May Have Been Too Honest with a Friend D:

• Thread starter Ashleys_Broken_Hallelujah
  • Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
A

Ashleys_Broken_Hallelujah

I met a girl at one of our church's small groups that I started going to when I was new to the church. Prayer requests were a part of it, and one of hers was that she was having side effects from a new medication she was taking for anxiety. I struggle with clinical anxiety as well, and since she had been particularly welcoming and kind to me, I came to her for support. Since then, we've become great friends (She knows more about me than any of my other friends.) One of those being that I have trouble articulating my thoughts, and that that makes prayer a struggle for me too. We were talking on Facebook last night, and this one of the messages I sent her:

"I spent some time praying, but I got stuck when it came to for myself specifically. Obviously I know what my struggles are, but not how to address them in prayer?

A

Hmm, the whole post didn't show up. I'm typing the rest of it now.

A

"I spent some time praying, but I got stuck when it came to praying for myself specifically. Obviously I know what my struggles are, but not how to address them in prayer? So I'm going to ask you the stupidest question ever: What do you pray for when you pray for me? I am a stupid person right now. :(" She's seen it (Facebook tells you that) but she hasn't replied, and she always replies right away, so I'm thinking she can't argue that that was stupid of me. :( So my question is this: What could I say to "play it cool" and make her not​ think I'm stupid?? :(

L

lav

i think you're okay, just leave it alone and give her time to reply. if she asks what you meant, maybe say something like ' i'm confused in my prayer life and since you're my friend, wondered if you had any insights on some things that would be important for me to pray about. '

L

lav

maybe if you feel embarrassed say that you felt silly asking but that you're genuinely stuck when it comes to praying for yourself.

J

JustAnotherUser

What Lav said. If she continues to ignore then just leave it alone. I'm guessing that anxiety doesn't make you actually say much of what you think as clearly or can ever be put into words even though the words are/were in your head all that time? Kind of like practicing a speech and then when it comes to standing in front of the audience, you have nothing to say... If so then I kind of struggle with a similar issue for that, but I never would think that anxiety had much of a play into it. I always thought it was just me. :/

R

Raine

It sounds like she is a true friend. She may be shy about sharing that info or maybe is not use to it. It can be encouraging to share what you pray for others because it lifts them up in their times of need. :)

U

Ugly

I met a girl at one of our church's small groups that I started going to when I was new to the church. Prayer requests were a part of it, and one of hers was that she was having side effects from a new medication she was taking for anxiety. I struggle with clinical anxiety as well, and since she had been particularly welcoming and kind to me, I came to her for support. Since then, we've become great friends (She knows more about me than any of my other friends.) One of those being that I have trouble articulating my thoughts, and that that makes prayer a struggle for me too. We were talking on Facebook last night, and this one of the messages I sent her:

"I spent some time praying, but I got stuck when it came to for myself specifically. Obviously I know what my struggles are, but not how to address them in prayer?
Intelligence comes in many forms. If you struggle with one area, such as articulating your thoughts, that doesn't mean you are stupid. It simply means that is one aspect that you struggle with. But, really, you don't show any signs of making yourself clear. Nothing in this post indicates you are particularly bad in getting your thoughts across. I suspect is has more to do with how you're viewing yourself, and less to do with it being a real problem.

Also, if you tend to talk about yourself by using insults often this can turn others off. Rather than saying 'i'm stupid' try just asking your question more simply. 'Hey, i'm not really sure how to pray about this, would you mind if i ask how you pray about it?'. Something similar to that.

But really, think about what you're asking. You approached this girl telling her 'i'm stupid', now you're asking us how you can make her think you're not stupid. Try by not saying it yourself. If you don't respect yourself, others will not respect you either.
In reality, though, you have no evidence that she even thinks that. All you know right now is she hasn't responded,but you don't know why. Give it some time and maybe she'll respond and offer an explanation. Or give her a day or two and then message her again and ask if everythings ok. That you were worried since about her since she hasn't responded to your question. Maybe something is going on in her life that is making it hard for her to respond. You never know. Don't be so quick to assume you know what people are thinking.

May 3, 2013
maybe if you feel embarrassed say that you felt silly asking but that you're genuinely stuck when it comes to praying for yourself.
I love you, little big friend.