraged to trust and continue as witnesses and stewards. Jesus took the coin and referred to the likeness on it, not the value. Money is a carnal tool and is owned by people. If someone wrote 'In God We Trust' on a brick wall would that make that wall God's wall? Nope. God has value above all created things and Jesus focus was to take our focus off the things of self and man and Give to God what is God's. Honor, Love, Faith and respect.

Apr 6, 2012
When Jesus referenced Caesar at Matthew 22:21, he was down the principle. “Caesar” meant, or symbolized, the civil authority, the state, represented by its duly appointed representatives, called “the superior authorities” by Paul and expressed by Peter as “the king” and his “governors.”-Ro 13:1-7; Titus 3:1; 1 Peter 2:13-17.

Caesar’s “things” were therefore the payment due for services rendered by the secular government and for which services the government levied taxes or tribute. Despite its imperialistic nature, the Roman state provided numerous services for its subject peoples, including the construction of highways, and a form of mail service, as well as the maintenance of civil order and protection from criminal elements. The people paid for these services by taxes. This is underscored by Jesus’ reference to Caesar’s coin, called “the head tax coin.”-Matthew 22:19.

That “Caesar’s” authority to exact payment even from Christians could not be allowed to infringe upon the Christian’s service to God was shown by Jesus’ statement that ‘God’s things should be paid back to God.’ (Matthew 22:21) Jesus’ apostles showed that they understood that their duty toward human authorities was limited, or relative, and not absolute, for when later brought before the Jewish high court they firmly declared: “We must obey God as ruler rather than men,” that is, when human laws or requirements clashed with those of God.-Acts 5:29.