Mayweather v Pacquiao: All you need to know about the big fight

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
V

Viligant_Warrior

Max,

Read post #53. Check out the linked article, upon which is based the support for what I stated, what I believe to be true, and not just because the article says so.

If you have questions or want further discussion, then repost. Thanks.

V

Viligant_Warrior

$400M fraud? Fans fight back after learning wounded Pacquiao had little shot against Mayweather

Manny Pacquiao took a beating at the fists of Floyd Mayweather Jr. in Saturday's $400 million boxing match, but now it is fans who want a piece of the Filipino fighter after learning he was damaged goods when he entered the ring.

Pacquiao disclosed after losing a unanimous decision in Las Vegas that he had suffered a rotator cuff injury prior to the bout, and re-injured it in the fourth round. That might have explained Pacquiao's lackluster performance, which left fans who ponied up $100 pay-per-view fees almost as angry as bettors who wagered that Mayweather would lose for the first time in his career.
Just exactly what I said earlier in this thread.

That's it. I was almost done with boxing as it was. Now I'm done for good. There's no honesty, no athleticism, no character in that "sport" -- and Max, even the amateurs pull stunts like this.

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
Just exactly what I said earlier in this thread.

That's it. I was almost done with boxing as it was. Now I'm done for good. There's no honesty, no athleticism, no character in that "sport" -- and Max, even the amateurs pull stunts like this.
I would never claim ANY professional sport is completely ethical.

I don't think we have all the facts, only that there was an injury.
I also read he tried to get a pain shot for the injury, so he could fight properly, and the boxing commission wouldn't allow it.
This might speak of corruption, but not necessarily on the part of the fighter... I'm sure we don't have all the data yet.

Regardless of the facts, as they come out, I would NEVER claim ANY professional sport is completely ethical.

That has never been my contention.

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
Max,

Read post #53. Check out the linked article, upon which is based the support for what I stated, what I believe to be true, and not just because the article says so.

If you have questions or want further discussion, then repost. Thanks.

Until you can provide better sources and documentation,
I'm going to have to call "bogus" on this entire article.

There may be all kinds of problems with boxing, that may be true, but this article doesn't support that.

1. You quote from this article
90 percent of boxers suffer brain injuries; only sport without concussion policy - The News Outlet

2. The website WHICH CREATED this article is questionable, and very likely to contain a liberal bias.

This article is created and written specifically FOR “thenewsoutlet.com”. This website claims it is a “collaborative effort among public universities in Northeastern Ohio”. Since most universities in America are WELL KNOWN to have an EXTREMELY LIBERAL BIAS, then frankly, that alone is enough to at least "question" the veracity of the article. (This article has zero documentation.)

3. This article gives ZERO documentation for it's claims... therefore, bogus until documented.
It immediately gets a mark of "bogus" until the claims it makes can be verified.

It does CLAIM that it's information comes from “The American Association of Neurological Surgeons.” But this is NEVER documented. There is no weblink, no article, no book, no document, no scientific study... nothing. All documentation is so noticeably absent that it seems intentional.

4. There are a number of provably illogical claims in the article.
However, since it makes claims with ZERO documentation, there is no point, as of yet, to even bother dissecting them.

Please Note:
I'm not saying the lack of documentation in this article is any reflection on YOU,
or that your premise might not be valid.
I'm just stating this is an undocumented, and therefore invalid, article.

Last edited:
T

TecumsehGR

I thoroughly enjoyed the fight. Mayweather's a master technician. He kept Pacquiao at the end of his jab all night and prevented him from unleashing flurries by tying him up when he came in tight. What you guys call running, I call tremendous footwork. Mayweather has fought this way his entire career. Pacquiao never stood a chance to win, even if he were without injury; he does a terrible job of cutting off the ring, has never handled counterpunchers like Floyd well, and had at least a five inch reach disadvantage. If you're wanting to see two guys stand in front of each other and bang, then start watching Golovkin fight.

Last edited by a moderator:
V

Viligant_Warrior

Until you can provide better sources and documentation,
I'm going to have to call "bogus" on this entire article.
While you're right about the website's reputation, even blind hogs find a cob of corn every now and then. They got this one right.

American Association of Neurological Surgeons: Sports-Related Head Injury

Boxing Over time, professional and amateur boxers can suffer permanent brain damage. The force of a professional boxer's fist is equivalent to being hit with a 13-pound bowling ball traveling 20 miles per hour, or about 52 times the force of gravity.
According to the Journal of Combative Sport, from January of 1960 to August of 2011, there were 488 boxing-related deaths. The journal attributes 66 percent of these deaths to head, brain or neck injuries; one was attributed to a skull fracture.

There are boxers with minimal involvement and those that are so severely affected that they require institutional care. There are some boxers with varying degrees of speech difficulty, stiffness, unsteadiness, memory loss and inappropriate behavior. In several studies, 15-40 percent of ex-boxers have been found to have symptoms of chronic brain injury. Most of these boxers have mild symptoms. Recent studies have shown that most professional boxers (even those without symptoms) have some degree of brain damage [Emphasis added by V_W].
Did you see that, Max? 488 deaths!
In all the history of football, there have been fewer than 10. In fact, there are more deaths related to steroid use among ex-NFL players than there have been TBI (traumatic brain injury), and when those 10 head-injury deaths happened, Teddy Roosevelt issued an executive order that temporarily banned playing the game of football.

