Matthew 5:22 ?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013

But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brother will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to his brother, 'Raca,' will be subject to the Sanhedrin. But anyone who says, 'You fool!' will be subject to the fire of hell.

(Matthew 5:22, BSB)

what is the difference in saying '
raca' and saying 'you fool' ?

why does the latter put a person in danger of hellfire while not ((necessarily)) the former?

is Jesus speaking only to those under the Law, or is this still true for those He redeems?

[TABLE="class: maintext, width: 100%"]
[TR]
[TD="class: strongsnt"]3710 [e][/TD]
[TD="class: translit"]orgizomenos[/TD]
[TD="class: greek2"]ὀργιζόμενος[/TD]
[TD="class: eng"]being angry with[/TD]
[TD="class: pos"]V-PPM/P-NMS[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: strongsnt"]4469 [e][/TD]
[TD="class: translit"]Rhaka[/TD]
[TD="class: greek2"]Ῥακά,[/TD]
[TD="class: eng"]Raca[/TD]
[TD="class: pos"]N-VMS[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: strongsnt"]3474 [e][/TD]
[TD="class: translit"]Mōre[/TD]
[TD="class: greek2"]Μωρέ,[/TD]
[TD="class: eng"]Fool[/TD]
[TD="class: pos"]Adj-VMS[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

what exactly do these three mean and what's the difference ? :confused:

Hizikyah

Aug 25, 2013
Mat 5:22, “But I say to you that whoever is wroth with his brother without a cause shall be liable to judgment. And whoever says to his brother, ‘Raka!’ shall be liable to the Sanhedrin. But whoever says, ‘You fool!’ shall be liable to fire of GĕHinnom."

Don’t jump on me this is a tough passage and much extra biblical study must be done to begin to uncover this one, also I am open to hear other views, but this is what I have been able to put together.

This was a direct shot at the pharisees teaching and culture, for they had certain titles they would give to those who followed their man made teachings and rules and to those who did not. From what I have studied on this it seems to me the first insult is calling someone slow or not intelligent, the second is calling someone without a place in Yah's kingdom, but this is the kicker, it was used by the pharisees as a slur to those who did not follow their man made teaching and were thus proclaimed to be not going to the kingdom or having no place in the after life. Truth is Yahshua said they had no place in the kingdom and also it is clear the pharisees have no say or even knowledge of who is going to enter and who is not going to enter.

Rhaka is Aramaic and means an empty minded person and close to or the actual word used in speech back then

Moros is the Greek placeholder for “am ha aretz,” a phrase the Pharisees used to call those not learned in their man made religion, essentially it was calling someone not right with Yah because they did not know or follow the man made rules of the pharisees, possibly an attempt to discourage or seek to get one to become unfaithful.

G4469 ῥακά rhaka (rha-ka') aram.
O empty one, i.e. thou worthless (as a term of utter vilification).
[of Chaldee origin]
KJV: Raca
Compare: H7386, G955, G4550

G3474 μωρός moros (mō-ros') adj.
1. dull-witted, foolish, mentally slow (as if shut up), i.e. heedless.
2. (apparently) absurd.
[probably from the base of G3466]
KJV: fool(-ish, X -ishness)
Root(s): G3466

Nov 26, 2012
I believe it has less to do with the words, more so it’s a reflection of our hearts. The first says angry with no cause. This usually is a sign of jealousy or covetousness. This is carnal mindedness. The others are labeling others and beating them emotionally. Belief precedes actions. Watch “eye of the storm”. It’s about a teacher who demonstrates the origins of racism to her classroom. When you assault someone with your words first you can cause a ripple effect of anger in them causing them to sin. It also effects how they see themselves effecting future behaviour. If you think you are worthless you will act worthless. Sowing seeds of love brings a harvest of love. Seeds of hate, a harvest of hate.

trofimus

Aug 17, 2015
I do not know :)

Are you also reading Matthew from the beginning because of Christmas? :) I read the same place yesterday and I had the same question in my head.

Mar 28, 2016
While the fool says there is no God in his heart.(always) When the believer denies God in his fleshly heart it makes him foolish. Because God cannot deny he has paid the wage of our sin in full that foolish one will be called back to repentance ..by the same faith he refused to believe and comfort himself with.

O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you? This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?Gal 3:1 O

If we call a person a fool not being able to see into the heart of man it make us foolish and in danger of the hell fire.

Grace is not something we can judge,

I would think it would do with the "faith of Christ" in respect to the work of God that comes from hearing God. If we hear his voice and harden not our hearts we have entered His Sabbath,. If we play the part of a fool our expectations would be like those that devour the enemies .The fools that continually say there is no God in their hearts.

Heb 10:26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins, But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.......(not the foolish believers)

Marcelo

Feb 4, 2016

... anyone who says to his brother, 'Raca,' will be subject to the Sanhedrin. But anyone who says, 'You fool!' will be subject to the fire of hell.

But people who occasionally call others RACA our FOOL are not included in the following list:

I COR 6:9 Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men[SUP]a [/SUP]10nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.

This makes me think that Jesus was just showing what we deserve (according to the full meaning of the Mosaic Law) when we call anyone a fool.

When I was in my twenties I committed a serious traffic violation and a police officer signaled me to pull over. He -- a very polite gentleman -- first showed me what penalty I deserved, gave me a smaller fine and said: "Hopefully this will serve as a learning lesson".

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2013
It seems the latter carries a form of judgment that the first two do not.....in the form of condemnation.....

O

OtherWay210

Thou fool. is Greek. mores.
The Hebrew. nabal. Always = a wicked reprobate, destitute of all spiritual or Divine knowledge
(compare it to John 7:49).

To give a simple answer, if you set yourself up as a judge over your brother, basically, you're taking Gods place in judgment.
Because The word means someone who is totally incapable of salvation, or hope of obtaining it or understanding Gods law.
The other aspect to this which makes it no less worse, its being done without cause too .

You're in effect judging someone to hell in the example .. A Christian is not a judge in that regard .

O

OtherWay210

Thou fool. is Greek. moros. i meant