Countless thousands injured, some debilitatingly, for life, and who knows the real number, since, as the neurosurgeons say here, most have damage and may not even show symptoms. Compared to football, soccer, and other professional sports, this number represents an epidemic, and none of the federations are doing anything about it. Later in the article is this disturbing piece of information:

Second Impact Syndrome (SIS) results from acute, sometimes fatal brain swelling that occurs when a second concussion is sustained before complete recovery from a previous concussion. This causes vascular congestion and increased intracranial pressure, which may be difficult or impossible to control. The risk for SIS is higher for sports such as boxing, football, ice or roller hockey, soccer, baseball, basketball and snow skiing.
If you want to defend boxing, fine. But you don't have a leg to stand on, medically speaking. But go ahead -- dissect away, if you can.

Last edited:
T

TecumsehGR

Did you see that, Max? 488 deaths!
In all the history of football, there have been fewer than 10. In fact, there are more deaths related to steroid use among ex-NFL players than there have been TBI (traumatic brain injury), and when those 10 head-injury deaths happened, Teddy Roosevelt issued an executive order that temporarily banned playing the game of football.
I'm not sure where you got the number ten from. This says that there's been over a 1,000 deaths resulting directly from football since 1932: http://www.unc.edu/depts/nccsi/2012FBInj.pdf

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
Vigilant_Warrior,

You last posted this article about boxing injuries:
AANS - Sports-related Head Injury

1. It lists the TOP 20 SPORTS CAUSING BRAIN INJURIES...

BOXING IS NOT EVEN ON THE TOP 20 LIST!
Cherry picking data? Tired? Trying to catch a movie instead of doing proper debate on silly, pointless topics?
: )

2. These are the sports LISTED with the most brain injuries.

Cycling:
Football: 46,948
Baseball and Softball: 38,394
Basketball: 34,692
Water Sports (Diving, Scuba Diving, Surfing, Swimming, Water Polo, Water Skiing, Water Tubing): 28,716
Powered Recreational Vehicles (ATVs, Dune Buggies, Go-Carts, Mini bikes, Off-road): 26,606
Soccer: 24,184
Skateboards/Scooters: 23,114
Fitness/Exercise/Health Club: 18,012
Winter Sports (Skiing, Sledding, Snowboarding, Snowmobiling): 16,948
Horseback Riding: 14,466
Gymnastics/Dance/Cheerleading: 10,223
Golf: 10,035
Hockey: 8,145
Other Ball Sports and Balls, Unspecified: 6,883
Trampolines: 5,919
Rugby/Lacrosse: 5,794
Roller and Inline Skating: 3,320
Ice Skating: 4,608
NO BOXING LISTED HERE

3. When the article eventually mentions Boxing, it gives VIRTUALLY no specific data.

"boxers can suffer permanent brain damage."
- This states boxing "can" cause brain damage, not that it actually "does at any particular frequency".
- Remember, boxing isn't even listed in the top 20 sports causing brain damage!
- I'm pretty sure falling off the sofa can also cause brain damage.

"from January of 1960 to August of 2011, there were 488 boxing-related deaths."
- Where is the actual document? The link given doesn't even go to a document!
- Without a document we have to call "bogus".
- If there's a real document, who collected that data?
- If there's a real document, Who verified that data?
- If there's a real document, then 488 Boxing related deaths from WHERE?
- If these deaths ever occurred, then are these deaths in an actual ring with headgear and a referee,
or in somebody's basement in Guatamala?

"There are boxers with minimal involvement and those that are so severely affected that they require institutional care."
- This does NOT ACTUALLY SAY ANYTHING!
- There are no numbers, no statistics, no data of any kind.
- There are CHEERLEADERS that were injured and need institutional care...
without NUMBERS and FACTS this sentence about boxing means nothing.

4. What are my favorite words and phrases in this article?

My favorite WORDS in this article:
can, some, most, severely
None of these words mean anything; they aren’t numbers, and they aren’t data.
It's meaningless.

My favorite PHRASE in this article:
recent studies have shown
These are “recent studies” with no documentation, no name, no research group, no link... really.

There are few actual numbers about boxing injuries in this article, and when there IS a number, there is no clear documentation, lots of hyperbole, and just MORE UNANSWERED QUESTIONS.

Vigilant_Warrior,

I'm sure you're a great guy,
but your forte doesn't seem to be researching boxing injuries.
No big deal.
It's not my forte either.

I'm sure it's just my imagination, or maybe my bad eyesight, but everything you posted seemed to have an odd appearance of being cherry picked.
To get down to the part of the article covering boxing...
you first had to SKIP OVER the ENTIRE SECTION showing that MOST BRAIN INJURIES ACTUALLY OCCUR in OTHER SPORTS!

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and just assume you were tired, or maybe distracted.

I'm sure you're a good guy, and we don't need to be arguing forever about something as silly as boxing.

I don't have any more time to dig through these articles,
and I'm sure you don't have time to keep posting them.
I'm going to call it a day.

Post whatever you need to post on this topic,
but this is taking up way too much time...
and I'm sure you feel the same.
It's been fun.

God Bless,
Max

Last edited:
V

Viligant_Warrior

Vigilant_Warrior,

You last posted this article about boxing injuries:
AANS - Sports-related Head Injury

1. It lists the TOP 20 SPORTS CAUSING BRAIN INJURIES...

BOXING IS NOT EVEN ON THE TOP 20 LIST!
That's because the list is compiled based on occurrences, and there are not anywhere near as many boxers as there are participants/players in the other sports. Find me a sport that has recorded as many deaths as boxing, and you'll have a point. Your post irrationally ignores that glaring fact, and that fact utterly destroys all the rest of your arguments.

Youi're right. We don't have to argue about something as silly as boxing. But now we're discussing TBI and its ecorded occurrences in the various major sports. Boxing is by far the most dangerous sport regarding TBI -- no headgear is required even at the amateur level, except (as it happens) in the Kansas City Region Golden Gloves. No other Gloves events have deemed it necessary, which is utterly ignorant, in my opinion. If you don't believe the neurosurgeons regarding that, I don't believe we have anything else to say.